Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Pierzynski DFA'd (Rosenthal Rumor)

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,531 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

Makes the Suzuki signing look better & better.

But I'm still an A.J. fan .... sometimes you just have to know when you're done.

#2 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

But I'm still an A.J. fan .... sometimes you just have to know when you're done.

He is coming off two pretty good years. Interesting. Bet he is glad he took a discount.

#3 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Twins were lucky they signed Suzuki, if this is true because Buck and Pierzynski were two players they courted. Suzuki has been at career best numbers for us.

I would still take AJ on the Twins, he was always a clutch hitter and he came through with some big clutch hits in the 2002 playoff run. He was good at framing pitches too when he was with the White Sox.

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,350 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

He's actually hitting ok for a backup catcher. He'll get picked up by a team for down the stretch.

If Terry signs him and says why not us we can get back in this thing, I will go jump off the nearest bridge.
This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#5 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Could potentially soften the likelihood of Suzuki being traded...or at least gives said team a shot at another catcher before they'd get 'desperate' to try the trade market of Suzuki...

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

This will eliminate one possible trade destination for Suzuki. The Blue Jays, Orioles and Dodgers are teams potentially interested in a catcher.

It may also speed up the process faster then the Twins are willing. They may get a call from a team preferring Suzuki but ready to make a deal for Pierzynski (while in DFA limbo) if the Twins don't respond quickly.

I hope the Twins are ready to deal.

#7 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

Interesting!

I think any team that was looking to trade for Suzuki will still want Kurt over AJ at this point.
I mean, Kurt>AJ>John Buck is probably how that all shakes out.

Another article on AJ's DFA
http://www.mlbtrader...assignment.html

#8 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,843 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

I like teams that take decisive action.

#9 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

This will eliminate one possible trade destination for Suzuki. The Blue Jays, Orioles and Dodgers are teams potentially interested in a catcher.

It may also speed up the process faster then the Twins are willing. They may get a call from a team preferring Suzuki but ready to make a deal for Pierzynski (while in DFA limbo) if the Twins don't respond quickly.

I hope the Twins are ready to deal.

And that is the key. With the A's bold move, the Orioles and Jays need to make a series of bold moves if they hope to keep up. The Twins need to be ready for a blockbuster counter-proposal (ie....include Suzuki with another impact player or two to get a shot at their high-end prospects) to both of these teams when they come a-calling.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

This is about his abrasive personality on a losing team, no? When last I looked, AJ was hitting satisfactorily for a catcher.

#11 spsdrock

spsdrock

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

http://espn.go.com/b...-boston-red-sox

Mostly Boston just wants to move on with the young guys. Good management and ownership.

#12 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

His BA is fine, but his OBP and SLG are low...I'm betting somebody would rather have him for no prospects then meet Suzuki's price.

#13 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

Didn't AJ pick Boston over the Twins since he wanted to go to a winning team? Last I checked the Sox had a worse record.

In my best Nelson Muntz voice..."HA HA!"
I bent my wookie...

#14 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

His BA is fine, but his OBP and SLG are low...I'm betting somebody would rather have him for no prospects then meet Suzuki's price.

I agree. You don't usually find catchers DFA'd in the summer that you might start for a winning team. That is part of why catchers, shortstops and centerfielders return more in trade.

On the other hand, there are multiple cheap veteran bats available like Soriano every year. It is hard to get anything in return for Willingham and Morales when the cost of a Soriano is so little.

#15 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

This is about his abrasive personality on a losing team, no? When last I looked, AJ was hitting satisfactorily for a catcher.

I suspect the main reason is they want to go younger, but I wonder if his personality was a least a small element of truth. I think AJ would be a great spark on a winning team or a young team that has some potential. But the abrasive spark plug that works in some situations/locker rooms can sometimes be detrimental in others.

#16 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

And that is the key. With the A's bold move, the Orioles and Jays need to make a series of bold moves if they hope to keep up. The Twins need to be ready for a blockbuster counter-proposal (ie....include Suzuki with another impact player or two to get a shot at their high-end prospects) to both of these teams when they come a-calling.

WHOA! Who are these impact players--and do the Twins have an excess of them to trade?

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:47 PM

Surprising and risky from Boston. Just goes to show how unpredictable things can be though.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

WHOA! Who are these impact players--and do the Twins have an excess of them to trade?

Dozier..Plouffe...Willingham

#19 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Another example of the difference between the Red Sox and the Twins.

Management selection:

Red Sox: bad year in 2012 leads to the firing of a two-time World Series winning manager. Twins: three consecutive 90-loss seasons leads to a two-year contract extension for a manager who has won one play-off series in his career.

Drafting and player development (recent examples):

In 2011, Red Sox drafted Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Mookie Betts after Twins drafted Levi (sure thing) Michael. In 2010, Red Sox drafted Brandon Workman and Garin Cecchini after Twins drafted Alex (sure thing) Wimmers.

Advanced metrics:

Red Sox: invested heavily and early, including hiring one of the gurus of advanced metrics. Twins: "after being one of the last teams to pay attention to advanced metrics, we hired this guy named Jack, who you never heard of before, and we can't really tell you the specific ways he provides input to our decisions."

