Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Aaron Hicks quietly posting good numbers in New Britain

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 iastfan112

iastfan112

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

Hicks has hit in AA before. He still isn't hitting the ball with any authority.

.127 OPS isn't terrible, certainly not Ben Revere levels of slap hitting(.060) more like Span and his low to mid .100's power. With BABIP around .300 its not as if the BA is unsustainable either. All of this is SSS of course and its in a repeat of AA which takes some of the shine off, but still a good step nonetheless.

#62 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,717 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

.127 OPS isn't terrible,

Florimon had an OPS greater than .127 :)

Just giving you a hard time a bit... I do agree though, Hicks is actually hitting quite well in AA. I hope he keeps it up for a bit more and can get a bump to AAA. The Twins need to get him experience in the higher minors.

#63 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

should add... 3/5 with a double tonight. Average over .300.

#64 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Let him get back to AAA after the All-Star break and then see what happens for the rest of July.

#65 TheBigGuy7273

TheBigGuy7273

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

There are many that haven't given up on him and I'm sure the front office is among that group.

I thought Hicks was mis-handled but he's still only 24. There's plenty of time for him to get back on track.

Agreed!

#66 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,376 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:29 AM

SSS, but Hicks is outperforming Rosario at the same level. He may win the race to AAA if he continues to hit.

#67 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Okay, I heard back from Andrew Walter (Twins Fan from Afar). Unfortunately he hasn't been at the games lately:

I haven't been in a couple weeks, but I will note that he went 0-for-4 in today's game batting lefty each time against a righty. So that would suggest to me that he's back doing it (which I had thought was the case).

Also from BB Reference, here are his minor league 2014 splits:

[TABLE="width: 269"]

Split
G
PA
AB
BA
OBP
SLG
OPS

vs LHP as RHB

vs RHP as LHB

vs RHP as RHB

[/TABLE]

So, it looks to me as if it is still muddled. He has almost the same amount of appearances against RHP's as a LHB and RHB. But BRef doesn't tell us the timing of those AB's.

#68 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Okay, I heard back from Andrew Walter (Twins Fan from Afar). Unfortunately he hasn't been at the games lately:

I haven't been in a couple weeks, but I will note that he went 0-for-4 in today's game batting lefty each time against a righty. So that would suggest to me that he's back doing it (which I had thought was the case).

Split
G
PA
AB
BA
OBP
SLG
OPS

vs LHP as RHB

vs RHP as LHB

vs RHP as RHB

[/TABLE]

So, it looks to me as if it is still muddled. He has almost the same amount of appearances against RHP's as a LHB and RHB. But BRef doesn't tell us the timing of those AB's.

Those must include major major league splits also. Too many plate appearances.

#69 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Split
G
PA
AB
BA
OBP
SLG
OPS

vs LHP as RHB

vs RHP as LHB

vs RHP as RHB

[/TABLE]

That's right folks, we don't actually know what side of the plate one of our top prospects is hitting from.

That is so freaking bizarre.

#70 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

Those must include major major league splits also. Too many plate appearances.

You're right. I have to learn to READ:

[FONT=Verdana]Please note that splits include both major and minor league stats. We have decided that the splits across all levels is more useful than just minor league stats.

So we apparently don't have a way of separating out the data.

That makes me more likely to rely on Andrew's observation about the other night where he batted lefty against a righty each time.

I still think we need more info before we reach any conclusions or get too concerned about what is going on.
[/FONT]

#71 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

The concern about Hicks has been ongoing for awhile. The switch-hitting in the minors is more of a curiosity brought on by how goofy his career has started.

#72 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Video on Rock Cats TV showing an Aaron Hicks single from 7/12 against RIGHT-HANDED pitcher Kyle Simon (ignore the sub-title that says it is a double, Hicks goes to second on the throw home). He is batting LEFT-HANDED. Can we finally put it to rest?

http://www.milb.com/...543869&sid=t538

Sorry, after using the link I see you will have to scroll over to the correct video clip (i.e. the one saying Hicks had a double).

Edited by TRex, 14 July 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#73 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

Video on Rock Cats TV showing an Aaron Hicks single from 7/12 against RIGHT-HANDED pitcher Kyle Simon (ignore the sub-title that says it is a double, Hicks goes to second on the throw home). He is batting LEFT-HANDED. Can we finally put it to rest?

http://www.milb.com/...543869&sid=t538

Sorry, after using the link I see you will have to scroll over to the correct video clip (i.e. the one saying Hicks had a double).

There's also one further over of him hitting a homerun while batting left-handed from early July. So he's been hitting switch (again) since at least the beginning of the month...probably longer?

#74 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

[FONT=Verdana]Please note that splits include both major and minor league stats. We have decided that the splits across all levels is more useful than just minor league stats.

So we apparently don't have a way of separating out the data.
[/FONT]

Actually, Bbref keeps track of ML splits separately. But it does combine in the minor league screen.

So, in theory, you could subtract the ML split PAs from the totals shown in the minor league splits screen... That's where it gets weird:
Bbref has Hicks taking 2 PA RHvsRHP and 100 PA LHvsRHP at the major league level.
Bbref also has him taking a total of 78 RHvsRHP and 86 LHvsRHP at all levels.

The numbers don't add up. We know he's taking LH PAs vs RHP at AA, but somehow his total split at all levels in that category is 14 PAs lower than the recorded PAs at the ML level?

A Bbref error? Or am I reading this wrong?

#75 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hicks was 3-for-4 tonight with a HR, Double and single.  1 RBI, 2 Runs.

BA now at .301.

And was part of the Rock Cats rally in the bottom of the 8th where Kvasnika hit a HR to bring in Hicks and Waring and take the score to 5-4.

Rock Cats held on to win.

• stringer bell likes this

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#76 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,376 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hicks is doing well. Does anyone know what happened to Rosario? He hasn't played in three or four games.

BTW, Alex Wimmmers got the save. Is his future in the bullpen? I am still pulling for the guy. He has endured a lot of trials in his young career.

#77 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

I hope Hicks gets to AAA this year.He's really doing well at AA and probably time for him to see some better pitchers.

#78 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

Hicks is doing well. Does anyone know what happened to Rosario? He hasn't played in three or four games.

BTW, Alex Wimmmers got the save. Is his future in the bullpen? I am still pulling for the guy. He has endured a lot of trials in his young career.

I've long thought Wimmers route to the majors was in the pen. It just takes too much time to build up the arm strength required to be a starter when you haven't pitched in three years. He seems to be excelling in the pen as well. Like you I hope he makes it. His story is every bit as good as colabellos or thielbars, IMO.

#79 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Any chance he comes back to the Twins soon? It seems that we are back to Parmelee being the backup CFer.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#80 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Personally, I'd rather bump him up to AAA and give him a taste of slightly better competition.I think Hicks has a confidence issue as well, that seemed clear (to me at least) based on some of Gardy's comments about how he was donig well in ST and then as soon as the season started he got very tenative again.I don't think throwing him right back up here would be good, but giving him a smaller boost in difficulty would be good for him I think.

This season is lost. I don't have too much of an issue with Parmelee being a backup CF for the remainder of the year.This offseason, however, they need to do something to address CF.

• Tibs likes this