Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Official: Joe Mauer to DL, Colabello back to Twins

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Twins Daily Admin

Twins Daily Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Just announced by the Twins. How has Colabello been doing lately? Parmelee/Colabello platoon at 1B, dare I hope?

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

The Twins announced moments ago that Joe Mauer has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Chris Colabello is back with the Twins.

Mauer has been hitting well of late. He is currently on an 11-game hitting streak during which he is hitting .364/.404/.477 with five doubles and 10 RBI.

Colabello has been hot for the last month in Rochester. After yesterday's 2-home run game, he has hit .318/.392/.561 (.952) with eight doubles, 6 homers and 25 RBI in his last 29 games with the Red Wings.

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

Ugh. Where are the actual prospects? Just not exciting at all.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

*shakes head in disbelief*

This team is so damned unlucky. The moment Mauer gets it going, he goes down.

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Well you could look at it as the moment Colabello gets it going there's a spot open for him!

Not that I look at it that way.

#6 SportsFriendsMN

SportsFriendsMN

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

Now he will for sure finish the season with more RBI than Mauer! http://www.sportsfri...rn-of-mack.html

#7 Nor-CalTwinsfan

Nor-CalTwinsfan

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

So true about th unlucky part. Plus, he mentions been hurting for a few weeks. ugh!!

#8 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

The Twins announced moments ago that Joe Mauer has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and Chris Colabello is back with the Twins.

Mauer has been hitting well of late. He is currently on an 11-game hitting streak during which he is hitting .364/.404/.477 with five doubles and 10 RBI.

Colabello has been hot for the last month in Rochester. After yesterday's 2-home run game, he has hit .318/.392/.561 (.952) with eight doubles, 6 homers and 25 RBI in his last 29 games with the Red Wings.

As long as Gardenhire plays Collabello at first base or DH every day while Joe M is out, there is a legitimate time to feature Collabello as someone that may interest other teams. Perhaps with Joe Mauer out, the Twins get lucky and Collabello finds his stroke back at the plate at the MLB level. Being Collabello is an offensive guy, perhaps if he plays well enough at the plate he will entice another team to give up something of a prospect for him at the deadline. The incentive is there for the player too, if he does well he may get a shot with another team and is not going to be blocked at first base.
This means a player or asset that is not likely part of the Twins long term plans, has an opportunity to showcase his talents to another MLB club that is scouting the Twins. As long as Gardenhire plays this hand correctly and plugs Collabello in at first base or DH we might actually benefit from this. Really I doubt that Morales and Collabello are part of the Twins future as far as long term planning so if both play a lot and play well maybe we garner some decent trade prospects back for them and both those players end up on pennant contending teams.
The key is the manager Gardenhire putting both guy's in spots they can shine so that we get something back for them in trade.

Edited by jaimedude2, 02 July 2014 - 09:41 AM.

#9 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Vargas has been slumping, maybe Colabello can go on a surge again.

I do appreciate the quick DL this time, the oblique is almost always a guaranteed 15 days.

I guess Parms doesn't have to play CF to get in the lineup either.

Edited by TKGuy, 02 July 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

I do appreciate the quick DL this time, the oblique is almost always a guaranteed 15 days.

This. After years of wishy-washy DL actions, this is a welcome sight.

#11 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Agree.

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,354 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

As long as Gardenhire plays Collabello at first base or DH every day while Joe M is out, there is a legitimate time to feature Collabello as someone that may interest other teams. Perhaps with Joe Mauer out, the Twins get lucky and Collabello finds his stroke back at the plate at the MLB level. Being Collabello is an offensive guy, perhaps if he plays well enough at the plate he will entice another team to give up something of a prospect for him at the deadline. The incentive is there for the player too, if he does well he may get a shot with another team and is not going to be blocked at first base.
This means a player or asset that is not likely part of the Twins long term plans, has an opportunity to showcase his talents to another MLB club that is scouting the Twins. As long as Gardenhire plays this hand correctly and plugs Collabello in at first base or DH we might actually benefit from this. Really I doubt that Morales and Collabello are part of the Twins future as far as long term planning so if both play a lot and play well maybe we garner some decent trade prospects back for them and both those players end up on pennant contending teams.
The key is the manager Gardenhire putting both guy's in spots they can shine so that we get something back for them in trade.

