Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Grandpa Mauer Calls Out Joe

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

http://shamasportshe...ng-booing-fans/

Has to be hard to see your Grandpa calling you out in the media ;-)

[FONT=Verdana]“He’s getting a big salary, he should produce,” Jake said. “That’s what the fans think and that’s what the fans want.[/FONT]

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

I'm sure Joe Mauer knows that he isn't producing at a rate he is expected or capable of.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:15 PM

[FONT=verdana]“He’s getting a big salary, he should produce,” Jake said. “That’s what the fans think and that’s what the fans want. He’s trying but it just don’t happen (yet). But I don’t blame the people.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Still, Jake said his grandson “definitely” will hit over .300 before the season ends. “He’s on his way and then he got hurt.”
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana]
I don't think Joe would disagree with that. And it looks to me like Jake has Joe's back.
[/FONT]

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

One more thing. I did think it was interesting that Jake thinks the concussion may be having some lingering effects:

[FONT=Verdana]Jake believes the concussion Mauer suffered last August and caused him to miss the remainder of the season is a factor. “I think it has hampered him. I really do.”[/FONT]

#5 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

I saw this on the Strib (Howard Sinker) -- in a moment of weakness I read the reader comments....

I am guessing Joe flinches everytime he sees his Grandpa talking to someone with a recorder. Jake likes to hear the sound of his voice somtimes (I don't think Joe inherited that trait) .

Edited by D. Hocking, 09 July 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#6 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:23 PM

[FONT=verdana]I don't think Joe would disagree with that. And it looks to me like Jake has Joe's back.[/FONT]

Yes - when you read the full blog interview vs. some of the smaller excerpts floating about you do get that impression. I don't think Joe would disagree with any of what was said - still not sure he would be thrilled with Grandpa talking to the press.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,249 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

“He says, ‘What the heavens are going to happen next?'"

He does? WTH? :)

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Yes - when you read the full blog interview vs. some of the smaller excerpts floating about you do get that impression. I don't think Joe would disagree with any of what was said - still not sure he would be thrilled with Grandpa talking to the press.

Joe probably doesn't love Jake talking to the press but I'm sure he's had to get used to it. Jake is in his mid-80's and a bit of a character.

As my grandmother used to say:

"I can say anything I want. I'm old you know."

Kind of like when Justin Verlander's grandfather (I think) first confirmed his relationship with Kate Upton. OOPs, grandparents just don't censor what they say.

I actually love this story about what Jake had to say. If old age gets you anything, it should be the right to be candid. And there's obviously a lot of love and respect for Joe there, too.

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,751 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

“He says, ‘What the heavens are going to happen next?'"

He does? WTH? :)

It's funny that Grampa Jake used that soft euphemism, but it's even funnier because that's probably the exact quote from Joe.

#10 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

Jake is in his mid-80's and a bit of a character.

I actually love this story about what Jake had to say. If old age gets you anything, it should be the right to be candid. And there's obviously a lot of love and respect for Joe there, too.

I am guessing there is no stopping Jake when he is on a roll (and Joe has probably known that since about age 3). It is nice to get some insight of what is going on in Joe's head. I think a lot of his crtics think he does not care, so it is nice to see someone refuting that.

I do think Joe would be upset to find out Grandpa Jake revealed that he actually has a mouth like a drunken sailor. At least he did not add the quote where Joe used "dang" and "shoot".

#11 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

One more thing. I did think it was interesting that Jake thinks the concussion may be having some lingering effects:

[FONT=Verdana]Jake believes the concussion Mauer suffered last August and caused him to miss the remainder of the season is a factor. “I think it has hampered him. I really do.”[/FONT]

Pardon the repetition, but I agree with Jake. Look how long it took Morneau to look like pre-concussion Morneau. We've got another four years of Mauer, so we'll see one way or another.

#12 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,252 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Wait wait wait wait. Verlander is dating Kate Upton?

*Google searches Kate Upton....
Do or do not. There is no try.

#13 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

Wait wait wait wait. Verlander is dating Kate Upton?

*Google searches Kate Upton....

Nah, his grandfather is dating her. (At least that's the semantics now that I look back at my post. :)

#14 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

Long before Joe, Jake's tip sheet at Canterbury gave you a winner every time. (well almost)

Posted Image

Edited by Highabove, 10 July 2014 - 12:50 AM.

#15 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:22 AM

Grandpa and Dad used to both boast the Joe would absatively possilutely be the next .400 hitter. I guess that doesn't come up anymore................

#16 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 1,997 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm sure they all think that, and rightfully so. I've felt that way all year.