Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Kris Johnson Promoted

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

I changed my mind on Ryan. I'd fire him.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#3 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

[quote name='JB_Iowa']
So Johnson is going to start on Friday. This likely means Freyer's spot is gone unless they do something silly like demote Arcia.
Johnson and Pino are probably dueling for who stays in this spot from AAA for the next few weeks. Johnson he is left handed, and started the second half of the White Sox double header earlier.

How much service time or starting the service clock in July would this effect Meyer. They must really want Meyer to pitch in the futures game Sunday.
Would like to see the Twins use Meyer out of the bullpen first, get him some innings that way and build him up from there. He throws hard and with a different arm slot so he would be different from the rest of the bullpen or rotation.

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I was speculating on the Friday start so don't take that as gospel. He could be in the BP for all I know.

#5 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

I changed my mind on Ryan. I'd fire him.

Look at the bright side. Nolasco is on the mend, or at least off the roster and therefore very unlikely to make us watch him pitch.

And Johnson will either enjoy some success in his absence or answer a question about the future of the roster while moving the 'take-a-number' queue in the Rochester pitching staff one step closer to arrival of the new M&M boys.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,298 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

one step closer to arrival of the new M&M boys.

And then you have the even newer BS boys on the field...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

[quote name='jaimedude2'][quote name='JB_Iowa']
So Johnson is going to start on Friday. This likely means Freyer's spot is gone unless they do something silly like demote Arcia.
Johnson and Pino are probably dueling for who stays in this spot from AAA for the next few weeks. Johnson he is left handed, and started the second half of the White Sox double header earlier.

How much service time or starting the service clock in July would this effect Meyer. They must really want Meyer to pitch in the futures game Sunday.
Would like to see the Twins use Meyer out of the bullpen first, get him some innings that way and build him up from there. He throws hard and with a different arm slot so he would be different from the rest of the bullpen or rotation.[/QUOTE]

Meyer is too old to worry about service time.

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

I've actually come to terms this was going to happen and I'm ok with it. Not good with it, just ok. I hope he pitches well. Mostly, I just hope it is a spot start and not a regular job. I was joking about the firing Ryan part (at least mid-season).
Do or do not. There is no try.

#9 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Johnson has had a very good AAA season, and it could be said he deserves to get an opportunity. Somehow, these Pino and Johnson call ups also feel frighteningly similar to the seasons of PJ Walters, Esmerling Vasquez, Scott Diamond, Cole DeVries, Pedro Hernandez, Andrew Albers......... that's enough examples. Johnson may even win a few games, as may Pino, but how is that going to get us back to the future? The season's track is mirroring last years with pitching (with gibson and hughes excepted), pitching moves, and the time of the slide starting. Best of luck to Johnson and to us all. I don't even like the letter M. I hope his move doesn't hurt Johnson's service time clock. That would be horrible.

Edited by h2oface, 09 July 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#10 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

I would like to see Meyer and May up too, but we have had lots of incremental improvements over the minor league season that there are just too many prospects near being ready for the majors that we wont have quite a few make positive long term contributions to the club. A lot of prospects will be up with the Twins very soon.

#11 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,040 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

I've actually come to terms this was going to happen and I'm ok with it. Not good with it, just ok. I hope he pitches well. Mostly, I just hope it is a spot start and not a regular job. I was joking about the firing Ryan part (at least mid-season).

That's pretty much exactly what i thought when I read your post, but the irony of me being the 'look at the bright side' guy was too fun to pass up.

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'd prefer May but he's on the DL. I wish I had an official word on Meyer. Are the Twins concerned about mechanics? Control? Stuff? I know Johnson has better numbers in AAA but Meyer should have a much higher ceiling. Is it a concern with the 40 man roster? Innings limit? Pitch count? He hadn't been throwing more than 80 for a while there. Are they building his arm back up to 100 pitches before he comes up? Is LEN's tweet right, is he not coming up this season? I know the FO doesn't owe us an explanation but I'd sure like to know.

#14 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

i am okay with this. May is on the DL Meyer is on a strict innings pictch count limit. I believe Meyer gets his shot later and May once off the Dl will take a couple of turns in the rotation in Roc then take the fifth spot in the rotation or Corrias when he is traded

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

He'd start Friday. It would make sense to option Pino after his start.I speculated about this on another thread. With the All-Star break, the Twins can option Pino and not need him until the 21st, at which point they can recall him. They can go with four starting pitchers for the duration and then either have an extra reliever or extra position player. I know Gardy likes extra bench players for the NL games, but my guess is that they will go with the position players they have until after the All-Star break, at which point they can option a catcher and probably Johnson and recall Pino and then May.

