Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: All-Star Stream of Consciousness

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...am-of-Conscious

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,625 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Brad Childresses lasting contribution to the sports world... stream of consciousness.

Did you get to ask Jennie Finch how Casey is doing these days? Is he still in baseball?

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Really enjoyed the Futures Game, as well.

You obviously can't read too much in to one inning of work each for Berrios and Meyer, or even a full game of ABs for Vargas. If one or more had laid an egg, it wouldn't have been cause for despair, so you can't get too overly excited just because they each performed relatively well.

Still, it was fun to see them all have some success. And when you consider that the Twins have several other prospects that are projected to be even better than this trio, it just demonstrates that Twins fans have some legitimate reasons to be optimistice about the team's future over the second half of this decade.

#4 tharasix

tharasix

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

I'm not going to go Jim Hoey far, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that Meyer's 98 mph heater is that easy to hit with authority. Speed isn't that helpful if it's straight.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,214 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Great article. Thanks, Seth.

#6 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

It is a bit, just a bit, but still a bit troubling that i have heard and seen several people bring up that they were relieved that Dozier didn't get blanked........ as they seem to have expected him to. It was quite a bit of charity that allowed him in the home run derby, and that kind of statement confirms and conforms to that idea. Good for him though. He didn't get blanked with his 350 and 380 foot taters. good thing he pulled the ball.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,440 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

It is a bit, just a bit, but still a bit troubling that i have heard and seen several people bring up that they were relieved that Dozier didn't get blanked........ as they seem to have expected him to. It was quite a bit of charity that allowed him in the home run derby, and that kind of statement confirms and conforms to that idea. Good for him though. He didn't get blanked with his 350 and 380 foot taters. good thing he pulled the ball.

I think think getting blanked has nothing to do with HR prowess. Piazza once didn't hit any. Puig didn't last night. Dozier was a fine contestant at home. My assumption is that guys like Nelson Cruz and Jose Abreu said no. But I was glad that he did it.

#8 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the great article, Seth. We'll done. Great reading-a true experience!

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Of the contestants, Dozier has more homers than five of the nine other contestants, including two-time winner Cespedes. He's not the classic slugger, but he has mastered the ability to pull the ball with authority and hit 350-380 ft. homers. It is unfortunate that some of the guys who really hit homers--Cruz, Trout, Abreu--all bailed on the competition.

#10 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

Nice call on Perkins coming into the 9th with a two run lead!
Great game last night. So glad I was able to be there.