Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Hump Day Happy Notes

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:57 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Day-Happy-Notes

#2 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,506 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:37 AM

Moderator note:

These are some nice things to think about.

The article begins with: "Things are pretty bleak for Twins fans these days." Let's not turn this thread into a debate about how bleak things are. Let's try to keep on topic -- happy notes. There are many other threads on TD for discussing unhappy notes, and you can start your own if you wish, but please don't derail this one.

#3 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

I wanted Salty over Suzuki, but he had definitely been a nice surprise. And I wanted Phil Hughes to sign with us since I had a feeling he would do well here. Didn't think he'd be this good though!

#4 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

6) Santana's been a very nice surprise in his time up here, or at least he's surprised me; I don't know if he'll avoid another trip to the minors this year, but he looks like he's for real.

#5 beyondclarity

beyondclarity

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

Part of the reason I follow Twins Daily is to find the happy stories in the minors. I really like the direction things are going, we're starting to see that the high draft picks the Twins keep making are coming out of the gate very well. Those were picks they couldn't miss on and so far so good!

#6 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

A huge happy note for me is that, when a SP goes down, which is an inevitability, we have palatable solutions: Johnson, Pino, May, Darnell, and Meyer have all made a case for themselves. Another is that we're in almost every game, with very few blowouts, and this indicates that we're pretty close to having enough talent to convert a lot of those close losses into wins. Much more fun this year to watch this team play.

Edited by birdwatcher, 09 July 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#7 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

I am excited to see what happens with Polanco. When does he get a promotion to AA? Will he continue to rake at NB? Also, the group of players that could eventually all be together at NB are loaded with talent. Buxton, Rosario, Berrios, Polanco, Vargas to name a few. Wow! The talent is starting to trickle towards the upper levels of the minors which gives hope for the big league club.

#8 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

I've just plain enjoyed watching this team more than last year. Especially when Santana was playing. More exciting in general. Most people hate September when the team is out of the running but I like seeing the young guys come up and play. This should be a good September to see some of the future.

#9 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

I've just plain enjoyed watching this team more than last year. Especially when Santana was playing. More exciting in general. Most people hate September when the team is out of the running but I like seeing the young guys come up and play. This should be a good September to see some of the future.

Hopefully over the next 2 months Buxton tears the cover off the ball so they give him a September call-up.

#10 dougkoebernick

dougkoebernick

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:01 AM

If it wasn't for TwinsDaily informing me about what was going on with young guys coming up, I might have walked in front of traffic sometime in the last 3.5 years...

#11 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I don't think things are that bleak unless you really thought the Twins would contend this year. Bleak was the 2nd half of 2011 when guys were dropping like flies and we were replacing them with guys that were doing poorly in the minors so all jokes aside we truly did end with a poor AAA team. Now we are almost wanting guys to get hurt so we can see the guys busting at the seams in the minors get their chance. The biggest position hole was shortstop and now we have a great choice of Nunez, Escobar, Santana and Polanco. Because of this log jam I kind of want a 2015 outfield of Rosario, Buxton and Santana with Polanco at short. I haven't given up on Arcia, Hicks and Parmalee and I have gone from anti Plouffe to pro Plouffe so if Sano develops that will also complicate things but in a good way. Vargas is also doing great and Pinto having a good stretch in AAA. I like building through the system and the system looks great.

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

How about an aggressive prediction for Gordon. After the Appy season ends he goes to Cedar Rapids for the last handful of games this year and then jumps to High A for the start of next season (all barring injury of course).

#13 twinkiesfan11

twinkiesfan11

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Nice story, thanks for pointing out some of the many positives. Don't forget about Buxton returning to Action and Sano's positive prognosis as positive headlines. Those are two of the most important storylines to monitor in my opinion.

OH! and Nick Burdi has struck out every batter he's retired in his past two appearances!!!

Edited by twinkiesfan11, 09 July 2014 - 09:12 AM.
Another thought

#14 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Didn't know Gordon was doing so well - that is most EXCELLENT news.

#15 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

I know it's way too early, but how soon could we see Gordon in CR? Is it plausible he gets there this year?

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,827 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

The tip to check out Gordon caused me to notice that the second position player chosen this past June, Max Murphy, is even more killing the ball, batting .424 including 5 HR in 77 PA, for a positively sick 1.350 OPS. Don't talk to me about SSS - move over Byron Buxton, this guy plays CF too. :)

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,289 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

I know it's way too early, but how soon could we see Gordon in CR? Is it plausible he gets there this year?

Possible, yes... but unlikely. He's fresh out of high school so the earliest I think we see him at CR is next spring (and that's okay).

