Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: We're Going Streaking With Chris Parmelee

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Chris-Parmelee

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

The question is if he can sustain this. I hope he can. Some mechanical adjustments to that swing would help him with pitches up in the zone it looks like. When the league adjusts to him we will just have to see if he adjusts back.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:09 AM

When he's on, he's a middle order bat... when he's not... well, you don't want him in the 9 spot. Hopefully he can figure out a way to minimize his weaknesses more... even the ability to foul off those high strikes would increase his likeliness of getting that hittable pitch lower in the zone. My biggest complaint is that he is Gardy's refusal to let him work through his slumps. I hope they let him play the rest of the year and allow him to adjust his mechanics a bit. I really do think he could be that other corner outfielder, especially if Hicks fails. His defense is decent in the corner, and I'd think that a Parm, Buxton, Arcia OF in a couple of years would be a nice balance of bat and glove.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

When he's on, he's a middle order bat... when he's not... well, you don't want him in the 9 spot. Hopefully he can figure out a way to minimize his weaknesses more... even the ability to foul off those high strikes would increase his likeliness of getting that hittable pitch lower in the zone. My biggest complaint is that he is Gardy's refusal to let him work through his slumps. I hope they let him play the rest of the year and allow him to adjust his mechanics a bit. I really do think he could be that other corner outfielder, especially if Hicks fails. His defense is decent in the corner, and I'd think that a Parm, Buxton, Arcia OF in a couple of years would be a nice balance of bat and glove.

I think that Plouffe is going to figure in there, as well. What Parmelee has been doing during his hot stretch is swing at strikes and use all fields especially with two strikes. If he can continue to do this, he can at least partly sustain this kind of hitting.

#5 SDFan

SDFan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:19 AM

"he reminds me of a young John Fogerty"

This made me laugh. So I guess I can actually say "lol" here.

#6 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but while he is getting a lot of hits over the last 10 games, they are nearly all singles. Just 1 XBH and 0 walks.
I guess to me, if you get stretches like that from a guy like Danny Santana or Pedro Florimon you take any hits you can get, but for a corner OF/1B type who won't steal any bases, I think I'd like to see some more XBH's, especially during one of his hot streaks.

EDIT: OK, disregard this entire post, apparently I have a blind spot on my bbref lookup skills.
Parm has 4 doubles, that is what I like to see.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 03 July 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#7 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]I hate to be Debbie Downer, but while he is getting a lot of hits over the last 10 games, they are nearly all singles. Just 1 XBH and 0 walks.[/COLOR]

Four doubles: http://www.baseball-...atting_gamelogs

#8 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

"he reminds me of a young John Fogerty"

This made me laugh. So I guess I can actually say "lol" here.

LIMM

(Laugh inside my mind)

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

His past twelve games, which is classic cherry-picking, his BA is .488. Four doubles and a homer fatten up his SLG, and the few walks aren't needed for a towering OBP, giving a stupidly high OPS of 1.170.

Of course, this is built on a BABIP of .613. Also stupidly high. Probably that number will get more intelligent soon. :)

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

EDIT: OK, disregard this entire post, apparently I have a blind spot on my bbref lookup skills.
Parm has 4 doubles, that is what I like to see.

Even with the correct stats, I think your point still has some validity. His recent OPS spike is almost entirely AVG-driven (and specifically BABIP, it was .818 for a week there!).

I was even skeptical of Mauer's hot streak for those reasons, and he's got a much better history as an AVG hitter than Parm.

Even if there's some real improvement here, without some extra OBP or SLG, it's more like improving from ~85 OPS+ to 100 OPS+. If one isn't bringing positional or defensive value to the table, that still clearly profiles as a bench bat (although a bench bat would be a lot better than a AAAA bat!).

#11 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

His numbers this season should be looked at as a whole. Breaking a small sample into splits has no value and at this sample. Measures like OPS have little meaning for the future.

At this sample, you might look at his basic rate numbers.

• His walk rate of 4.3% is very low and low relative to his career rate.
  • His strikeout rate of 24.3% is about his career rate.
  • Fly ball rate is up about 7% to 49.4% and correspondingly ground ball rate is down to 27.2%. Those numbers were about equal at 39% in 2013.

The fly ball/ground ball rates look more like Josh Willingham's profile.

The walk rate suggests he might be more aggressive. That his backed up by his increased swing rate on pitches in the strike zone. As the season progresses, he will not stay successful at that walk rate. He will begin to see fewer pitches in the strike zone and need to adjust.

The Twins need to play him enough this year to determine if he can be useful in a bench or platoon role. A Randy Bush type career is possible.

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

jamshots, blue darters, and humpback singles

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

With such different high/low hitting profiles, would you want to bat Dozier and Parmelee next to each other in the lineup? Would a starting pitcher be more mistake prone in that instance?

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

I think the adjustment to Parmelee will be to throw more pitches out of the zone and see if he chases. He'll need to lay off those pitches and probably start drawing more walks. It seems Parm has made a conscious decision to be more aggressive and right now it is working.

#14 deanlambrecht

deanlambrecht

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]"he reminds me of a young John Fogerty"[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]This made me laugh. So I guess I can actually say "lol" here.[/COLOR]

LIMM

(Laugh inside my mind)

SBAC (slight, but audible chuckle)

#15 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Let's hope the Yankees don't read this!