Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Nolasco to the DL, Herrmann recalled

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

The Twins announced the RHP Ricky Nolasco is going on the 15-Day Disabled List with what is being called a "right elbow strain."

C/OF Chris Herrmann has been promoted to the Twins to take his spot on the roster.

#2 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

So Deduno takes his spot in the rotation for now presumably?

#3 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:38 PM

So Deduno takes his spot in the rotation for now presumably?

I really hope May gets his shot. I never want to see Deduno get another start until May and Meyer prove they aren't ready. I might throw up.

Lets all hope Nolasco can figure this out. Him being effective over his contract is vital for the Twins being competitive.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#4 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

[COLOR=#333333]I really hope May gets his shot. I never want to see Deduno get another start until May and Meyer prove they aren't ready. I might throw up.[/COLOR]

Better get your gag reflex ready.

#5 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

With only one start before the break, Deduno will probably get the start. After that we'll see.
I bent my wookie...

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'm curious to see what they do after the all star break. I can't fault them for waiting one start when everything would get messed up with the four days off. Hopefully Meyer just stays in Minneapolis.

Though I doubt it, I wonder if this prepares the way for a Suzuki trade soon after the all star game.
Papers...business papers.

#7 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

And they keep Freyer on the 25 man and 40 man roster why? To placate Gardenhires need for a third catcher?

#8 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

And they keep Freyer on the 25 man and 40 man roster why? To placate Gardenhires need for a third catcher?

This, and is Pinto off the DL at AAA?

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:34 PM

I guess I don't get it either. We are 21st in team OPS and 27th in team ERA. A starting pitcher goes to the DL and we bring up a guy that improves our defensive flexibility. He has good numbers in 33 games in AAA this year, but he has a career .732 OPS in the minors and a career .516 OPS at the MLB level in 241 AB's.

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

I guess I don't get it either. We are 21st in team OPS and 27th in team ERA. A starting pitcher goes to the DL and we bring up a guy that improves our defensive flexibility. He has good numbers in 33 games in AAA this year, but he has a career .732 OPS in the minors and a career .516 OPS at the MLB level in 241 AB's.

Gardy, three catchers, no logic required.

#11 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

There are only six games before the all star break. Once through the rotation. The team also wanted to drop a pitcher from the 25 man roster. They can make do until then. No point in calling up a starter to pitch one game and then sit for a week. Most likely we will see another move after the all star break. They will most likely shuffle the rotation at that time, perhaps make some other moves as well.

#12 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

I think bringing Herrmann up is less about a third catcher and more about another outfielder who could potentially play centerfield after Fuld banged into the fence hard yesterday.

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Deduno for a spot start is no big dea, however I bet it's Swarzak. Whoever gets the start probably won't throw again until Friday, but Deduno has already been off since last Friday the 4th. That's a long break to give him and keep him riding the pine with nothing to do. Swarzak on the other hand last pitched Sunday the 6th, a lay off until Friday would actually coincide with Nolasco's usual rotation spacing.

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

Let's hope you are all correct, and we only get one spot start.......
Lighten up Francis....

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Herrmann as CF insurance? Has he even played that in the minors?

I don't see the point when you could just throw Plouffe or Arcia out there...

#16 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:10 PM

Gardy, three catchers, no logic required.

Here's the sad part...the three catchers jokes are all well and good and deserved....but Chris Hermann may be the only logical choice to call up. We're that shallow offensively.

And, to me, that's a much more serious problem.

#17 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,030 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

Here's the sad part...the three catchers jokes are all well and good and deserved....but Chris Hermann may be the only logical choice to call up. We're that shallow offensively.

Says a lot about the current state of the MLB, AAA, and AA teams. Note, I said current state, not the future, nor did I blame anyone, it is just a fact, there is no one in AA or AAA to help a team this inept in the field right now.
Lighten up Francis....

#18 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

I think bringing Herrmann up is less about a third catcher and more about another outfielder who could potentially play centerfield after Fuld banged into the fence hard yesterday.

Danny Santana?

edit: Forgot he's on the DL
edit: Pinto too? He hasn't played since June 24. Out with hip stiffness. Damn.

