Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

KLaw rankings

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

According to KLaw, #MNTwins have the number 2 (Buxton), 11 (Sano), 19 (Stewart), 25 (Gordon), 42 (Meyer) and 50 (Berrios) prospects.

#2 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:36 AM

According to KLaw, #MNTwins have the number 2 (Buxton), 11 (Sano), 19 (Stewart), 25 (Gordon), 42 (Meyer) and 50 (Berrios) prospects.

Wow, KLaw has someone other than Buxton as number 1. Most of the midseason rankings still had him as number 1 that I have seen. Who does KLaw have as number 1?

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Wow, KLaw has someone other than Buxton as number 1. Most of the midseason rankings still had him as number 1 that I have seen. Who does KLaw have as number 1?

Bryant is his #1 (think it's ok to post that here since that part of the article is not behind the "insiders only" curtain.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#4 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:43 AM

Bryant is his #1 (think it's ok to post that here since that part of the article is not behind the "insiders only" curtain.

Sickles has Bryant number 1 too. I think this will be the new ranking trend unless Buxton starts dominating again.

#5 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

I can't really blame him. I love Buxton, but when you don't play and someone else his .333 with 31 HR and 25 2B in half a season at AA and AAA.....

Also interesting to note that Law has Meyer and Berrios as high as he does (42 and 50). I have heard him suggest on chats that neither will pan out. The logic used on Meyer is that Randy Johnson is basically the only pitcher 6'9 or taller that had a good career as a starter and that Berrios is too short and does not have a downward plane or much movement on the FB.

#6 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Law was a early and big Gordon fan, so all these rankings seem in line with his comments.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

Do we have a link for this article for those people to go to?

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Have to be excited about the Twins future with a balanced three pitchers and three position players in the top 50 and several other very good players in the system as well. Just a little more time and these guys will start to trickle in and make this team better. Nice to see consensus on the top 50 lists.

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Law was a early and big Gordon fan, so all these rankings seem in line with his comments.

Agree, I have not seen Gordon on anyone else's top 50. Honorable mention on one I believe.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Agree, I have not seen Gordon on anyone else's top 50. Honorable mention on one I believe.

Many mid-season lists don't include recent draftees.

Also of note is that Rondon (#10) is the only other 2014 draftee ahead of Gordon on Law's list.
Papers...business papers.

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

http://insider.espn....ts?refresh=true

"If you want to yell and scream that he's (Buxton) really the best prospect in baseball -- instead of Bryant -- I wont put up much of a fight. I'd gladly take either guy in my system."

Ranking Berrios number 50.....can we now get over the "KLAW hates the Twins" comments forever please?
Lighten up Francis....

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

I can't really blame him. I love Buxton, but when you don't play and someone else his .333 with 31 HR and 25 2B in half a season at AA and AAA.....

Also interesting to note that Law has Meyer and Berrios as high as he does (42 and 50). I have heard him suggest on chats that neither will pan out. The logic used on Meyer is that Randy Johnson is basically the only pitcher 6'9 or taller that had a good career as a starter and that Berrios is too short and does not have a downward plane or much movement on the FB.

Law did note that if someone wants to put Buxton at #1 he wouldn't really argue and that his ceiling remains the same.

I think this shows just how good Bryant has been this year.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,331 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

He got Gordon too high, I think. But I also think that he is not even the Twins' top SS prospect (Polanco is.) Time will tell.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

I don't agree Gordon is too high, but then I've been on his bandwagon since March or so.....
Lighten up Francis....

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

With the caveat that midseason rankings aren't as solid as preseason rankings, it was a big surprise to see Berrios #50. Klaw said in a chat about a month ago that he wasn't a top 100 prospect yet. Must have seen something he liked at the futures game.

I don't have any problem with Buxton being #2 to Bryant - Klaw wasn't entirely sure that Buxton shouldn't have been #1 anyway. Let's just hope Buxton finishes the year strong and dominates the AFL. I'm really glad to see a lot of scouting people - Klaw, Sickels, Callis etc - rate Stewart so high.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

KLAW mentions that Sano is "most likely" not a 3B long term......

Really, if you are a baseball fan, you should pay for insider to read KLAW and Crawford (and some great NFL stuff if you like that too). It isn't that much money, I pay primarily for KLAW and NFL draft stuff.
Lighten up Francis....

