Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (07/08): Alex Meyer Shines, Mike Kvasnicka Glows

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

It is interesting to see Rosario and Hicks performing at the same level. Hicks certainly looks to be the more ready player.

In fact Hicks is tied with Dozier for 5th on the team in OBP. Pinto would be 9th. As much as they were criticized by the organization, it sure seemed like he Twins were playing better when these flawed younger players were in the line up and getting on base. At least we now have veterans who know how to go about their business.

#22 Wyorev

Wyorev

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

. . . IMO, he should be brought up to learn more about how ready he is, both the twins and Meyer need that learning.

MWW - that's quite an interesting thought. It has me thinking.
Thanks.
Who remembers Frank Viola's beginning in MLB?
He learned on the fly.
If I remember correctly, he had games where he would be looking into the dugout, wanting to be pulled, and they'd leave him in to - I think - sort of teach him to toughen up. A manager would get ripped pretty good for that now, and maybe deserved to be then. . .

#23 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

It is interesting to see Rosario and Hicks performing at the same level. Hicks certainly looks to be the more ready player.

In fact Hicks is tied with Dozier for 5th on the team in OBP. Pinto would be 9th. As much as they were criticized by the organization, it sure seemed like he Twins were playing better when these flawed younger players were in the line up and getting on base. At least we now have veterans who know how to go about their business.

I saw Hicks being sent down as what was best for Hicks -- not necessarily what was best for the team.

And he has been rolling better recently. His AA .BA is now up to .279 and his OBP is .400, SLG at .410 and OPS at .810. This is pretty much where he was at in AA in 2012. I really don't want the Twins to rush him back. I want to see if he can keep improving those numbers and keep his confidence. Maybe try a stint at AAA and see if he can maintain them there.

It's another lost season for the Twins anyway. I'd like to see Hicks get the experience and build the confidence he needs to be ready for 2015.

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,683 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think it's a little silly to say that Meyer is absolutely ready for the big leagues. He was great in April, and mediocre in May and not very good in June. He's been alright the last three outings, though his walk rate is not good.

I think they should get him up this year too, but it's not a travesty at all that he isn't up yet.

Every number but his BB rate this year says he has nothing left to accomplish in the minors, IMO. That isn't to say he won't struggle, but it is all relative.

I think a K rate of 27% negates the higher walk rate to an extent. His 4.3 BB per 9 is not awful. In total, I think he has dominated every level thus far (3.06 ERA) with a 10.4 K per 9 rate. That number has not tailed off as he moved up like most do.

Given that we are in rebuild mode, it is a borderline travesty that we saw Pino over M or M, in my opinion. Kris Johnson should not see the field until both M and M have been up.

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:16 PM

9-1 with a 1.92 ERA deserves a shot so I disagree with the travesty part, rebuild or not. Strikeouts are not indicative of dominance, but of raw stuff. Liam Henckriks had better stats with much less stuff which tells me Meyer is a little rough around the edges. I have also made the consistency argument on behalf of Meyer and May but honestly, they should consistently dominate AAA as reflected in ERA before going to the next level. If you want to go with WHIP then May should be next and Meyer is probably close enough to Johnson to give him the nod but Pino was exceptional and if he didn't earn the promotion then no one has.

#26 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

"I saw Hicks being sent down as what was best for Hicks -- not necessarily what was best for the team." Well put. As I have pointed out before Hicks has an OBP better than Revere or Span this year and those are the guys fans were moaning about losing. His OBP plays very well from the 9 spot but it is still hard to justify a .200 batting average. I still kind of wish he had stuck with just right handed hitting though.

#27 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

Who said he is ready? IMO, he should be brought up to learn more about how ready he is, both the twins and Meyer need that learning.

A number of commenters have said he's ready. We as fans want to learn more about how ready he is, but it's just not within the realm of how it all works to think that the Twins, who have skilled coaches watching very pitch and every bullpen, haven't "learned" how ready he is. If he was 100% ready, they'd have made room by now. Since he isn't, they're doing what they think is best for him.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

A number of commenters have said he's ready. We as fans want to learn more about how ready he is, but it's just not within the realm of how it all works to think that the Twins, who have skilled coaches watching very pitch and every bullpen, haven't "learned" how ready he is. If he was 100% ready, they'd have made room by now. Since he isn't, they're doing what they think is best for him.

I'm pretty sure the standard of 100% ready isn't real for any player on any team. It's an inexact science.

#29 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Wow, poor JD Williams goes 4-4 with a HR and is on base 5 times and can't get a TD Hitter of the Day award cuz someone else had 5 hits in twice as many games? Sheesh... that's what we call a bad beat in the poker room!