Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Yankees, 7/5 @ 1:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 30-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing from right to left field at 15-20 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

YANKEES:
SP, Phelps

Ellsbury CF
Jeter SS
McCann C
Teixeira 1B
Beltran DH
Roberts 2B
Suzuki RF
Soriano LF
Wheeler 3B

TWINS:
SP, Pino

Dozier 2B
Suzuki C
Parmelee 1B
Morales DH
Willingham LF
Arcia RF
Plouffe 3B
Escobar SS
Fuld CF

----------------------------------

Brian will be up shortly with his thoughts on the matter ... hopefully the fireworks from last night aren't persisting in his head this morning.
---------------------------------------
I did see fireworks last night... I'm not sure but I think they were the same fireworks I saw last year. I think they are just recycling fireworks now.

Things to Think About:

1. 4 game series -- If you lose the first two games of a 4 game series. You gotta win the next two or you will lose the series. Lose enough of those series... You start thinking about 2015. I'm thinking about 2014 and three quarters.

2. Yohan Pino -- The bloom is off the rose. He looked fantastic in his debut... Followed by hitable after that. Pino is 4 letters... $@?& is also 4 letters. I don't know why it blocked that... "Good" was the word I typed.

3. David Phelps -- He's 27 years old and from St. Louis Missouri. He played college ball with Notre Dame. It's an awesome feeling to throw a baseball with touchdown Jesus looking down on you. Over ridden with catholic guilt everytime he took the mound... He became a Yankee. Drafted by the Yankees in the 14th round of the 2008 draft. While the Yankees pursue Free Agent Pitchers... David Phelps spends his life waiting for Yankee injuries. Cashman calls him and says that Sabathia got hurt and Phelps throws a party. He is an average pitcher with average pitches.

4. Derek Jeter -- People are talking about this being the final visit to Minnesota by Derek Jeter. It also might be the last visit for Brian Roberts and Zelous Wheeler. Yet nobody is talking about them.

5. Hurricanes -- it seems early but Hurricane Arthur made things wet and windy for the Carolina outer banks. While it is not the height of hurricane season. I do think you should be prepared... Step 1... Stock up on food and water for your family for at least 3 days. Step 2... Move to Minnesota. Step 3... Sell your house on the coast.

If you follow those three steps... You should be safe this hurricane season.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 05 July 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,053 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Not sure about those recycled fireworks things... stopped watching the city shows years ago and launch my own every year. Far better.

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

5. Hurricanes -- it seems early but Hurricane Arthur made things wet and windy for the Carolina outer banks. While it is not the height of hurricane season. I do think you should be prepared... Step 1... Stock up on food and water for your family for at least 3 days. Step 2... Move to Minnesota. Step 3... Sell your house on the coast.

Yes, it does seem early, but technically it's not. Hurricane season is considered to be between June 1 and November 30. So, they pack up and move for a storm that may hit every other year. Yes, it's a big storm ... but pack up and move to a place that has tornadoes and floods and blizzards? Seems like a lot to do to trade one natural disaster for another.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 05 July 2014 - 11:23 AM.

#4 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

Not sure about those recycled fireworks things... stopped watching the city shows years ago and launch my own every year. Far better.

And as long as you wear appropriate ear plugs and protective eye wear, a lot more fun. (I would imagine.)

#5 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

Nice to see Gardenhire batting his "Gardy's pet" in Chris Parmalee in the 3 hole again and playing first base. Must be nice being the teachers pet. You get to bat third even if it is undeserved. Until we are rid of "Gardenhire" this franchise is doomed. Gardy always has teachers pet's guy's that he thinks are way better than they are, but the statistics prove otherwise. This will be long slog before Gardenhire finally resigns maybe two years from now in the final year of his deal. Why would he resign the money is too good, there is no pressure to win here and he get's to keep all of his buddy's on his coaching staff even as he empty's out the stadium in August and September. How low do they go before they even make him make a token firing?

Edited by jaimedude2, 05 July 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

another very g**d set-up, RB!

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,957 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

While it is not the height of hurricane season. I do think you should be prepared... Step 1... Stock up on food and water for your family for at least 3 days. Step 2... Move to Minnesota. Step 3... Sell your house on the coast.

If there is indeed a person who is considering taking Brian's 3 steps of preparation in case of a hurricane - please PM me. I will trade my residence and living situation straight up for yours... I'll even throw in a snow blower. My only stipulation is that it has to be south of North Carolina. If your residence is a makeshift shack or a sturdy cardboard box, I am okay with that.

PS - I am hoping for a Twins victory today.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

#8 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

I did see fireworks last night... I'm not sure but I think they were the same fireworks I saw last year. I think they are just recycling fireworks now.

Good to know. I'll keep my eyes out for the recycling bins next time i set 'em off...

Do we have to wash them out first/remove labels?

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Nice to see Gardenhire batting his "Gardy's pet" in Chris Parmalee in the 3 hole again and playing first base. Must be nice being the teachers pet. You get to bat third even if it is undeserved. Until we are rid of "Gardenhire" this franchise is doomed. Gardy always has teachers pet's guy's that he thinks are way better than they are, but the statistics prove otherwise. This will be long slog before Gardenhire finally resigns maybe two years from now in the final year of his deal. Why would he resign the money is too good, there is no pressure to win here and he get's to keep all of his buddy's on his coaching staff even as he empty's out the stadium in August and September. How low do they go before they even make him make a token firing?