#16 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

I'd prefer May but he's on the DL. I wish I had an official word on Meyer. Are the Twins concerned about mechanics? Control? Stuff? I know Johnson has better numbers in AAA but Meyer should have a much higher ceiling. Is it a concern with the 40 man roster? Innings limit? Pitch count? He hadn't been throwing more than 80 for a while there. Are they building his arm back up to 100 pitches before he comes up? Is LEN's tweet right, is he not coming up this season?

I know the FO doesn't owe us an explanation but I'd sure like to know.

Jack Goin is still online over at his own thread. It wouldn't hurt to ask him there.

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

The Twins traded for Johnson after he had an outstanding season at AAA. He's been very good again for Rochester and I believe it is time to see if something clicked for him last year or if he is an AAA-AAAA talent. We all want to see the guys with upside, but I also like to see what a lefty with a fastball of more than 90 can do against big leaguers.

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,044 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

Don't discount the 40-man issue. 99% of us have seen enough Florimon and want him DFAed, but I think the org see some value in him and doesn't want to lose him. With Meyer, he would have options, but the calls for some of the guys to be recalled would mean that they would have to be designated to be returned to the minors and most would have the option to be free agents if designated again.

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Don't discount the 40-man issue. 99% of us have seen enough Florimon and want him DFAed, but I think the org see some value in him and doesn't want to lose him.

That could be true. We all wanted Buetera gone yet we managed to get a decent return for him which we turned into Nunez.

#20 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

I have no problem with this. I'm quite sure it would have been May if not for the calf injury. Meyer is being brought along cautiously. He's considered too valuable to just cut loose and run with. Now, arguements can be made the Twins are being too cautious. I'd respect that opinion. Maybe...maybe not. But I do know if they were to error somewhere, I'd rather it be on the side of caution.

Is Johnson a part of the Twins future? Meh. Maybe. On first look, I think we'd all see so-so stuff on a 30 y.o. who's best option is probably as a useful member of the bullpen. And this may prove to be true. I dare say percentages say he's a better shot long term than Pino or Deduno, because he's LH if nothing else.

Im thinking the 40 man issue may be partially at work here, and I can respect that, even if I don't always agree with it. In fact, I dare say that this off season's 40 man decisions may be the hardest in years. But beyond that, with May currently out, you have a LHSP in AAA who does hit 90-90+, and is enjoying the very best year and a half stretch of his career. Long term, who knows, but he is the next guy up. Why not take a look and see if there might be something there?

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#21 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Long term, I think Johnson (or maybe Darnell) inherit Duensing's role in the pen as lefty setup guy.
Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Zoooooooom Boing Ni!

#22 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

One thing to consider with the Johnson call up is that the rotation spot he would be taking is Nolasco's. If and when Nolasco returns, he would get his spot back. Johnson, or whomever is holding his spot in the rotation, will be sent back to the minors, bullpen or dfa'd when he returns. A possible Myer rotation spot would most likely be given to him for the duration of the season, not just on a temporary basis as the Nolasco DL situation has presented.

To make room for the Johnson call up, the most logical move would be to send Pino down to Rochester after his last start before the all star break. He could continue to pitch at AAA during the break. Since the Twins will be playing under NL rules for the final three games before the break they could keep the extra position player.

It makes more sense to wait until after the all star break to make more significant roster moves.

#23 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

i am okay with this. May is on the DL Meyer is on a strict innings pictch count limit. I believe Meyer gets his shot later and May once off the Dl will take a couple of turns in the rotation in Roc then take the fifth spot in the rotation or Corrias when he is traded

I am not OK with this. Johnson and Pino = Walters, Devries, etc as another poster noted. None are still with us. The fact that Meyer and May might be next in line does not make it OK for me that they are in line behind these guys. AAA numbers or not, these guys are not on the 2016 team and probably not on the 2015 team.

I think many are simply conditioned by bizarre roster moves at this point.

Edited by tobi0040, 09 July 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#24 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Long term, I think Johnson (or maybe Darnell) inherit Duensing's role in the pen as lefty setup guy.

Agreed.

However, I still don't think Duensing is gone soon. Forget that he's a good guy and an organization guy. Despite not having elite status, and thus not tremendous trade value, he's a good role guy and a lot of teams would love to have him. I could see the Twins go with Darnell or Johnson in the pen next season and ride 3 LH's and 3 RH's with Perkins closing.

