Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Stephen Gonsalves

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:08 AM

When drafted by the Twins in the fourth round, Gonsalves was touted as a guy with a chance to be the big steal from that draft. As this most recent round of promotions went around, I expected him to finally make his way to Cedar Rapids, but seems he got passed over. Seems as if he had one rough outing this year, but other than that, his brief professional career has been nothing short of dominating.

Career numbers
IP: 42.1 ERA: 1.70 WHIP: 1.03 HR: 0 K: 53 BB: 14

It's not that Hu or Reed weren't deserving, but Gonsalves has better numbers and more success than both of them. Is there some reason he's being held back?

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

I don't know much about the situation, but Gonsalves did just turn 20 yesterday. I'm guessing that factors into it.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#3 twinsbaby

twinsbaby

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

Why did you scout the stat lines? Did you know he couldn't hold velo? Did you konw he had command issue? Did you know his breaking ball was not good? He just touched 87-89 mph on the radar gun early outings.

Hu's velocity average 91 mph this season, touched 93-94 mph on the radar gun. His control and command improved this season, his breaking ball also improved.

If you asked Brad steil on Hu, Steil said he was VERY impressive on him. So, why were you very high on a suspect and very low on a prospect? :confused:

You also could ask our scout Cary Broder who signed Hu. I thought he would told you everything on Hu.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,762 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Why did you scout the stat lines? Did you know he couldn't hold velo? Did you konw he had command issue? Did you know his breaking ball was not good? He just touched 87-89 mph on the radar gun early outings.

There's absolutely no reason to berate the original poster for asking a question. If you have an answer to that question, feel free to post it without the snark.

#5 UCLA_YANKEE_COLA

UCLA_YANKEE_COLA

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Why did you scout the stat lines?

It's hard to do anything but scout the stat line with the minor leaguers. That's why this forum is pretty great, some people live closer to minor league cities and can inform those of us who don't while others are "connected" and can offer insights that we can't find elsewhere.

#6 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the defense guys. I asked the question because I don't have that information and it's not always the easiest to find and this info. If you have recommendations as to where I can find it in the future, I'd be glad to save you guys the trouble of having to pass down the information.