#18 VandyTwinsFan

VandyTwinsFan

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=twinkiesfan11;253484OH! and Nick Burdi has struck out every batter he's retired in his past two appearances!!![/QUOTE]

I had to read this twice to make sure I had it correctly. Every one of his 6 outs this season has come via a strikeout. Besides his first outing where he walked four guys in a row (all of which later scored), he has walked one and gave up two hits.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

Big Nick Gordon fan, have been for months. Super happy he's in their system.

On the MLB front, super thrilled about Hughes. I liked the signing, but was nervous, very glad it is working out.

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Even with the negatives about this offseason, Suzuki and Hughes represent enormously positive accomplishments for the front office this offseason.

#21 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

I love watching baseball, so any day that isn't the offseason is a happy day for me. It would be a lot more fun if the Twins were performing better, but it is exciting to see some of the performances in the minor leagues.
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#22 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Hopefully they shake things up for once before the deadline, they're still not any closer to being contenders than they were 3 years ago so w/ that and their stocked farm system there is no reason to cling to any veterans that could appeal to another team.

#23 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:58 PM

A.J. just got DFA'd in Boston - No question the Twins won the Free Agent catcher sweepstakes. When will the extension talks begin with Suzuki? Seems like we need to lock him in for another 2 years.

In one short month, shortstop has become our deepest infield position in the system with Santana, Polanco and Gordon all playing impressively. Great to have options and potential trade chips that could bring great returns.

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,827 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:21 PM

OH! and Nick Burdi has struck out every batter he's retired in his past two appearances!!!

Seems like a FIP comment should be appropriate but I can't quite think what. :)

#25 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Hopefully they shake things up for once before the deadline, they're still not any closer to being contenders than they were 3 years ago so w/ that and their stocked farm system there is no reason to cling to any veterans that could appeal to another team.

I will politely disagree. Even with the rest of the season still to come, and final record a mystery yet to be uncovered, the Twins, even as constructed now, are far more competitive than they have been the past three seasons. And possible fixes and fixtures such as Dozier, Santana, Plouffe, Hughes, Gibson, Arcia, and even Nolasco once healthy again could and should be part of the rebuild the next few seasons. Hicks could still be a part of the equation, as can be Nunez and Escobar. We've also seen some of what Pinto might do/become last season and the begining of this season.

Ive always enjoyed drafts, recruiting season, and the Twins minor leagues. I find the "what if" factor very enjoyable. And it's easy to get wrapped up in all the talented youngsters on their way up for our beloved Twins. And it's hard not to get impatient at times for their arrival. Hard to temper enthusiasm.

But even with the setbacks to Buxton and Sano this season, and the missed early season by Rosario, the Twins minor leagues have so many success stories going on this season that. I just couldn't even begin to list them all.

Look beyond impatience for a moment, and just drink in what May and Meyer have done thus far in only their first AAA seasons. Berrios just might be something special, which I've thought almost since day one.

In addition to Santana's play, Polanco is having another outstanding season. He's hit even better since his cup of coffee with the Twins, and should be in AA soon. Vargas seems to have all the makings of a true impact bat. Walker is probably a little farther away, but is still performing and filled with talent.

All of these kids, and a few more I'm not even mentioning, should all be either up with the Twins to begin the next season, or in AAA, with a couple in AA...not far away...and possible mid-season promotions who might see time at Target Field before the season is done. And we're talking top 20 talent here, not just solid gamers.

And none of the names I've mentioned even include guys like Stewart, or Gordon, or several other high and lower A players having excellent showings. The next couple of years should be really fun!

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#26 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

I love watching baseball, so any day that isn't the offseason is a happy day for me. It would be a lot more fun if the Twins were performing better, but it is exciting to see some of the performances in the minor leagues.

Pretty much this. And it didn't snow today, either.

Doesn't take much to make me happy. A trait learned from dogs. Although they like snow.
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:17 PM

I will politely disagree. Even with the rest of the season still to come, and final record a mystery yet to be uncovered, the Twins, even as constructed now, are far more competitive than they have been the past three seasons. And possible fixes and fixtures such as Dozier, Santana, Plouffe, Hughes, Gibson, Arcia, and even Nolasco once healthy again could and should be part of the rebuild the next few seasons. Hicks could still be a part of the equation, as can be Nunez and Escobar. We've also seen some of what Pinto might do/become last season and the begining of this season.

Ive always enjoyed drafts, recruiting season, and the Twins minor leagues. I find the "what if" factor very enjoyable. And it's easy to get wrapped up in all the talented youngsters on their way up for our beloved Twins. And it's hard not to get impatient at times for their arrival. Hard to temper enthusiasm.

