Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Sickels midseason top 75

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

3 Buxton
20 Sano
25 Meyer
27 Berrios
49 Stewart

http://www.minorleag...te-2014-sickels

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

Same 5 Twins names as in the Fangraphs midseason top 25. Stewart is the one who is notably lower for Sickels (although he was only #64 on Sickels preseason list too).

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Bit surprised Gordon or Vargas didn't sneak into the bottom of the top 75. Apparently, there's a decent drop off after number 5 in our system.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Bit surprised Gordon or Vargas didn't sneak into the bottom of the top 75. Apparently, there's a decent drop off after number 5 in our system.

Sickels, from the article:

"[COLOR=#292929][FONT=Mercury SSm A]The list does NOT Include 2014 draftees and new international signees"[/FONT][/COLOR]

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

This guy has shot up even more impressively than Berrios, from 98 to 35-

35) Daniel Norris, LHP, Toronto Blue Jays (98): Has made huge progress refining his mechanics and command, and he always had the stuff.

If there is a deadline deal to be made with the Jays, I'd like to see the Twins bang the table on him, he was the one guy that outpitched Berrios in the FSL, before his promotion to AA, plus he's a a sorely-needed lefty.

Edited by jokin, 14 July 2014 - 02:31 PM.

#6 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:31 PM

Same 5 Twins names as in the Fangraphs midseason top 25. Stewart is the one who is notably lower for Sickels (although he was only #64 on Sickels preseason list too).

My thinking is more in line with Sickels as I feel Stewart has a ways to go to be top 25. Not that he won't be as good or better than Berrios but but think 40's is safer place for him right now. Nice to see the same 5 names though.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Are Frazier and Meadows always going to be linked? They were connnected at the hip heading into the draft, and this isn't the first time I saw them ranked next to each other. BA had tem 48 and 49 I remember. I guess MLB is breaking them up a bit seperating them by three spots.

#8 Einstein

Einstein

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

How long before Bryant is in Chicago? September?

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

How long before Bryant is in Chicago? September?

No, maybe next year after the Super 2 cut off. No reason to bring him up now - he's not on the 40 man roster anyway.

#10 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:41 PM

Not that I think lists are any kind of absolute verdict, but there are a couple surprises. Not sure which surprises me more, the fact that Buxton is still at 3, or that Sano dropped to 20. And I don't really care because you give me those two fully healthy next year, it all changes again.

A little surprised though about Vargas, May, having great years, maybe and definitely better than last season. Not sure Polanco doesn't also belong. I suppose the run of early season errors has something to do with that. But there are so few middle infielders who posses that bat and hitting potential.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#11 halfchest

halfchest

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

I noticed Vargas, Polanco, May, and Rosario were all mentioned in the large "others considered list that was just alphabetical in order.

Anyone else that should have been in that "others considered" list? I can't think of any off the top of my head I guess. That list had probably near 100 more prospects listed so it's quite an extensive list. Thorpe? He was pretty high on a lot of peoples lists last year it seemed, has skipping a level (Elizabethton) and poor results hurt his prospectdom that much?

#12 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

No, maybe next year after the Super 2 cut off. No reason to bring him up now - he's not on the 40 man roster anyway.

Yep, here's a good article Regarding Service Time & the 40 Man roster, using the Cardinals as an example.

http://www.stltoday....1a4bcf6878.html

#13 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Sickels is well known for giving higher rankings to prospects closer to the majors, so the Stewart ranking isn't too surprising.