Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Trade Likelyhoods

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

Ryan's MO is generally to go after younger guys in the lower minors; the potential risk/reward is higher with those players, not to mention that teams seem more willing to part with guys lower in the system. I think he'll do the same this season, as neither Correia nor Willingham have the clout to bring back a talented high minors prospect.

I'd think Hammer could bring back a decent corner OF prospect in AA, but I agree completely on Correia. Target a higher ceiling guy in A ball.

#62 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,085 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

I'd think Hammer could bring back a decent corner OF prospect in AA, but I agree completely on Correia. Target a higher ceiling guy in A ball.

True, Willingham's value is higher than Correia but ultimately, I think that just means Ryan targets a higher quality A/A+ guy instead of going after a middling OF prospect in AA (which is all Willingham will probably net if you're looking at the high minors).

#63 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

The DBack trade will be one of several involving relievers. Returns for relievers are uninspiring. A parallel deal of Twin minor leaguers might be Kvasnicka and Gilbert. While uninspiring, they are valuable to the organization and affiliates and have some upside.

#64 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:10 AM

yeah - better to get a higher upside single-A guy than a AA or even AAA marginal prospect at this point. The Twins are best served stockpiling as much young talent as they can get- if they can swing a deal for a player with better potential but is farther away from the big leagues, they should go for it.