What is the difference between Morales and Colabello? One is a major league DH and the other one is a career minor leaguer. I can't see any way that Colabello will make himself a tradable asset in the time Mauer is on the DL. There's a chance he could become a candidate to stay on the team the rest of the year and maybe figure in the plans next year, but no one is going to trade for Colabello with his resumé.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

So do you just dismiss any possible developmental problems by promoting prospects too soon? Does that problem not exist in your mind? Of all the times to complain about prospects not getting brought up, this seems a sheepishly small one.

It was more an indictment of how uninspiring their options are, than of the logic of the move. Is anyone actually excited by this new shiny toy?

The Astros have promoted 4 legit starters to the majors this year, including two that could be star types.....the Twins have new MLBPers, Santana, Pino, and Tonkin this year. Just isn't exciting at all. (not counting Polanco, since that was an emergency, and he's back in A ball, proving they don't think he's close to ready)

Was a general lament, not a specific one.
Lighten up Francis....

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:23 AM

Agreed. It's bad that I'm surprised to hear he went to the DL just one day after an injury.

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,354 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

The Twins could have been like the Astros if Saño and Buxton hadn't been injured, Rosario hadn't been suspended and a couple of veteran pitchers hadn't been signed.

#16 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

The Twins could have been like the Astros if Saño and Buxton hadn't been injured, Rosario hadn't been suspended and a couple of veteran pitchers hadn't been signed.

It has been a bad year for progress, yes. That post is about emotion, not logic......
Lighten up Francis....

#17 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

The moment Mauer gets it going, he goes down.

To be fair, I am not sure Mauer really had it going yet. He had similar streaks earlier this year too that didn't last, and they all seemed to feature too many Ks and not enough BBs and power to be classic, sustainable Mauer.

Not that I wanted to see him out of the lineup now, though!

#18 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

I don't know, according to Pythagorean W/L, the Twins are exactly as lucky as they should be.

Context is important... as a Twins fan, when something like this happens, they appear to be unlucky if you don't also follow all the other teams.

You know who's really unlucky? The Rangers.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

It was more an indictment of how uninspiring their options are, than of the logic of the move. Is anyone actually excited by this new shiny toy?

The Astros have promoted 4 legit starters to the majors this year, including two that could be star types.....the Twins have new MLBPers, Santana, Pino, and Tonkin this year. Just isn't exciting at all. (not counting Polanco, since that was an emergency, and he's back in A ball, proving they don't think he's close to ready)

Was a general lament, not a specific one.

1. It isn't bad to give Colabello a chance to start hitting again. If he does, he is a solid fill-in for the time being.
2. The other options, Vargas and maybe Danny Ortiz (Parm to first, Ortiz to OF), probably were considered, but neither deemed ready.
3. I pretty much always agree with you about prospect movements, but this case is pretty borderline, and maybe Colabello hits and generates some trade interest. Or he hits and the Twins feel comfortable keeping him around and trading Parmelee a bit later.
4. Unexciting promotions to MLB, yes . . . mainly because of injury though (Sano, Buxton, May) or up and down performance (Meyer). And Polanco should be headed to AA quite soon.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,940 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

I don't know, according to Pythagorean W/L, the Twins are exactly as lucky as they should be.

Context is important... as a Twins fan, when something like this happens, they appear to be unlucky if you don't also follow all the other teams.

You know who's really unlucky? The Rangers.

Buxton. Sano. I'm not only talking about the MLB team. The organization has had a pretty unlucky year.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,438 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

Right, I think I tried to say that.....there just are no good options, and it is lacking in excitement. Not "they should have done this instead", more "sigh, this is the best option still, no progress on anyone being ready for the MLB roster, 3.5 years into being awful".......*

Like I said, an emotional response to a perfectly logical move.

*and I also acknowledged that it was not good luck that Sano, buxton, Rosario had their issues.....
Lighten up Francis....

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,234 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

Right, I think I tried to say that.....there just are no good options, and it is lacking in excitement. Not "they should have done this instead", more "sigh, this is the best option still, no progress on anyone being ready for the MLB roster, 3.5 years into being awful".......*

Like I said, an emotional response to a perfectly logical move.

*and I also acknowledged that it was not good luck that Sano, buxton, Rosario had their issues.....

