Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Contact Kings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...3-Contact-Kings

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Not to mention that the Twins used to be a top five defensive team year in and year out. If you're going to pitch to contact you need stellar defense behind you. That's no longer the case.

#3 James Richter

James Richter

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:10 AM

The majority of the defensive metrics I've seen have rated the Twins' defense as average to slightly above, underscoring Nick's closing point.

#4 frightwig

frightwig

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

I just noticed that 4/5 of the regular rotation to this point (excluding Diamond) has a K/9 below 5. Liriano is the only one missing bats; unfortunately, he also can't find the plate, gives up too many homers, and has an unlucky BABIP to this point.

#5 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

I'm still not understanding why Slama's not given a fair chance? Has he done something to make him a black sheep?

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

2006 also featured Francisco Liriano and Pat Neshek is pretty dominant form. Dennys Reyes and Juan Rincon also struck out a lot of guys. Slama is getting the shaft and I don't understand it.

#7 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Nick - First off, nice article I know we are paying attention to k's but it would be nice to compare FIPs there too, to see if fielding has had any impact. Also...maybe Diamond can continue this?! lol sample size.

#8 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

I'm surprised that somebody who wrote an article this good would have anything positive to say about Brackin's blatant propaganda piece about pitching to contact. The lack of (true) supporting evidence in it was unforgivable, even for a second-rate rag like the Strib.