Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Trade Candidate: Kurt Suzuki

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#91 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

Someone help me with the logic here. It is best to sign him to an extension that is so high that you could likely sign him in the off season for less? They are afraid if they trade him someone else will extend him? Or they are afraid no matter what they do they can't outbid other teams for his services in FA?

How will the catchers we have get better unless they get experience? I am not understanding the extension logic for such a high price.

#92 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

Any leaked news that the Twins are looking to keep or even extend Suzuki might give a little more leverage.

#93 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Both the Cardinals and Orioles have comp picks.

Harvey's stock has improved (up to #35 in BA's midseason Top 50), while Rodriguez has dropped off a bit (only in two of four's personal Top 75).

The Twins tried to get Rodriguez from the Orioles for Willingham last August. Would the Orioles still have interest in Hammer with Steve Pearce playing well? Maybe Suzuki and Hammer could bring back Rodriguez and the Comp B pick?

The Cardinals have three appealing pitchers - Marco Gonzalez, Rob Kaminsky and Alex Reyes. One of them and the Comp A pick for Suzuki and the Comp B pick? Comp picks can only be traded once, though, and that chip seems to be one they want to play for David Price.

If the Twins had to throw in a lower-level pitcher (or a mid-level reliever) and/or money to make the pot sweeter, I'd still pull the trigger.

The Twins would be making a huge mistake not cashing in their biggest asset.

#94 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Mlbtraderumors just said St. Louis is close on AJ.

On one hand you can get mad at Ryan for not acting sooner. On the other the reality is the Cardinals probably weren't going to give up anything of substance.

#95 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:53 PM

#96 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Classic Twins. Be terrified of losing a 32 year old catcher.

#97 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

If the Twins sign Suzuki for a multi year deal it will be a mistake.

You can take that to the bank.

#98 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:33 PM

If the other teams don't value Suzuki enough to offer a moderate return, it should also be a sign that he won't be valued at the level of Ruiz or Salty in the market this winter.

#99 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

The Twins should actively target the Dodgers with Suzuki. Offense from their catchers is non-existent, and they have a slew of interesting prospects. Maybe Suzuki and Duensing or another bullpen arm would make them listen on Joc Pederson.

#100 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

The Twins should actively target the Dodgers with Suzuki. Offense from their catchers is non-existent, and they have a slew of interesting prospects. Maybe Suzuki and Duensing or another bullpen arm would make them listen on Joc Pederson.

Could even add Adam Brett Walker.
Papers...business papers.

#101 HansGruber

HansGruber

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

I highly doubt this is the type of deal that would make the Dodgers willing to part with Pederson, their top prospect. I think we need to set our expectations a little lower such as a Chris Reed, Matt Magill, Tim Windle type prospect.

#102 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Could even add Adam Brett Walker.

Shhhh! You're calling him up too early for that position!
  • diehardtwinsfan likes this

#103 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,669 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

I highly doubt this is the type of deal that would make the Dodgers willing to part with Pederson, their top prospect. I think we need to set our expectations a little lower such as a Chris Reed, Matt Magill, Tim Windle type prospect.

Throw in Perkins and the Dodgers might listen on a package that included Pederson.

#104 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

If the Dodgers won't trade Pederson or Seager for David Price, we are dreaming that a Suzuki package would net either.

The focus should be the Orioles. The Orioles. They are 3 games up on both NY and Toronto, and TB is only 6.5 back after winning 9 straight. Nick Hundley is 0-17 in the past 2 weeks and Caleb Joseph is hitting .197.

Stars are aligned for a trade. If the O's lose today or a couple of games before Thursday, the Twins' leverage would increase.

If I were TR, I would say "tell me who I need to add to Suzuki to pry Dylan Bundy (or Hunter Harvey) free."

#105 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

The O's match up well.  I don't think you get Bundy, but TR probably starts there and 'settles' for someone a bit lower on the chain. 

#106 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I admire the optimism, but the don't think there is any chance they get a Bundy or Harvey in a deal centered on Suzuki - unless they add top 10 prospect back. From the Twins perspective, it's good to see the Yankees continue to deal, and force the issue though. Hopefully that will make the Orioles sweat a little and do something stupid. 

#107 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

Shhhh! You're calling him up too early for that position!

I think the requirement is that Duensing has to be traded first for Walker to take his role.

#108 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

I think the requirement is that Duensing has to be traded first for Walker to take his role.

Oh yeah...but it's clearly his spot to take soon!

#109 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I don't think Suzuki will get traded until the deadline as most teams who might be interested in his services also need pitching depth so will have to see what resources teams use to acquire pitching before they turn to Hitters.  

The one team it seems to me that should be very interested in Suzuki is the Mariners.  That team needs all the offense they can get.  They already have a good pitching staff but they need hitters.  Suzuki would give them what they need most which is a dependable bat.

