Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Fuld, Mastro, and Presley

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

There was a bit of whining over the Twins dropping Mastro and Presley and then picking up Sam Fuld. Mastro has been horrible for the Jays and Presley has been slightly less effective than Fuld from what I see of the Stats. I'm happy with Fuld. Anyone disagree???

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,949 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

He's been a decent bridge, I have no problem with Fuld, he just shouldn't be an everyday player but neither should those other guys.

#3 zwiefz

zwiefz

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

I don't think that most of the complaining was necessarily about Fuld as a player in direct comparison to Masto and Presley. Most of the complaining was about the timing of the moves related to all of these guys that often left the team without a legitimate backup(or starting for that matter) center fielder. No one cares that they dropped Presley. It was that they dropped him for Bartlett. Then they had to drop Mastro in order to claim Fuld because Bartlett's retirement papers weren't done. Plus they wasted time with the Kenny Wilson experiment. Add this to the flaming out of Hicks the past two years after trading both Span and Revere and we end up with Santana and Parmalee playing CF.

Two years ago CF was one of the absolute strength's/deep spots in the Twins organization. Suddenly the cupboard is bare until Buxton makes it(who is not exactly lighting up Ft Meyers, understandably so, right now).

So in summary, the complaints are not about Fuld himself. He has been exactly as advertised-a fourth outfielder who is functional as an injury fill in(or in this case a failure fill in). The complaints are about the total mismanagement of a critical position to any baseball team that prides itself(or claims to) on defense and pitch to contact.

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

The Mastro and Presley decisions were more about CF depth when all we had was Bartlett and Hicks on the roster. Fuld was a gift dropped in the Twins laps that they didn't deserve.

I don't remember anyone complaining about getting him, he bailed the Twins out of some serious roster mismanagement.

#5 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

True story. Fuld is better than the other two guys, the Twins were very fortunate that Fuld fell into their laps.

In a vacuum, losing either of those two guys was not an issue, but given the context and how hamstrung the Twins were in CF, it was a bit galling that Mastro was lost to add Fuld, it would have been a lot better if the Twins had found another way to add Fuld without subtracting Mastro. Oh, and then there's the whole Kenny Wilson thing, too.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

The Twins were lucky to be able to pick up Fuld.

The consternation over losing Presley and Mastroianni had more to do with the Twins deciding to marry Aaron Hicks (and Jason Bartlett) as their centerfield options than anything else.