I think most people can sympathize with that, it's part of why we can't bristle so easy at disappointment. Sometimes the team can do things right and still leave us feeling exasperated about the progress of the organization.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

Also, we seem to take good luck for granted a bit. Hughes is still outperforming his career starter ERA+ by 22 points. Gibson's been good. The luck is definitely a bit thinner on the offensive side of the equation, but some of that screams front office misjudgment more than bad luck (Florimon, Hicks, Kubel), and there is still Suzuki, Santana, and Escobar all out-performing reasonable projections thus far.

We still probably lean to the unlucky side of the fence, though, particularly with the Buxton/Sano injuries, and definitely if you think Mauer's current struggles stem from his concussion. (Add Morneau's concussion and we seem even more unlucky from a historical perspective, although by the same token we led a pretty charmed life from 2001-2010.)

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

How did Mauer hurt his oblique?

#25 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

They're carrying 13 pitchers so they had to do something. Personally I would have released Guerrier on the off chance Mauer is good to go in 5-7 days.

#26 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

How did Mauer hurt his oblique?

He said that it had been a little sore (but was actually feeling better) and he just took it the usual aches and pain - but the cross over from ache to injury came from the swing of the bat when he hit the double.

They are probably completely unrelated in this case, but I always wonder how much over-compensation when dealing playing with an earlier injury (such as a back) leads to a later injury (such as an oblique).

I always wondered when he played through that bruised heel in 2010, if over-compensation from that led to the knee problems at the end of the season - which led to the 2011 issues. In both cases, I wonder if a DL stint at the first injury would have helped prevent problems later. Maybe not - just some wondering thoughts at lunch - i suppose I should try to be a productive employee now.

#27 BMCACCAL

BMCACCAL

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

I agree. This is a logical response. You've got to decide who you want and can keep going forward out of Morales, Willingham, Parmalee and Plouffe. Colabello is part of that equation; you need to find out if he can be a regular or stop gap OF, 1B, or DH. If he can be, a trade of one or more of the other 4 becomes more likely. Morales, Parmalee, Plouffe and Colabello need to play most every day until the trading deadline (you already know what you have in Willingham) so you can decide whether to keep them because they'll be part of the short or long term future (Parmalee or Colabello - nobody will give you much for either one) and/or showcase them for trades (and in Morales' case, find out if you can re-sign him). This team isn't going anywhere this year so use this month to make decisions on veterans and evaluate Arcia, Nunez, Escobar and Santana when he comes back, and use August and September to evaluate Pinto and maybe Polanco and Vargas once you clear out some dead weight. Same thing on the pitching -evaluate Correia and Deduno as starters now and use August and September for evaluating some combination of May, Johnson, Meyer and Darnell (Pino isn't going to make it). They key is to actually make the evaluations and ACT - trade or release the veterans that aren't part of the plan for next year and get up the young guys to see if they can be.

#28 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

He said that it had been a little sore (but was actually feeling better) and he just took it the usual aches and pain - but the cross over from ache to injury came from the swing of the bat when he hit the double.

They are probably completely unrelated in this case, but I always wonder how much over-compensation when dealing playing with an earlier injury (such as a back) leads to a later injury (such as an oblique).

I always wondered when he played through that bruised heel in 2010, if over-compensation from that led to the knee problems at the end of the season - which led to the 2011 issues. In both cases, I wonder if a DL stint at the first injury would have helped prevent problems later. Maybe not - just some wondering thoughts at lunch - i suppose I should try to be a productive employee now.

Ok thanks.

Joe speaks for himself obviously, but I'd bet a majority of players are feeling sore or achy by this point in the season.

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

Ok thanks.

Joe speaks for himself obviously, but I'd bet a majority of players are feeling sore or achy by this point in the season.

Well, apparently it was sore but not anything really to worry about:

But then when he hit that double last night:

[/list]

And to top it off:

#30 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 02:03 PM

And get this - I could hardly believe it today when Dick Bremer stated that the two Chris's (Colabello and Parmelee) are two of the most interesting stories on the Twins in a long, long time. Or did I dream that one liner from a broadcaster who has been around now for a good long while and should know better than to spread pap like that around. A simply incredulous statement I'd say, trust other listeners will agree. Sure I realize the broadcasters have to sell the product but cannot they be a little more intelligent and resourceful about it all? I do not think that is too much to ask, do any of the rest of you think so also?