Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Berrios (Again, yea, sorry)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Watched the futures game and the short film posted elsewhere on this forum. Berrios looked very short when next to other players. Clearly this is not a reliable way to judge height, but the appearance of being less than tall was unmistakeable. I've tended to have a kind of a dismissive attitude about questions raised about his height. A question...do we know factually what his actual height really is? I don't think 6 ft is an insurmountable problem, but 5' 9" or 5' 10" might be.

#2 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

The video was probably deceiving - Kennys Vargas and Alex Meyer are TALL. Meyer is 6'8" so Berrios would definitely look short compared to him.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

The video was probably deceiving - Kennys Vargas and Alex Meyer are TALL. Meyer is 6'8" so Berrios would definitely look short compared to him.

[FONT=Verdana]Alex John Meyer (twitter: @Meyer17A)[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Position: Pitcher
Bats: Right, Throws: Right
Height: 6' 9", Weight: 220 lb.

Actually listed at 6'9".....EVERTBODY looks short next to The Big Unit 2.0[/FONT]

#4 twins1961

twins1961

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

First time posting here. Appreciate reading all the posts, Thanks to everyone for contributing to an entertaining and informational site. After reading all the national experts assessment of Jose Berrios, why has no one compared him to Pedro Martinez who was 1 1/2 inch shorter and 27 pounds lighter at the same age. Pedro's multiple CY awards certainly give credence to the fact that you don't have to be 6'4" 225 lbs in order to win at the MLB level.

#5 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Also two Hall-of-Fame pitchers Whitey Ford and Greg Maddux were quite small, weren't they? If Berrios puts up numbers half as good as those two he will be the number one pitcher in any sort of rotation for any team. Oops, forgot Glavine also.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

do we know factually what his actual height really is? I don't think 6 ft is an insurmountable problem, but 5' 9" or 5' 10" might be.

Yes. I stood next to him by the minor league ballparks last ST. That 6'0" is about right and was not pitching and was wearing trainers not cleats. He is about the same height as Glen Perkins and Brian Duensing for reference, maybe even a tad taller.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

How tall is that unhittable closer from Atlanta?

#8 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

How tall is that unhittable closer from Atlanta?

Tall enough.