Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Discouraged? Don't Be.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

I think it goes without showing the Twins are above (or should I say below?) and beyond the worst team in the MLB. Every day they find new ways to surprise us about how awful this team really is. Realistically speaking though, it CANNOT get any worse. It's an extremely "dark" time for Twins fans as Nick Nelson points out, but resist the temptation to avoid daylight for fear of humiliation. There are many bright spots about the position we are in. Here are a few reminders. #1 The AL Central is WEAK Remember all the hype surrounding this year's Tigers team? Yeah, me too. As of now, they're sitting at 14-14 and aren't even in the division lead. Things could definitely be much better for them , but even with the small sample size that team has far too many flaws to be in serious contention. All of our rivals have plenty of holes in their organizations and we should be a little thankful that the Twins aren't in the AL East or AL West. #2 The Farm With the exception of the Royals, a point could surely be made the Twins have the best farm system in the Central. The White Sox have to be sitting at #29 or #30 (Brewers?) and the Tigers don't have much to rave about either. The division leading Indians don't have much minor league talent to offer either, especially after they shipped Drew Pomeranz and company to Colorado in the blockbuster Ubaldo Jimenez trade last year. Keep in mind that we have a ton of picks in this years rule 4 draft. In 2013, the Twins should also get a high drafting order to contribute to the minor league system. #3 $$Money$$ Target field is an elite venue in today's modern baseball. Since it's construction, the Twins have been able to increase payroll and general spending. Simply put, this team isn't a small market clubhouse anymore and never will be for some time. The best thing about having a large market is the ability to afford and woo free agents. It is much easier and quicker to rebuild with free agents than it is draft picks. It may only take 3 or 4 years to produce a quality team with the combination of free agents and draftees. Typically, it may take a decade to rebuild through the draft for a small market team and that's if all goes according to plan. This luxury will become even more visible when a few bad contracts come off the books. #4 Health The Twins haven't had much trouble with the disabled list thus far. Having every player healthy is crucial when it comes to turning things around. The situation could be much worse if the Twins were throwing inexperienced players into games instead of veterans. Speaking of youth, it shouldn't be too long before we get some news on Kyle Gibson's recovery from Tommy John either. Some of this could be said about last season's Twins, but it still applies now. Being 7-21 is complete mockery and I know it sucks, but small changes have big effects. A few shakeups could at least make the Twins competitive for now. At this point, that's all I can really ever ask for.

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 08 May 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#2 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

The changes I'd call for are in staffing and minor league alignment. It's time for Devries and Slama to get with the program. New coaches seem to be a necessity. Everyone may heckle me for it and say it's extreme, but there really is only so much one coach can teach you. They need fresh faces to give them advice. What they can do is either promote a few from the minor league system or hire outside the organization. I don't really see any dramatic changes possible while the season is in progression.

#3 twinzgrl

twinzgrl

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

I have tried to remain positive. I keep thinking we have a good bunch of hitters and the bullpen is better than expected, but then--we get no hit, we pick up Clete Thomas and Komatsu, Morneau goes on the DL, Mauer takes a ball off his knee, Danny is in la la land, Butera is back, and most importantly--THEY CAN'T WIN A GAME!! I keep thinking that things will start to turn around slowly, and maybe we can work our way back to something in the vicinity of .500, but I'm beginning to think that is a pipe dream.

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have tried to remain positive. I keep thinking we have a good bunch of hitters and the bullpen is better than expected, but then--we get no hit, we pick up Clete Thomas and Komatsu, Morneau goes on the DL, Mauer takes a ball off his knee, Danny is in la la land, Butera is back, and most importantly--THEY CAN'T WIN A GAME!! I keep thinking that things will start to turn around slowly, and maybe we can work our way back to something in the vicinity of .500, but I'm beginning to think that is a pipe dream.

Let's hope that tonight is the beginning of a LONG win streak.

#5 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

I think it goes without showing the Twins are above (or should I say below?) and beyond the worst team in the MLB. Every day they find new ways to surprise us about how awful this team really is. Realistically speaking though, it CANNOT get any worse. It's an extremely "dark" time for Twins fans as Nick Nelson points out, but resist the temptation to avoid daylight for fear of humiliation. There are many bright spots about the position we are in. Here are a few reminders.