But even with the setbacks to Buxton and Sano this season, and the missed early season by Rosario, the Twins minor leagues have so many success stories going on this season that. I just couldn't even begin to list them all.

Look beyond impatience for a moment, and just drink in what May and Meyer have done thus far in only their first AAA seasons. Berrios just might be something special, which I've thought almost since day one.

In addition to Santana's play, Polanco is having another outstanding season. He's hit even better since his cup of coffee with the Twins, and should be in AA soon. Vargas seems to have all the makings of a true impact bat. Walker is probably a little farther away, but is still performing and filled with talent.

All of these kids, and a few more I'm not even mentioning, should all be either up with the Twins to begin the next season, or in AAA, with a couple in AA...not far away...and possible mid-season promotions who might see time at Target Field before the season is done. And we're talking top 20 talent here, not just solid gamers.

And none of the names I've mentioned even include guys like Stewart, or Gordon, or several other high and lower A players having excellent showings. The next couple of years should be really fun!

I think this is spot on. The overall talent level in the organization is vastly improved over the past couple of years. It will take a couple of years for every for everything to shake out, but the future is bright, no reason to do anything crazy.

That said, I think there is an opportunity during this deadline. There actually are some assets to move in the last year of their deals (plus some relief arms) and the Twins actually have some guys to replace them - especially arm wise. Some aggressive trades could really infuse the system with some additional depth while doing nothing to harm the long term future of the squad - and perhaps even helping by bringing the prospects up.
Papers...business papers.

#28 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

I think this is spot on. The overall talent level in the organization is vastly improved over the past couple of years. It will take a couple of years for every for everything to shake out, but the future is bright, no reason to do anything crazy.

That said, I think there is an opportunity during this deadline. There actually are some assets to move in the last year of their deals (plus some relief arms) and the Twins actually have some guys to replace them - especially arm wise. Some aggressive trades could really infuse the system with some additional depth while doing nothing to harm the long term future of the squad - and perhaps even helping by bringing the prospects up.

I like your thoughts. Yes, a few more years until the Twins prospects change, pun intended, but I maintain we're seeing the transformation begin this season, with the young players already mentioned, and those that should be ready soon.

But slightly off topic, and yet still very much on target with the sentiment of this thread, I'm looking not only at the second half of this season, but also to 2015. Here is the situation I think our Twins find themselves: improving, working in talented youngsters, competitive, but not ready for prime time competition yet.

There are some that seem to have the belief we should throw caution to the wind, cut and trade, if you can, almost every 30 y.o. veteran, promote every young player in the field at Rochester and New Britain, pitcher and position player, and just run with it, let them learn at the ML level, and be damned.

But I think this is naive and self-defeating. Can we really expect Sano, Buxton, May, Meyer, Rosario, Pinto, etc, etc to just be plugged in April 2015 and expect anything more than losing? Some would say we've already done that, and this would be a new approach to losing that will build a team.

I would argue the Twins are already getting better, already implementing a youth movement that will only increase the second half of this season, and during the duration of 2015. But I believe the Twins are also doing what they should, trying to win, trying to put the best product on the field they can, (despite a couple major personnel blunders), and promoting a better/winning/competitive team for the fans, the kids coming up to join a solid program, and for the future.

Past experience and and logic would dictate the Twins are not going to trade, or simply release, 6-7 players at once. We have potential holes at CF, LF and DH next season, as well as at least 1 potentially key relief positions. Do we sign, or possibly trade for, a couple of decent, solid veterans for a year or two to fill these positions? Or do we really just turn to the kids?

And if it's the kids, still with almost a half season to play and see what develops, tell me who you really and truly project to fill these roles? I'd love to hear the thoughts.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#29 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

The way I see it - Correia, Willingham, Morales will not be on the team next year. There is no reason to keep them past August.

Suzuki could go either way - high value now but certainly worth considering an extension. The one x factor is that the best position prospect the Twins have that can play in the majors right now is a C. He could theoretically be replaced for the rest of the season.

Bullpen arms are what they are - and the Twins have guys in AAA to replace them.

That is why I see this as a unique situation with guys with expiring contracts that actually have a little value along with bodies to fill the spots. The Twins certainly should be more aggressive this trade deadline than they have the past couple of years.
Papers...business papers.

#30 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,229 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

I fail to see much of a youth movement this year, given that they are one of the older teams in all of MLB (even after the folly of Bartlett and Kubel being over). Here are the minor leaguers under the age of 30 that made their debut this year:

Santana
Tonkin (back in AAA)
Polanco (back in A ball)

Did I miss one? Not sure how that is a huge infusion of youth this year.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)