LAD could use an offensive catcher as well and if they want to beat the Cardinals they need hitters at every position.  They have two offensive (literally and figuratively) black holes at catcher.  Suzuki would be a big upgrade for them as well.  

the Orioles could use a catcher but I think they could use an ace or near ace pitcher more.  It will take to the deadline to see where the chips fall and what desperation can bring the Twins way.

#110 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:51 PM

I don't think Suzuki will get traded until the deadline as most teams who might be interested in his services also need pitching depth so will have to see what resources teams use to acquire pitching before they turn to Hitters.  

The one team it seems to me that should be very interested in Suzuki is the Mariners.  That team needs all the offense they can get.  They already have a good pitching staff but they need hitters.  Suzuki would give them what they need most which is a dependable bat.

LAD could use an offensive catcher as well and if they want to beat the Cardinals they need hitters at every position.  They have two offensive (literally and figuratively) black holes at catcher.  Suzuki would be a big upgrade for them as well.  

the Orioles could use a catcher but I think they could use an ace or near ace pitcher more.  It will take to the deadline to see where the chips fall and what desperation can bring the Twins way.

But the flip side is Suzuki is not going to cost the O's what an ace or close to it pitcher would.

#111 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Add Jim Bowden to the Suzuki to the O's bandwagon:

http://insider.espn....leastobjectives

Lefty pitcher Tim Berry to the Minnesota Twins in exchange for Suzuki. The Twins have been unable to extend Suzuki and are still looking to build up their pitching staff for the future. Berry would give them a solid No. 3 starter, while the Orioles would get the perfect stopgap for the injured Matt Wieters.  

#112 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Berry strikes me as a mid rotation starter kind of guy... Not doing bad at all in AA.   Would like that K rate to be a up a bit, but at 7.5/9, he's not bad. 

#113 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

Berry strikes me as a mid rotation starter kind of guy... Not doing bad at all in AA.   Would like that K rate to be a up a bit, but at 7.5/9, he's not bad. 

Berry is already on the 40-man roster (must have been added last winter to protect him from the Rule 5), which could be a reason for Baltimore to move him in trade.  This is the first of his three option years.  (50th round draft pick from 2009!)

Sickels had him at C+, #10 for Baltimore preseason, "potential fourth starter."

He is a LHP, and his stats remind me a bit of Logan Darnell, although Darnell needed to repeat AA at age 24 to get that K rate up to respectable levels.  Berry's K rate has been pretty consistent his whole career.

#114 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:43 PM

Add Jim Bowden to the Suzuki to the O's bandwagon:

http://insider.espn....leastobjectives

Hmm.  I thought the O's would be all in and their pitching isn't great but maybe they feel the top prospects are ready soon or worth waiting for?  I would think they would be interested in Price or Lester. I guess the cost must be way too high.  Would be cool if they want Suzuki but I would hope we could find a guy not on the 40 man and maybe with a higher ceiling but I am probably dreaming.

#115 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Hmm.  I thought the O's would be all in and their pitching isn't great but maybe they feel the top prospects are ready soon or worth waiting for?  I would think they would be interested in Price or Lester. I guess the cost must be way too high.  Would be cool if they want Suzuki but I would hope we could find a guy not on the 40 man and maybe with a higher ceiling but I am probably dreaming.

Probably dreaming. Berry is a solid return for 2 months of Suzuki. Just don't think higher ceiling arms get moved for position player rentals.

#116 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

Probably dreaming. Berry is a solid return for 2 months of Suzuki. Just don't think higher ceiling arms get moved for position player rentals.

That's probably true, but I'd imagine the further down on the list you get, the more upside you can receive. There's generally a lot more upside down in the lower levels simply b/c they haven't matured. As it is, this team has a bit of a pitching glut in the majors/high minors with Hughes, Nolasco, Gibson, Meyer, May, Darnell, Pelfrey, Gilmartin, Berrios, and even marginal guys like Johnson and Pino. Adding one more to that mix isn't going to help sort that picture out. I get the 40 man considerations, but I do think that there's merit in getting guys lower on the totem pole. Unless Baltimore is sending over an above average corner OF or C that can slot in sometime next year, I think I'd prefer going further down the ladder. In the end, Ryan will take the best value. Berry isn't a bad take at all for this, but I'd be holding out for a bit more.

#117 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,137 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Berry was a guy I discussed last season for Morneau.

#118 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Read an update on MLB trade Rumors that Suzuki was also being scouted by the Giants... the Twins have had success trading catchers to San Fran before....

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#119 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,047 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

1. #Orioles out on Kurt Suzuki -- Per @Joelsherman1 and @Ken_Rosenthal .

#120 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

Well, as much as I'm an advocate for getting something for Suzuki rather than letting him walk....if a team like the Orioles is unwilling to give up something with some sort of future potential, then I say hold on to him. No sense in giving him away just to help the Orioles or any other team win.