Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/6): Buxton's Back

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:56 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Red-Wings-Sweep

#2 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

A very big day for our top position and arguably our top pitching prospect. Buxton is back in the line up and it looks like he's lost nothing in the field. Will be interesting to see how long it takes him to get his batting eye back.

Berrios got what was clearly the most earned promotion of the year. As the youngest pitcher (I believe) at high A he was tearing up the league. He will certainly be a child among men at AA so those of us who were clamoring for this promotion will see what he's got at the next level. Too young, too short and too good. Makes for a high interest promotion.

Good luck to J O and hoping that Buck can stay off the ground.

#3 Smcginnity

Smcginnity

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

At the time in the draft, the Sam Clay pick baffled me and his stats are backing that up. He probably wouldn't even have been drafted until the 20th rounds yet the Twins took him in what? The 3rd or 4th? Makes no sense!

#4 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:54 AM

Congrats to Berrios and Lance Ray for their promotions to AA. Not sure what JD Williams did, but his game is only getting worse by staying in Cedar Rapids. Are either of the 2 pitchers coming up to the Miracle starters?

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

Wait, so now something's wrong with Buxton's back?!?!

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Congrats to Berrios and Lance Ray for their promotions to AA. Not sure what JD Williams did, but his game is only getting worse by staying in Cedar Rapids. Are either of the 2 pitchers coming up to the Miracle starters?

Mildren is a starter and he's been strong lately. He's not going to wow you with 100 mph fastballs, but he's been making steady progress and getting deeper in to games.

Van Steensel (another Twins Aussie) has been doing a lot of closing and getting a lot of Ks. If you get out to see him pitch, don't wait until he's on the mound to start watching him. Check out his entrance and all his little idiosyncracies on and around the mound. He's a hoot (and a great follow on Twitter, if you're not already following him).

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Mildren is a starter and he's been strong lately. He's not going to wow you with 100 mph fastballs, but he's been making steady progress and getting deeper in to games.

Van Steensel (another Twins Aussie) has been doing a lot of closing and getting a lot of Ks. If you get out to see him pitch, don't wait until he's on the mound to start watching him. Check out his entrance and all his little idiosyncracies on and around the mound. He's a hoot (and a great follow on Twitter, if you're not already following him).

Mildren was impressive when I saw him (one game, small sample size, I know), but he's backed it up a couple of times.

Van Steensel is fun to watch... he's definitely transformed himself since his last stint with the Twins organization.

He's also fun to follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/toddvs35

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

Buh-dump-bump...

#9 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

Gonsalves -
I cannot understand why he keeps getting passed over for promotion to CR. He has pitched 42 innings in Rookie ball with 14 BB & 53 SO.

He had 1 rough start this year, otherwise he has been pretty good.

Doe he have an attitude?
Are they trying to send him a message?

Hu has good stats & Reed was probably too advanced from the get-go. But why are 24-25 years old blocking him? Guys like Mazza or Muren or Wilson need to be released to make way.

#10 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

Excited to see Buxton back, but really excited about Berrios promotion. Any chance we see him in September if he performs well in NB?

#11 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Excited to see Buxton back, but really excited about Berrios promotion. Any chance we see him in September if he performs well in NB?

Considering he was the youngest player in A+, and will likely be the youngest at AA it's tough to say. The way he dominated A+ though..... Lots of room for optimism

#12 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

If Berrios dominates the rest of the season in AA could he earn a Sept callup?

#13 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

If Berrios dominates the rest of the season in AA could he earn a Sept callup?

Let him dominate AA first. Reminds me of the Steve Martin bit. "You can make a million dollars and not pay taxes. Ok, first, make a million dollars....."

#14 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Considering he was the youngest player in A+, and will likely be the youngest at AA it's tough to say. The way he dominated A+ though..... Lots of room for optimism

#15 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Just like Gilmarten came up and got to make his first start with AAA because of a doubleheader, will Berrios pitch tonight in New Britain's double dip?

#16 cattlefeeder

cattlefeeder

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

Were there any drops or DLs at Rochester and New Britain to make room? Hamburger's promotion looks like it might have been a spot start.

#17 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Just like Gilmarten came up and got to make his first start with AAA because of a doubleheader, will Berrios pitch tonight in New Britain's double dip?

He just pitched three days ago so I highly doubt it.

#18 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

I'm seeing Mason Melotakis on the New Britain roster as well, so apparently he was also called up.

#19 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

That was exactly my reaction after reading the headline.

#20 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

I see that Kennys Vargas is not listed on NB roster and has been listed in the transactions as "Inactive". Is he headed to Rochester (AAA) before the Futures Game?

#21 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

Not to minimize the ongoing Nolasco Fiasco, only (only?) 6 of the 9 runs were his. The Twins would have won that game 7-6 if Swarzak would have offered relief and not given up 3 earned in 3 innings. The runs that scored with Swarzak on the mound were the winning runs for the Yankees.
Jorge Polanco sure seems like one that should be promoted as soon as possible. He cameo on the Twins, and his performance since he has been back in Fort Meyers is certainly deserving. I hate to see anyone held back because of age. It really seems the most irrelevant factor of all.

Edited by h2oface, 07 July 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#22 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

I see that Kennys Vargas is not listed on NB roster and has been listed in the transactions as "Inactive". Is he headed to Rochester (AAA) before the Futures Game?

Need more information on this.

#23 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

He's on his way home. Wife is having a baby.

#24 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,711 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

#25 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Jorge Polanco sure seems like one that should be promoted as soon as possible. He cameo on the Twins, and his performance since he has been back in Fort Meyers is certainly deserving. I hate to see anyone held back because of age. It really seems the most irrelevant factor of all.

He may get a promotion to AA, and with a good performance through the rest of the year, a September call up and an opportunity to earn a spot coming out of spring training. I don't expect to see him in the majors again this year

#26 CRArko

CRArko

Oddball

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOn my Sherman
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

Need more information on this.

Sounds like he's headed back to Puerto Rico to be a new daddy.

Ninja'd.
Crazy... I mean like, so many positive waves... maybe we can't lose, you're on!

#27 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

He's on his way home. Wife is having a baby.

Much better news than the "he got traded" scenario that was running through my head.

#28 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:39 PM

Buh-dump-bump...

That was my first thought, too, when I saw the headline. Then I saw it was just Seth trying to give us all heart attacks. :)

#29 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

I was at the Kernels game for this one, the night before too. Engelb Vielma was my favorite to watch. he crushed a triple to RF corner on Saturday, and has a great arm at short. He is tiny. Unfortunately, he came out of the game on Sunday after a strange collision with JD Williams in left field. It looked like he was holding his head. If anyone has an update on his status, that would be nice to know. It seemed like the offense really lost a spark when he came out of the lineup.

JD Williams sure has been at low A for a long time now, and he didn't look good at the plate at all over the two games I saw. He finally got a hit late on Sunday, and that collision in the outfield with Vielma was on him. It would be nice to see him earn a promotion sooner than later, but things didn't look good this weekend and his avg sits at the Mendoza line...

#30 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

I was at the Kernels game for this one, the night before too. Engelb Vielma was my favorite to watch. he crushed a triple to RF corner on Saturday, and has a great arm at short. He is tiny. Unfortunately, he came out of the game on Sunday after a strange collision with JD Williams in left field. It looked like he was holding his head. If anyone has an update on his status, that would be nice to know.

Jake Mauer said after the game that he expected Vielma would have to sit out a week, the standard 7-day DL requirement for anyone with a head injury.

Nothing official, that I'm aware of, as of Monday night, however. Kernels had an off-day today.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~