Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Hitter of the Month - June 2014

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Month-June-2014

#2 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:34 PM

Love Herrmann, want him to actually stick in AAA for a time so he can get consistent play. Believe he will find real value eventually as a solid bat bench with versatility.

Romero may never turn out, but it's a real shame he didn't get at least a brief shot when Plouffe went down. That was a mistake. Might have the potential as a useful bench player eventually.

Vargas and Polanco are future fixtures.

Turner and Garver just might give us a tremendous pair of future C's. Along with Pinto and Herrmann? LOVE the future of the C position a year or two from now.

Does Hanson have a future as a multi-positional utility guy? Maybe. But Christianson is a kid I'd put money on. He could be a legit 6 position utility guy who could hit and run some.

Some nice names on this list.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Always a great read, Seth, thanks. the only coment I'll make is that I think Romero should have received his shot at the majors when Plouffe went down.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

After moving around a lot and sitting a lot in Minnesota, it is great seeing Herrmann playing everyday and playing very well. Really want to see him spend the entire season in Rochester, catching and/or playing a corner outfield spot. Then bring him up in September with a good chance of his being a valuable Twin for many years.

#5 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

I am glad to see Turner turning his season around and showing he can in fact hit a baseball. I know the defense is almost major league ready so to see his bat come around gives hope that he can make it as a big league starting C.

I would like to see Diebenson Romero at least get a September call up if he doesn't get called up earlier. He definitely has earned it.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

I agree on Herrmann. I think he has a lot of value to a team because of his versatility. He also can put together decent at bats. He's probably not a big league regular, but a good guy on the bench. Solid in both corners. Certainly a better CF than Parmelee (though Parmelee is adequate). Can play corner IF spots in a pinch, and most important, he can catch. Very good athlete.

As for Romero, it's really a 40 man roster spot for him. I'd like to see him get that cup of coffee. He had a solid season last year. He had a very nice showing this spring, and he's played well through most of the season this year. Not good glove, but bat has some pop.

Stuart Turner will be fine. I may have been wrong in saying he was my pick-to-click offensively in the Twins farm system, but he's coming around. That's a big jump from college to Ft. Myers, and he's handled it well.

#7 Lakeside

Lakeside

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:34 PM

I agree on Herrmann. I think he has a lot of value to a team because of his versatility. He also can put together decent at bats. He's probably not a big league regular, but a good guy on the bench. Solid in both corners. Certainly a better CF than Parmelee (though Parmelee is adequate). Can play corner IF spots in a pinch, and most important, he can catch. Very good athlete.

As for Romero, it's really a 40 man roster spot for him. I'd like to see him get that cup of coffee. He had a solid season last year. He had a very nice showing this spring, and he's played well through most of the season this year. Not good glove, but bat has some pop.

Stuart Turner will be fine. I may have been wrong in saying he was my pick-to-click offensively in the Twins farm system, but he's coming around. That's a big jump from college to Ft. Myers, and he's handled it well.

1) Like the catchers - Turner, Garver, and Hermann as a 3rd (plus utility player. . if he ever hits at the ML level. Add in Pinto and I think we have a potential starter somewhere in the three (Turner, Garver, Pinto)

2) Chad Christianson. . solid. . reminds me of the Cardinals Allen Craig when I saw him in the Northwoods League. . multiple positions. . Craig had more power tho. . .if Christianson gets close to him, he certainly can find a place in MLB at somepoint.

3) Rodriguez, Romero. . .they are both 6 year minor players so I believe they can be free agents after this season if not on the 40-man. Rodriguez will be 29, Romero 28 next season. . . .if Collabello (31 next season) doesn't hit in this trip up. . . will one of them be added to the 40-man and replace him in September to see what they can do???

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,309 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

. Certainly a better CF than Parmelee (though Parmelee is adequate)

Getting to balls that are hit to him does not make someone an adequate center (or out) fielder. Not getting to balls that average center (out)fielders get (which is what Parmelee does) make someone a below average center (out)fielder. Parmelee's range is severely limited. I don't even think that Herrmann is an adequate centerfielder as far as range is considered. He is an ok rightfielder. (Again, "adequate", "ok" etc. are comparisons with league average. Span is an ok centerfielder these days, with about league average defensive numbers across the board.) The fact that Herrmann is not as stiff as Parmelee out there does not make him a good option at outfield. I bet Suzuki and Plouffe can play the outfield as well. Mauer has played the outfield. Does that mean anything? About time that the Twins let Herrmann play his best defensive position, and that is Catcher. I think that what Gardy does to young players (swithes them around) is counter productive, because it is better if they master one position, instead of being average in 5. Better for the team too to play the best glove in the best position for him as well...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98