Given the current roster, what lineup would you have given? You obviously don't like the current lineup, so just wondering what you might have done instead.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Don't y'all have any decent hair stylists in the TC?

Smalley is desperate for help.

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

Given the current roster, what lineup would you have given? You obviously don't like the current lineup, so just wondering what you might have done instead.

Can't speak for others, but I'd like:

Knoblauch, 2b, circa 1995
Mauer, c, circa 2009
Puckett, cf, circa 1988
Killebrew, 1b, circa 1969
Mack, LF, circa 1992
Oliva, rf, circa 1964
Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
Davis, DH, circa 1991
Versailles, SS, circa 1965

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

Lets see the GD Yankees beat that team.

of course, since none of the above are available to Gardy today, Parmelee in the three hole isn't the worst decision in history.

Edited by USAFChief, 05 July 2014 - 12:08 PM.

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,332 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

another very g**d set-up, RB!

** yea!

#13 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Mauer, c, circa 2009
Puckett, cf, circa 1988
Mack, LF, circa 1992
Oliva, rf, circa 1964
Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
Davis, DH, circa 1991

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

Succinct as usual. You never disappoint, Chief! :)

#14 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

Mauer, c, circa 2009
Puckett, cf, circa 1988
Mack, LF, circa 1992
Oliva, rf, circa 1964
Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
Davis, DH, circa 1991

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

of course, since none of the above are available to Gardy today, Parmelee in the three hole isn't the worst decision in history.

Ron Davis as closer circa 1984 should help them out.

#15 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

So, maybe I'm mostly oblivious to such things, but have we 'honored' retiring members of the opposite team before? I mean, Rivera last year and Jeter this year? Have we done this kind of thing before?

#16 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

So, maybe I'm mostly oblivious to such things, but have we 'honored' retiring members of the opposite team before? I mean, Rivera last year and Jeter this year? Have we done this kind of thing before?

See GCTF's post. There was much joy and celebration when Ron Davis retired.

#17 VATwinsFan

VATwinsFan

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Mauer, c, circa 2009
Puckett, cf, circa 1988
Mack, LF, circa 1992
Oliva, rf, circa 1964
Gaetti, 3b, circa 1986
Davis, DH, circa 1991

Blyleven, sp, circa 1973

Drop Gaetti, move Killebrew to 3b, and put Carew circa 1977 at 1b.

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:15 PM

See GCTF's post. There was much joy and celebration when Ron Davis retired.

lol ...

#19 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

It seems to me that Cal Ripken had a pretty extensive farewell tour.

But so many guys just seem to end up retiring after a season ... not necessarily planned. Like Thome ... I don't think he ever had a farewell tour although he would have seemed to have merited one.

#20 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

But this is Paul Konerko's final season.

I don't think other teams in the league have been giving him a farewell but I would hope that we see one from the Twins later in the season.

They could give him a big thorn ... cuz Paulie has definitely been one in the side of the Twins.

#21 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Yes, it does seem early, but technically it's not. Hurricane season is considered to be between June 1 and November 30. So, they pack up and move for a storm that may hit every other year. Yes, it's a big storm ... but pack up and move to a place that has tornadoes and floods and blizzards? Seems like a lot to do to trade one natural disaster for another.

We surfed hurricane Gloria in Sept of 85. The cops were angry, but not enough to come out and get us.

#22 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Should we start a drinking game today? So far Bert called Ellsbury Girardi and Dick called Dozier Jeter. Let's see if anyone can stay sober based on errors by these guys

#23 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

Should we start a drinking game today? So far Bert called Ellsbury Girardi and Dick called Dozier Jeter. Let's see if anyone can stay sober based on errors by these guys

Heh ... I'm already out ... I'm a lightweight drinker :)

#24 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

I don't think I'm sober yet from last night.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Drop Gaetti, move Killebrew to 3b, and put Carew circa 1977 at 1b.

I was trying to be realistic.

#26 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Hey ChiTown .... interesting story on farewell tours. I didn't even remember the Chipper Jones one (not surprisingly).

http://bleacherrepor...be-an-mlb-trend

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

We surfed hurricane Gloria in Sept of 85.

I roller skated in a buffalo herd in the 70's. Also a bad idea.

#28 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

Hey ChiTown .... interesting story on farewell tours. I didn't even remember the Chipper Jones one (not surprisingly).

http://bleacherrepor...be-an-mlb-trend

So it is a fairly recent 'thing.' I especially like this quote ... heh ... re farewell tours ... "the whole thing evokes this creepy feeling that the phenomenon might become a ritual: The annual Diet Pepsi/Doritos Farewell Tour."

#29 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

I roller skated in a buffalo herd in the 70's. Also a bad idea.

Pictures and/or video would be appreciated. I'd even pay to see that one.

#30 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

Ripken did have one (and got some fairly nice foundation donations):

http://www.baltimore...55645.htmlstory

But the deluge of the last 3 years is pretty rare. Like I say, I could have seen one for Thome even though he spent time w/different teams at the end.

I think the league would have liked to honor him that way but I also think he's the type who wouldn't have wanted the pomp and circumstance.