Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Could Kennys Vargas Be the Next Callup?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:18 AM

Phil Miller speculates that Mauer will be put on the DL today and wonders who will take his place. He said it could be an outfielder, mentioning an injured Max Kepler, Chris Colabello, who's been better of late, a hobbled Chris Herrmann and Aaron Hicks (batting .190 at NB). He then wonders if slugger Kennys Vargas could be brought up for a trial, on the heels of the Polanco recall.

I'd give it a shot and if he does well, we'd be able to trade Kendrys at the trade deadline.

#2 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

Phil Miller speculates that Mauer will be put on the DL today and wonders who will take his place. He said it could be an outfielder, mentioning an injured Max Kepler, Chris Colabello, who's been better of late, a hobbled Chris Herrmann and Aaron Hicks (batting .190 at NB). He then wonders if slugger Kennys Vargas could be brought up for a trial, on the heels of the Polanco recall.

I'd give it a shot and if he does well, we'd be able to trade Kendrys at the trade deadline.

When I was watching the game last night and they announced what Mauer's injury was, I knew right away he was going on the disabled list. My first thought to replace him was Vargas. Morales and Vargas can share 1B/DH. Why not? Colabello is a good story, but he's not a part of the Twins' future. Vargas definitely has the potential to be a big part of the future. With his numbers this year, he's definitely earned it.

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,287 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

Vargas has hit a rough patch in NB. Also, he is in the Futures Game. I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if it happened. I noted Nolan Reimold as a possibility for the Twins, with Parmelee becoming the primary first baseman for the duration of the Mauer injury. I think that makes the most sense.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Vargas has hit a rough patch in NB. Also, he is in the Futures Game. I don't see it happening, but I wouldn't be opposed to it if it happened. I noted Nolan Reimold as a possibility for the Twins, with Parmelee becoming the primary first baseman for the duration of the Mauer injury. I think that makes the most sense.

I thought Parmelee was the new centerfielder.

#5 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

If I'm going off the 40-man (likely designating Florimon), I wouldn't go with Reimold, he's having a terrible year - there's a reason the Orioles DFA'd him. I would consider bringing up Wilkin Ramierez, at least he has CF experience. I would also consider Daniel Ortiz, although he looks a little overmatched so far at AAA.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,287 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

If I'm going off the 40-man (likely designating Florimon), I wouldn't go with Reimold, he's having a terrible year - there's a reason the Orioles DFA'd him. I would consider bringing up Wilkin Ramierez, at least he has CF experience. I would also consider Daniel Ortiz, although he looks a little overmatched so far at AAA.

Reimold hasn't played in the majors this year. How can he be having a terrible year? He's had a bad run of injuries and he will probably never be a great player, but he isn't a career minor leaguer like Ramirez. IMHO, Fuld and Santana are the Twins' center fielders the rest of the year. That isn't good, by any means, but stopgaps like Parmelee or Ramirez (who both aren't really CFs) does nothing to solve the problem. My best hope for something out of center field for the remainder of the year is Rosario and he's also struggled recently at NB, although he homered last night.

#7 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 604 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:31 AM

Reimold hasn't played in the majors this year. How can he be having a terrible year? He's had a bad run of injuries and he will probably never be a great player, but he isn't a career minor leaguer like Ramirez. IMHO, Fuld and Santana are the Twins' center fielders the rest of the year. That isn't good, by any means, but stopgaps like Parmelee or Ramirez (who both aren't really CFs) does nothing to solve the problem. My best hope for something out of center field for the remainder of the year is Rosario and he's also struggled recently at NB, although he homered last night.

Sorry, I was looking at last year's stats. I'd have no problem adding Rosario. He certainly couldn't hit worse than Hicks, could play CF and could spell Dozier at 2B as well. I like that idea. Then when Santana is ready to come back, you start him at SS.

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I'm guessing Parm slides over there and they call up whatever guy fits their greatest need. Knowing Gardy, it will be a relief pitcher.

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,882 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

Edited by JB_Iowa, 02 July 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,287 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yeaa. More Chris Colabello. Sorry, I can't get excited for more Cola. It is bad enough to watch him hit, but Gardy seems to find a way to put him in the outfield and that really hurts the eyes.

#11 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Yeah I guess Chris makes sense. He was hot early in the year and this is likely his make or break season for the Twins as the young guys are coming.

I am a huge CC fan but am starting to fall in line with the play the young guys crowd. If we don't get them experience this year then we have to wait for them to develop next year. I would like to see this team grow with younger players leading the way as soon as possible.

#12 Beezer07

Beezer07

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

I sure hope the Twins aren't making trade decisions/determinations on whether a decent prospect has a good 3 weeks in the majors...

#13 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

Perhaps Cola getting his shot back in the majors will at least earn Vargas a promotion to Rochester

#14 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

Vargas would only come up in a similar emergency situation as Polanco did; if he keeps hitting, we might see him in September. Vargas lack of position flexible certainly hurts his ability to be a early call up, as he has literally no defensive value.