Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Game 29 - Twins vs Angels - 5/8/12

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Twins Lineup: Erik Komatsu CF Brian Dozier SS Joe Mauer 1B Josh Willingham LF Ryan Doumit C Danny Valencia 3B Trevor Plouffe RF Drew Butera C Jamey Carroll 2B SP: Diamond

#2 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Month 2 of the season, and 5 of the 10 players starting tonight were not opening day starters. Just an observation.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#3 TwinVike61

TwinVike61

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Interesting lineup...with two catchers and all.

#4 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Very interesting lineup. Denard was due for a day off. Should be fun to see how Komatsu does in the lead off spot.
[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=5]Twins[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000080]Guy[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]55422
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

Is Butera seriously playing? Good god. They didn't even wait for Pavano to pitch again before getting this non-player into the lineup. THIS is why many people did not like the idea of calling him back up. This is precisely what happens with Gardenhire. Casilla and Willingham are so out of commission that they can't even DH? AND . . . is Casilla a few days from now headed to the DL? At the very least, Maloney should have been DFAed and Chang or Carson or Bates should have been promoted when Morneau (finally) went to the DL. That player could have been easily sent back down when Morneau was "healthy" enough to play again.

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Is Butera seriously playing? Good god. They didn't even wait for Pavano to pitch again before getting this non-player into the lineup. THIS is why many people did not like the idea of calling him back up. This is precisely what happens with Gardenhire. Casilla and Willingham are so out of commission that they can't even DH? AND . . . is Casilla a few days from now headed to the DL? At the very least, Maloney should have been DFAed and Chang or Carson or Bates should have been promoted when Morneau (finally) went to the DL. That player could have been easily sent back down when Morneau was "healthy" enough to play again.

Strike that . . . Parmelee, not Willingam. So . . . the actual prospect sits while DREW BUTERA plays . . .

#7 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to have Butera cathc or be in the lineup unless absolutely necessary. They could have had Doumit catch and Parmelee DH.
[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=5]Twins[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000080]Guy[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]55422
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

#8 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

Parmelee's on the bench as punishment for not catching that throw to first from Perkins. A throw which looked an awful lot like a balk to me.

#9 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:12 PM

Parmelee's on the bench as punishment for not catching that throw to first from Perkins. A throw which looked an awful lot like a balk to me.

I have to doubt that . . . right? I mean Perkins fooled both the runner and Parmelee with either a great move or a balk . . .

#10 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I have to doubt that . . . right? I mean Perkins fooled both the runner and Parmelee with either a great move or a balk . . .

Obviously Parmelee should have caught that ball, it was right there. But that's the reason that a balk is against the rules, so that a pitcher can't deke the runner by stepping towards home while throwing to first. And Perkins stepped a little too far towards home.

#11 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

3 catchers in the lineup, better callup a backup!

#12 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Obviously Parmelee should have caught that ball, it was right there. But that's the reason that a balk is against the rules, so that a pitcher can't deke the runner by stepping towards home while throwing to first. And Perkins stepped a little too far towards home.

But he can't be sitting for that reason. That's crazy.

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,464 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

Well, Butera caught Diamond at Rochester, so there's that. We know he'll be catching tomorrow, too. Also, I thought Parmelee could play in right field--with Butera catching, today would have been a good day to do that. This team is simply not hitting--they are now last in the league in runs scored, 11th in OBP, 13th in sluggings and OPS. Plouffe's numbers are interesting for one reason--he has drawn an inordinate number of walks. His OBP is higher than Casilla's, Doumit's and Valencia's. Obviously with only four hits, he can't have much of a slugging percentage.

#14 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

I suppose Butera could be in the lineup because he had success with Diamond in Rochester. Try to make him feel comfortable. I'm not saying it's a great reason. I will also point out that this is Butera has been with the team for a almost a week and he's had all of 2 AB. It might be a little alarmist to suggest he's swallowing up a ton of AB. But yes, I'd rather see Parmelee.

#15 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Debatable. I highly doubt he's on the bench for missing a throw. If that was the case Komatsu should be there for dropping that fly ball, it was far worse.

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

Let's go Diamond! Let's have a Canadian get this done!

#17 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Well, Butera caught Diamond at Rochester, so there's that. We know he'll be catching tomorrow, too.

Who is "we?" I don't know that, and I'd even make a pretty good-sized wager that he doesn't if that were legal.

#18 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,438 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:14 PM

Let's go Diamond! Let's have a Canadian get this done!

Amen! We need something resembling a ray of hope.

#19 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

What is it with acquiring these 4th or 5th outfielders and then Gardy playing with his new "toys" day after day in the lineup? At least in the case of Komatsu, he's 24 years old and hasn't had an extensive look in the majors yet. But Clete Thomas was two wasted weeks, and here we go again. It's like they said on Gleeman and the Geek: if they were going to acquire a new outfielder to give all these at-bats, they might as well have given them to Plouffe or Parmelee, or even Revere.

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hey, we are winning by 3 runs. This is a HAPPY moment.

#21 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

Dooooooooooms!

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Now let's get some more runs. It would be nice to build a double digit lead tonight, just in case we implode later.

#23 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

3 catchers in the lineup, better callup a backup!

HaHa! nice...
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#24 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I want ben revere!

#25 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Is no one here happy that we finally have a lead early in a game?

#26 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Is no one here happy that we finally have a lead early in a game?

I am! But I still want Ben Revere!

#27 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,438 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

OK, I want him too. And I want him in CF and Span in RF. But right now I am delighting in having a (rare) early game lead.

#28 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

Who did Vernon Wells think was up to bat there? That was kinda weird. Especially if Bremer was right that he was playing in the gap. Infielders playing to pull, outfielders playing the other way has been the norm against Mauer for a long time, no?

#29 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Wow Danny........ lets call up Sano! I kid I kid

#30 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:08 PM