Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Mark Appel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

1-4, 8.91 era in A+ ball. He's only striking out 7.2 per nine (17% of batters he faces). A lot of players struggle adapting to pro ball but this is insane. I don't think I can remember a top college arm drafted this high struggle this much.

#2 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Didn't Houston put him on the DL so he can work on his issues? Also I think I read that he didn't have great secondary pitches to go with his great straight fast ball.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

Didn't Houston put him on the DL so he can work on his issues? Also I think I read that he didn't have great secondary pitches to go with his great straight fast ball.

He was sent back to EST for a while but he's been back for a while and still looking pretty bad. Heard the same thing about his fastball.

#4 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

The first time I saw Appel on youtube and he was the consensus #1 pick I didn't get it. I saw a guy with no movement on his FB and he gave up way too many hits. I thought he could maybe develop into a solid pitch to contact #2 with a floor of a #5 guy. He didn't seem to overwhelm hitters in college but I didn't think he'd be this bad. I'm glad we dodged that bullet for sure

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 11:38 PM

Somehow it got worse. He's now 1-5 w/10.80 era in A+ ball. 66 hits in 37 innings. 33 strike outs. The Astros have become an absolute train wreck. I can't look away.

#6 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

Appel is becoming a worse story than Shooter Hunt.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,024 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

I'll take that bet. he is one of the smallest stadiums there is. I'll take a bet right now that he makes the majors, and for more than a cup of coffee. Any takers?
Lighten up Francis....

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

The first time I saw Appel on youtube and he was the consensus #1 pick I didn't get it. I saw a guy with no movement on his FB and he gave up way too many hits. I thought he could maybe develop into a solid pitch to contact #2 with a floor of a #5 guy. He didn't seem to overwhelm hitters in college but I didn't think he'd be this bad. I'm glad we dodged that bullet for sure

Not the first time people have said his pitches lack movement. Scouts were always puzzled between his stuff and his numbers. He had a good 5th year in college, but his 3rd and 4th years his numbers were not head and shoulders above the other guys, even though scouts loved his stuff. Always been a question, I am guessing he lacks movement, deception, or tips his pitches. None of those are good.

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I'll take that bet. he is one of the smallest stadiums there is. I'll take a bet right now that he makes the majors, and for more than a cup of coffee. Any takers?

Klaw tweeted that the Astros should demote him, promote him or rest him but apparently get him out of that park.

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:34 AM

He is hurt. Wrist injury. Had cortisone shot yesterday.

And this is another case that W-L record and ERA does not tell the story.

Last season: 38 IP: 9 BB, 33 K
This season: 38.3 IP: 11 BB, 33K

what the difference?

Last season: 2 HRs, 1.184 WHIP
This season: 9 HRs, 2.087 WHIP

2014 WHIP is BABIP-driven (ridiculous .426 BABIP this season)

I would not give up on him just yet, or even better, I'd try to pluck them from the Astros ;)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

what the difference?

I would not give up on him just yet, or even better, I'd try to pluck them from the Astros ;)

I am not given up on him, but I have others rated much higher at this point. The 9 HR is a concern, not a ball hit right at someone verus not issue....

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

what the difference?

While I agree he isn't done, looking just at stats to evaluate a 23 year old 1-1 pick in high A ball isn't ideal. The scouting reports have been pretty bad, too. Right now, I think Scott Baker career would be a nice return on Appel.

#13 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:26 PM

It's hard to have much confidence in a guy who can't adapt to a tough pitching environment. His performance certainly doesn't warrant a promotion and demoting him gets things back square one.