#1 The AL Central is WEAK

Remember all the hype surrounding this year's Tigers team? Yeah, me too. As of now, they're sitting at 14-14 and aren't even in the division lead. Things could definitely be much better for them , but even with the small sample size that team has far too many flaws to be in serious contention. All of our rivals have plenty of holes in their organizations and we should be a little thankful that the Twins aren't in the AL East or AL West.

#2 The Farm

With the exception of the Royals, a point could surely be made the Twins have the best farm system in the Central. The White Sox have to be sitting at #29 or #30 (Brewers?) and the Tigers don't have much to rave about either. The division leading Indians don't have much minor league talent to offer either, especially after they shipped Drew Pomeranz and company to Colorado in the blockbuster Ubaldo Jimenez trade last year. Keep in mind that we have a ton of picks in this years rule 4 draft. In 2013, the Twins should also get a high drafting order to contribute to the minor league system.

#3 $$Money$$

Target field is an elite venue in today's modern baseball. Since it's construction, the Twins have been able to increase payroll and general spending. Simply put, this team isn't a small market clubhouse anymore and never will be for some time. The best thing about having a large market is the ability to afford and woo free agents. It is much easier and quicker to rebuild with free agents than it is draft picks. It may only take 3 or 4 years to produce a quality team with the combination of free agents and draftees. Typically, it may take a decade to rebuild through the draft for a small market team and that's if all goes according to plan. This luxury will become even more visible when a few bad contracts come off the books.

#4 Health

The Twins haven't had much trouble with the disabled list thus far. Having every player healthy is crucial when it comes to turning things around. The situation could be much worse if the Twins were throwing inexperienced players into games instead of veterans. Speaking of youth, it shouldn't be too long before we get some news on Kyle Gibson's recovery from Tommy John either.

Some of this could be said about last season's Twins, but it still applies now. Being 7-21 is complete mockery and I know it sucks, but small changes have big effects. A few shakeups could at least make the Twins competitive for now. At this point, that's all I can really ever ask for.

My issue is with your 3rd point. Payroll has gone down 13 million already since last year. Payroll is probably going down further since no one is going to the games of a 7-21 team. The Polads need to sell the team to someone who wants to win, not just turn a nickel into a dime.

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

My issue is with your 3rd point. Payroll has gone down 13 million already since last year. Payroll is probably going down further since no one is going to the games of a 7-21 team. The Polads need to sell the team to someone who wants to win, not just turn a nickel into a dime.

Which one are you? Chicken Little? Ducky Lucky? Henny Penny? Certainly not the fox.

#7 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Might be worth a peek at the payroll (and probably more importantly that relative to other teams) from the pre-Target field to the last three years.

#8 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Unfortunately, payroll will follow the direction of revenue which will continue to go South.

Edited by Highabove, 09 May 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#9 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

While your at it, take a peek at the Ticket prices from the the pre Target Field days to the last three years. I believe the Twins now have the 5th highest Ticket prices in Baseball.

Honestly no idea what your point there is in the context of what my quote was about.

Note: misunderstanding acknowledged and remedied in a separate conversation.

Edited by CDog, 09 May 2012 - 12:39 PM.

#10 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

My issue is with point #2. First, literally all you said was that out of 5 teams (in the Central), you thought we had the 2nd best farm system. Even if true, what does that really mean for us? There is no question that pitching is a disaster throughout the organization. I expect them to address that in the amateur draft, but help will still be many years away. Really, if you took out Sano, I don't think there's much to like about the organization. Also, when you compare us to teams like the Royals, remember that they've been much more aggressive calling up guys like Hosmer, Moustakas, Duffy, etc., who could still be in the minors at their age.

#11 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

My issue is with point #2. First, literally all you said was that out of 5 teams (in the Central), you thought we had the 2nd best farm system. Even if true, what does that really mean for us? There is no question that pitching is a disaster throughout the organization. I expect them to address that in the amateur draft, but help will still be many years away. Really, if you took out Sano, I don't think there's much to like about the organization. Also, when you compare us to teams like the Royals, remember that they've been much more aggressive calling up guys like Hosmer, Moustakas, Duffy, etc., who could still be in the minors at their age.

The point is that the futures of our rivals don't look too promising when you consider the talent they have in their lower levels. The Twins have drafted three pitchers with their first pick in the last four years. Sure the arms we have drafted haven't all worked out according to plan, but I definitely wouldn't call the situation a "disaster". There are also many other promising young players that you are insulting if you actually think Sano is the only good player. Rosario, Hicks, Arcia, Gibson, and Harrison all have very bright futures.