Roster strategies:

Red Sox: team not meeting expectations in 2012 and 2014 - reduce veterans and salaries, bring up young players to get them experience and see how they perform. Twins: team not meeting expectations in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 - "let's get more veteran players who have never or rarely been considered all-star quality and if they have the best year of their career, well, let's keep them for future years instead of trading them for players who can help in the future;" also, let younger players know they have to "prove it" in the minors before bringing them up, unless roster planning emergencies cause "no other choice" promotions.

Red Sox: three World Series titles in ten years. Twins: three top ten draft choices in three years (and closing in on four in four).

Edited by Deduno Abides, 09 July 2014 - 05:41 PM.

"Where's the Crede?"

#20 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:46 PM

Harsh for a guy hitting .254, 4 HR 31 RBI. He could DH for the Twins.

#21 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

I think the twins should pick him up. Boston has to pay his salary right? And the twins could always trade him and suski or just one of them. We could pry get him cheap

#22 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:54 PM

wasnt the manager Boston let go manager of the year with cleveland the next year? Maybe they should fire their current manger after this year if the team doesnt make the playoffs

#23 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

Maybe I am reading things incorrectly on this thread, but I think we are forgetting about the Bobby Valentine massacre in 2012 for the BoSox.

#24 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

Maybe I am reading things incorrectly on this thread, but I think we are forgetting about the Bobby Valentine massacre in 2012 for the BoSox.

Bark, you're right; my memory error. Thanks for pointing it out - and the really decent way you pointed it out.

However, even with the head-scratching error of hiring Valentine, wouldn't you agree that cleaning house after that mistake and winning the World Series the next year more than makes up for it, if you're a Sox fan? Francona, a talented manager, for some reason wasn't working out and at least the Red Sox took action before staleness and mediocrity settled into the working relationship (possibly, their wunderkind GM wasn't working out either and something happened to end that relationship, also, with future success for the Sox). After getting the action wrong the first time, they cleaned it up promptly and achieved top success.

It's better than going year after year with the same musicians repeatedly playing "Tomorrow" from Annie, while talking about how good their band once was.

-DA
"Where's the Crede?"

#25 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

Here is a Strib article talking more about the situation. Sounds like his personality was a major factor here, if not the deciding factor.

#26 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,061 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, deadspin had a piece on it today. Sounds like the clubhouse hated him and ran him out of town.

Meh, Boston is a sinking ship this year, which is hilarious.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#27 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

I guess the thing I don't understand is couldn't the Sox find a trading partner for AJ? There are 3 or 4 teams that might need catching help and I would think they could have traded him for at least a bucket of balls. I just don't understand the DFA in this scenario.

As I have stated before I am no lover of AJ the person or some of his antics as a player but he has been a good and durable catcher for a long time and I can appreciate how good he has been over his career. I just thought he could have been traded.

#28 Obie

Obie

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I can't help but remember the posters here this spring who suggested we needed the edge in the locker room AJ would bring. It seems the edge may actually have turned out to be poison, according to this report from a Boston radio station: http://www.weei.com/...e-anybody-could

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Here is a Strib article talking more about the situation. Sounds like his personality was a major factor here, if not the deciding factor.

That surely caught Boston by surprise. This gentleman has been in the league for merely 17 seasons. As far as I know, there have never been any questions about his demeanor on or off the field. How were they to know?

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Another example of the difference between the Red Sox and the Twins.

Management selection:

Red Sox: bad year in 2012 leads to the firing of a two-time World Series winning manager. Twins: three consecutive 90-loss seasons leads to a two-year contract extension for a manager who has won one play-off series in his career.

Drafting and player development (recent examples):

In 2011, Red Sox drafted Henry Owens, Jackie Bradley, Jr. and Mookie Betts after Twins drafted Levi (sure thing) Michael. In 2010, Red Sox drafted Brandon Workman and Garin Cecchini after Twins drafted Alex (sure thing) Wimmers.

Advanced metrics:

Red Sox: invested heavily and early, including hiring one of the gurus of advanced metrics. Twins: "after being one of the last teams to pay attention to advanced metrics, we hired this guy named Jack, who you never heard of before, and we can't really tell you the specific ways he provides input to our decisions."

Roster strategies:

Red Sox: team not meeting expectations in 2012 and 2014 - reduce veterans and salaries, bring up young players to get them experience and see how they perform. Twins: team not meeting expectations in 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 - "let's get more veteran players who have never or rarely been considered all-star quality and if they have the best year of their career, well, let's keep them for future years instead of trading them for players who can help in the future;" also, let younger players know they have to "prove it" in the minors before bringing them up, unless roster planning emergencies cause "no other choice" promotions.

Red Sox: three World Series titles in ten years. Twins: three top ten draft choices in three years (and closing in on four in four).

Red Sox: 1.587 billion in payroll last 10 years
Twins: 845 million in payroll last 10 years.

Almost seems like a significant resource advantage should be considered, no? I mean, that extra 700m+ had to be worth at least one win.