--Lou Brown

#25 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Duke Welker who we acquired for Morneau then traded back to Pittsburg for Johnson was Designated for assignment. food for thought but not too relevant other than to point out that TR got the better of that deal.
I do believe that Johnson could be a member of our bullpen and a spot starter for us. He has value. The question is do the Twins sign Deunsing to a 3 year contract after this season before he reaches free agency? The money's there, he's earned it and is from Nebraska why not.

#26 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

I am not OK with this. Johnson and Pino = Walters, Devries, etc as another poster noted. None are still with us. The fact that Meyer and May might be next in line does not make it OK for me that they are in line behind these guys. AAA numbers or not, these guys are not on the 2016 team and probably not on the 2015 team.

I think many are simply conditioned by bizarre roster moves at this point.

You know, even if I wanted to, it would be hard to argue with you on this point.

Except, forgoing injuries, Nolasco, and yes, even Pelfrey would be in the rotation and there wouldn't be a need for Pino and Johnson. Further, I just have to believe May would also be up if not for his calf. The one difference from now to the past few years is, previously, I think the Twins were stuck with counting on guys like Walters. Now...whatever role they do or do not ultimately carve out...they are using Pino and Johnson simply because injury is forcing the issue.

--Lou Brown

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,103 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

You know, even if I wanted to, it would be hard to argue with you on this point.

Except, forgoing injuries, Nolasco, and yes, even Pelfrey would be in the rotation and there wouldn't be a need for Pino and Johnson. Further, I just have to believe May would also be up if not for his calf. The one difference from now to the past few years is, previously, I think the Twins were stuck with counting on guys like Walters. Now...whatever role they do or do not ultimately carve out...they are using Pino and Johnson simply because injury is forcing the issue.

Except, the Twins own actions suggest otherwise, as has been oft-stated today, the Twins assigned May to the Futures Game on June 25, indicating that they had no intention of promoting May before the ASG.

#28 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

Except, the Twins own actions suggest otherwise, as has been oft-stated today, the Twins assigned May to the Futures Game on June 25, indicating that they had no intention of promoting May before the ASG.

Except, we don't know what the intentions were post Futures Game. Forgetting May is in his first season of AAA, NOT a detrimate to his promotion, just a fact to consider, considering his overly excellent season, his potential, opportunity that has risen, a full half season of Rochester under his belt...my opinion...he wasn't going anywhere after the game.

Just because May was picked for the Futures Game doesn't mean he wasn't staying. I don't have the Rochester rotation handy, but wouldn't he have had at least one more start, if not two, before the Futures Games? One or two more starts before an appearance in the FG, which would probably be a thrill and an accomplishment for May, before making his first ML start. My guess as to the plan.

--Lou Brown

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

Duke Welker who we acquired for Morneau then traded back to Pittsburg for Johnson was Designated for assignment. food for thought but not too relevant other than to point out that TR got the better of that deal.
I do believe that Johnson could be a member of our bullpen and a spot starter for us. He has value. The question is do the Twins sign Deunsing to a 3 year contract after this season before he reaches free agency? The money's there, he's earned it and is from Nebraska why not.

Interesting about Welker. Another player who ate himself out of the game, or did whatever to get himself out of the game.

Johnson might be a solid long-mid-LOOGY type, I agree. 3 LH's in the pen?

Deunsing is not a bank breaker. But he's a solid, good guy to have around. Ideally, Thielbar becomes an 8th inning option with Deunsing doing what he does best, hold down the 6-7th innings. And yes, he's a Nebraska boy. Go Big Red! Lol

On a side note, good for Morneau to have found a home in Colorado. And if he had stuck around another season, who knows if he would have found himself again or not. But with 20-20 hindsight, and more and more we learn about concussion syndrome, you have to wonder, don't you, what would have happened if Morneau were still a Twin, sharing 1B and DH with Mauer?

--Lou Brown

#30 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

I'm really interested in what happens with the roster between July 16th and July 31st. Seems like the Twins might be making a lot of moves, or they might surprise everyone and be relatively quiet.

Kris Johnson, as noted above, is taking Nolasco's spot in the rotation. When Nolasco is off the DL, he'll be back in the rotation again. Johnson will be back in AAA. If/when Meyer and May are called up, they should be called up to stay.

My guess is after the break the healthier of the two will take Pino's spot as soon as they are able.