Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Nolasco to the DL, Herrmann recalled

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Grab a bat, punk!"

• Members
  • 7,278 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

I think we all prefer Parmalee in CF.

The idea of contracting the Twins once upset me...

#42 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,786 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Herrmann's having a good year at Rochester. He's on the 40-man and healthy. That he provides a third catcher is nice, but I really don't think it's the only reason why he got promoted. Hopefully, Santana and Mauer will be ready to go after the break. I expect many roster moves to be made, again especially if Mauer and Santana are ready to go.

Edit: duplicate

Im not a big fan of the Hermit, but have no problem with a short term move.

i wonder if it indicates a move after the ASG...

Edited by Sconnie, 08 July 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#43 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

I would be surprised if Herrmann plays anywhere other than the outfield during this call-up. I think he's more like the emergency catcher for Gardy rather than the 3rd catcher.

But I think the real question is - can Herrmann throw a good breaking ball?

#44 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

Let me see if I understand you correctly--the Twins should one of the few tradeable chips to obtain another 4th OF, one whose value is only for this wretched season? May I suggest spending some cash and reacquiring Joe Benson instead? Then the Twins may trade to acquire someone who might actually be part of the long term solution.

I agree, give me a pitcher in rookie league or A ball with upside over another 4th OF warming the seat for Buxton.

#45 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,147 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:10 AM

I believe this to be a short term move. Let's see what happens around the all star break as I bet Twins make some deals there or shortly after and this roster becomes far different than it is at the current time.

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 14,046 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

It's unsurprising given the options, but it's also more than a little uninspiring. Herrmann's slash line has been decent this year at AAA -- but it's still largely AVG driven and his BB and K rates are still pretty bad.

Plus, if his role is as limited as many suggest -- corner outfield defensive replacement and emergency catcher -- that's pretty much a waste of a roster spot on a team that's 3.5 games above the worst record in MLB at midseason. If there was no other position player available or deserving and we don't want another SP, I'd much rather see Tonkin, Achter, or even Meyer get some reps in the pen, even if just for a week until Santana/Mauer come back.

I guess it will be moot if indeed this is a short term band-aid to something more interesting, but I've heard a lot of promises to that extent already this season without many coming to fruition.

#47 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

Says a lot about the current state of the MLB, AAA, and AA teams. Note, I said current state, not the future, nor did I blame anyone, it is just a fact, there is no one in AA or AAA to help a team this inept in the field right now.

Jonathan Mayo just came out with his ratings of the top prospects at each position for the first half of the season...Guess what? No Twins prospects were named. There are some AAA and AA guys tearing up the minor leagues who are not Twins' prospects. Just saying....