Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Nex up: Walters? DeVries?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

It would appear the next Rochester starters in line to be called up to the Twins are PJ Walters and Cole DeVries.... Since Liriano shows no signs of turning things around, I think it's time to make a move with him (bullpen?) and give one of these guys a shot... Realistically, it would be tough for them to do any worse... Walters line so far this season is 3-1, 33IP, 25 SO, 7BB, 2.70 ERA, 1.17 WHIP.... DeVries is 0-2, 28IP, 27 SO, 6BB, 2.89 ERA, 1.00 WHIP.... Anyone know more about them?

Edited by gmarais66, 08 May 2012 - 02:20 PM.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:38 PM

Walters has some big league time and was considered a decent prospect. he was part of the big Cardinals/Blue Jays trade just last July. DeVries told me in an interview last year after the AFL that he was touching 94, but he has a 4-pitch mix and if that velocity is accurate, I'd be intrigued.

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Walters has some big league time and was considered a decent prospect. he was part of the big Cardinals/Blue Jays trade just last July.

DeVries told me in an interview last year after the AFL that he was touching 94, but he has a 4-pitch mix and if that velocity is accurate, I'd be intrigued.

Just curious, but when he told you this, was in still in the pen or was it after his transition to starter?

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

It was after the AFL... and he was starting... I'm sure it was high, and he likely sits in that 89-92 that most do.

#5 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

I think both of these guys deserve a shot. I am thinking that one of them will be coming up soon because we can't go too many more starts with Liriano performing like this.
[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=5]Twins[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000080]Guy[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]55422
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

#6 2003freak2003

2003freak2003

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

We can't get too many starts with ANY picture performing like our current ones.... I'm pretty sure im not the only one sick of us giving up run after run...early EVERY game. I would just be so pleased with a game where we didnt give up a run before the 5th inning! Has that even happened yet?

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Walters, DeVries, Hendriks and Diamond are far from exciting and none of them appear to be a good bet to be anything higher than a #3, but I guess the same could have been said about the early 2000's staff made up of Radke, Mays, Milton and Redmon. Maybe they can be adaquate enough to keep the team in games and at times flash moments of near All-Star-worthiness. I still think the team goes anywhere without an ace, probably two, but if we can start moving the vets, I'm ok with riding out the season letting the young guys get their feet wet.

#8 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:32 PM

Devries has certainly earned a shot. He's pitched extremely well the past two years and is our best bet for a strikeout pitcher. Walters isn't much more than a AAA journeyman whose had some brief success in his stint with Rochester.

#9 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:48 PM

I would just be so pleased with a game where we didnt give up a run before the 5th inning! Has that even happened yet?

Yes, sir, it has. More than once.

#10 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Guerra threw another 2.3 scoreless relief tonight.

#11 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,901 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

I would put some chips on table for the chances of Walter's and Devrie's Pitching for the Big Club this year. Other than that, I rate their chances low to make an immediate and future impact. Maybe Devries can stick as a middle reliever.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,985 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

[quote name='Bark's Lounge;15961]I would put some chips on table for the chances of Walter's and Devrie's Pitching for the Big Club this year. Other than that' date=' I rate their chances low to make an immediate and future impact. Maybe Devries can stick as a middle reliever.[/QUOTE']

I don't think anyone thinks that bringing up Walters or DeVries is in any way saying they're going to fix anything. They're most likely AAAA pitchers meant for long relief. My point in being hopeful that we would see them take over for Blackburn and Liriano because we know how frustrating those two are. With the other two, it's something different, without pushing Hendriks again.

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

I don't think anyone thinks that bringing up Walters or DeVries is in any way saying they're going to fix anything. They're most likely AAAA pitchers meant for long relief. My point in being hopeful that we would see them take over for Blackburn and Liriano because we know how frustrating those two are. With the other two, it's something different, without pushing Hendriks again.

I totally get that. Walters is filler/AAAA. Devries may have some value and I will be optimistic until proven wrong. The subject of replacing Blackburn and Liriano for Walters and Devries is like switching squirrell poop Kool-Aid for raccoon poop Kool-Aid. It's all yucky and might give you Salmonella. Maybe one has an energetic effect at its onset? That is what we have as back up... I have made peace with it.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,117 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

I totally get that. Walters is filler/AAAA. Devries may have some value and I will be optimistic until proven wrong. The subject of replacing Blackburn and Liriano for Walters and Devries is like switching squirrell poop Kool-Aid for raccoon poop Kool-Aid. It's all yucky and might give you Salmonella. Maybe one has an energetic effect at its onset? That is what we have as back up... I have made peace with it.

Go with the squirrel poop kool aid. Raccoons have a real wild diet, they will dig through garbage and eat almost anything.

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,117 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:16 PM

Seth correct me if I'm wrong... Last year our Twins had an amazing injury stretch and we had a large number of Red Wings on the MLB roster. At the time of the massive call ups... Rochester was having a pretty bad year. However, after losing a
large portion of their lineup to the Twins.... Didn't Rochester then get hot and start winning ball games.

#16 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

Go with the squirrel poop kool aid. Raccoons have a real wild diet, they will dig through garbage and eat almost anything.

Thanks for the advice.... off to my beverage!

#17 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

DeVries has pitched very well in all but one of his minor league seasons & deserves to get the next shot. He should have been put on the 40 man this year OR been invited to training camp after last seasons/AFL success. When he says he touches 94, it means he gets a pitch or 2 to 93 in the game but pitched at 89-91. Im fine with the velocity as long as he gets guys out & he does.

#18 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

I don't think we are going to see any movement on Blackburn or Liriano for awhile. Both have had flashes of competence that will continue to tease management up until at least the All Star break. Frankly we are more likely to see prospects when Pavano gets dealt.

#19 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

I don't think we are going to see any movement on Blackburn or Liriano for awhile. Both have had flashes of competence that will continue to tease management up until at least the All Star break. Frankly we are more likely to see prospects when Pavano gets dealt.

Well, guess you were wrong ;-) Walters it is!

#20 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

Walters is a career minor league pitcher which you would see pitching for the Saint Paul Saints. Ryan should send somebody to scout the Saints. There is not much deference between a few of their players. Unbelievable!!

Edited by Highabove, 10 May 2012 - 02:34 AM.

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

The shuffle shuttle has begun. Minir League Players of the Week score call-ups...except Ben Revere.