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

I think Buxton slipped with either fangraphs or BA recently too. The injury cost him something... that and Bryant's 1.15 OPS right now between AA and AAA. The guy can hit.

#18 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Six out of 50 is pretty astounding when you think about it. I'm guessing that the rest of the AL Central combined has maybe 3 prospects on this list of 50. Lindor for sure, and after that, probably none ranked higher than Stewart.

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:21 AM

Six out of 50 is pretty astounding when you think about it. I'm guessing that the rest of the AL Central combined has maybe 3 prospects on this list of 50. Lindor for sure, and after that, probably none ranked higher than Stewart.

Rodon at 10.

Zimmer and Mondesi from KC in the 20s.

But yes, 6 Twins vs. 4 from rest of AL Central.

#20 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,829 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

I don't have a subscription but someone already posted taht White Sox' Rodon is a top 10 guy. Cleveland has Lindor and Frazier, both probably top 50, Lindor may be top 10. Not sure if Tigers or Royals (Zimmer?) would have anyone in the top 50.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

Four from the rest of the central, two higher than Stewart

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,259 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Rodon at 10.

Zimmer and Mondesi from KC in the 20s.

But yes, 6 Twins vs. 4 from rest of AL Central.

Sorry, 5 from the Central, I forgot Frazier from Cleveland.

EDIT: Check that again, Frazier didn't make the list, so it is 4.

Edited by drjim, 17 July 2014 - 10:44 AM.

#23 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

With the caveat that midseason rankings aren't as solid as preseason rankings, it was a big surprise to see Berrios #50. Klaw said in a chat about a month ago that he wasn't a top 100 prospect yet. Must have seen something he liked at the futures game.

I don't have any problem with Buxton being #2 to Bryant - Klaw wasn't entirely sure that Buxton shouldn't have been #1 anyway. Let's just hope Buxton finishes the year strong and dominates the AFL. I'm really glad to see a lot of scouting people - Klaw, Sickels, Callis etc - rate Stewart so high.

Honestly I was surprised with KLaw's paragraph of commentary on Berrios. He draws multiple comparisons to Yordana Ventura in terms of velocity, delivery, size and stuff. Actually even says Berrios' slider is farther along at the same stage. Much more favorable review than I would have expected out of KLaw.

#24 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

This is really surprising that Berrios is that high. KLaw doesn't like the height issue with him for sure, but he must see enough stuff to rank him this high.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,566 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

This is encouraging... For all those Law disciples, maybe this ranking can stop some of the complaining about Kohl Stewart's lack of strikeouts. I like this ranking. I'm good with where Gordon is, though I personally probably won't rank him that high... but we'll see. Berrios at 50 is fine. The rest are fine where they are. Buxton at #2 isn't a bad thing at all.

#26 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'm really glad to see a lot of scouting people - Klaw, Sickels, Callis etc - rate Stewart so high.

This x10!

While many on TD are downgrading Stewart's stock because of the lack of SO, he seems to be flying up the charts of other talent evaluators. At 19, I doubt there are many pitchers ahead of Stewart on the list that are 19 years old (and not named Lucas Giolito)!

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

19, and a guy that really used to concentrate on football, that's a big key, imo, in judging his progress. Big fan.
Lighten up Francis....

#28 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

In a couple years we can all be screaming about Stewart getting blocked to the majors because of Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May, and Berrios?

#29 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

19, and a guy that really used to concentrate on football, that's a big key, imo, in judging his progress. Big fan.

Absolutely, as well as the focus on his non slider at the moment.

#30 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

Kohl Stewart...#19!!

The thing with Kris Bryant...great avg, power, but strikes out in 27% of his PA. Sabermetrically speaking that's the most consistent stat to continue...he'll likely strike out 30-33% of his PA in a season. So around 180-210 K a year. So maybe a little better AVG than Adam Dunn or Mark Reynolds - but the similar 35-40 HR.

Miguel Sano had 27% as well.

Joey Gallo, the other 80 grade power prospect, is at 32% at A+/AA ball.

To look back at other high HR high K guys, Chris Davis would be comparable. He had 199 K last year in 673 PA last year...he had 24% K rate in his AA/AAA season.