Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Dominant Twins Batters from 1961-Present

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hvs

hvs

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...om-1961-Present

#2 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:50 PM

one thing of note is that in each of our championship years (87 and 91) we had 4 impact bats and all of our playoff years we only had 3, in the drought years we mostly only had 1 or 2.....interesting

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 7,050 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:20 AM

Interesting piece. It is well worth the effort to click to see the chart enlarged.

#4 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

If we are going to talk about how many dominant hitters we had during each playoff year, we should include players like Chili Davis and Jim Thome.

Did you use WAR or just oWAR, since you said dominant "hitters"?

#5 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

If we are going to talk about how many dominant hitters we had during each playoff year, we should include players like Chili Davis and Jim Thome.

Did you use WAR or just oWAR, since you said dominant "hitters"?

I was going to ask the same thing. Looks like it must have been plain WAR. Even with oWAR, there's the position bonus, so a great-hitting 1B isn't going to look as good on the chart because they don't benefit from that bonus. I guess it can be argued whether or not it's a valid addition to the point being made in the post.

I might take the Rbat subscore if you're just looking at quality of "hitter." Decide whether or not you want to include baserunning, double play, or replacement scores too.

#6 hvs

hvs

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

I was going to ask the same thing. Looks like it must have been plain WAR. Even with oWAR, there's the position bonus, so a great-hitting 1B isn't going to look as good on the chart because they don't benefit from that bonus. I guess it can be argued whether or not it's a valid addition to the point being made in the post.

I might take the Rbat subscore if you're just looking at quality of "hitter." Decide whether or not you want to include baserunning, double play, or replacement scores too.

Yeah, just regular WAR. You're both right that the position adjustments will skew the results. I will take that into account on the pitching article. Maybe I'll revisit this as well and try to isolate hitting better.

I was mostly just playing around with the charting method so I didn't put as much thought into the methodology as I should have. Thanks for the suggestions.

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

Like he said, just for fun and invitation to dig deeper. I'm amazed Greg Gagne was a leading hitter in 1990! No wonder they finished last..