Edited by Willihammer, 08 July 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#19 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

Herrmann is the right choice until Danny Santana is healthy. They need to make a trade.

#20 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

And it's a matter of historical fact that in any other organization it would be a much harder problem to fix than the manager's Catcher Injury Anxiety Disorder. But the Twins are likely to struggle just as hard to kick their Gardy addiction as they are to put offense on the field.

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:46 PM

Herrmann's having a good year at Rochester. He's on the 40-man and healthy. That he provides a third catcher is nice, but I really don't think it's the only reason why he got promoted. Hopefully, Santana and Mauer will be ready to go after the break. I expect many roster moves to be made, again especially if Mauer and Santana are ready to go.

#22 CRArko

CRArko

Citizen of the Cosmos

• Members
  • 1,425 posts
  • LocationThe outer edge of the Milky Way.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

And it's a matter of historical fact that in any other organization it would be a much harder problem to fix than the manager's Catcher Injury Anxiety Disorder. But the Twins are likely to struggle just as hard to kick their Gardy addiction as they are to put offense on the field.

You and I have different usages of the phrase "historical fact." But then, so does the History Channel.
Q: Why did the chicken cross the Möbius Strip?
A: To get to the same side.

#23 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,673 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

edit: Pinto too? He hasn't played since June 24. Out with hip stiffness. Damn.

He was activated from the DL today.

#24 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,908 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

He was activated from the DL today.

Good, after a week to ten day (after the All-Star break), he should be good to go.

#25 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

You and I have different usages of the phrase "historical fact." But then, so does the History Channel.

With the short-lived exceptions of two Hall of Fame mangers, no other non-expansion organization in baseball since WWII has retained its manager after three 90+ - loss seasons. The Twins have done it twice.

Kelly delivered two World Series wins. Gardenhire has delivered one of the lowest post-season win percentages ever.

Plus, three catchers. Time to move on.

#26 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:43 PM

Herrmann's having a good year at Rochester. He's on the 40-man and healthy. That he provides a third catcher is nice, but I really don't think it's the only reason why he got promoted. Hopefully, Santana and Mauer will be ready to go after the break. I expect many roster moves to be made, again especially if Mauer and Santana are ready to go.

I agree Hermann is having a good year and was playing the best at least hitting the best at Rochester. He offers the ability to play both corner outfield spots and catcher so that is a good option. If your going to go back to 12 pitchers and 13 position players even if it is for 6 more games why keep Fryer around. He isn't a viable pinch hitter or pinch runner and the only thing valuable he provides is catching and good defense. With the Offense struggling this much and Fuld ailing, why not give the Farris kid at AAA a chance. You could have easily dumped Florimon or Fryer off the 40 man and optioned Fryer to AAA, that seems like it is almost a no brainer move to make with Freyer's non-existent hitting and the need to get another center fielder a chance. There is no risk in designating Fryer or Florimon because the likelihood of either being claimed is less thn 1%.

#27 Trevor0333

Trevor0333

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:46 PM

Seriously, Hermann? I can understand his place on the roster if you want to DH a capable backup C, but as the next best bat from the minors, yuck.

Not as offended by Hermann as much as let him be the real backup and call up something else for Fryer. Hermann & Fryer should not be on the roster together except for both Pinto & Suzuki being injured simultaneously.

Edited by Trevor0333, 08 July 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#28 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:48 PM

Herrmann as CF insurance? Has he even played that in the minors?

I don't see the point when you could just throw Plouffe or Arcia out there...

When Herrmann was last sent down, Gardy said they were going to have him play some CF as insurance. Don't know if they actually played him there.

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

I think Herrmann's call-up is more about adding an outfielder than a catcher. He has 13 games in the Outfield at AAA this year (all in left and center).

With the Fuld collision with the wall, the Twins are undoubtedly being cautious.

And yes, it would be nice if there were other outfield options but the Twins are pretty thin at OF options. Here's hoping Santana comes back soon.

Edit: OOPS, his time in the outfield has been in right and left not center. (Mental glitch).

Edited by JB_Iowa, 08 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#30 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Vargas is also back in PR waiting for his wife to deliver a child, so it would be a mixed blessing for him to be called up now. He would have been my choice, had the team actually asked me. Maybe they didn't find out my new phone number.