Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

UZR vs Positioning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

How does UZR take into account superior defensive positioning?

Ibanez's catch of Escobar's potential double, in the 6th inning, made me think about this. Dick was saying what a good catch it was for a 42yo. And it was certainly out of his "zone," but the catch was 100% due to good positioning. So does Ibanez get credit for a "out of zone" catch or does UZR account for this?

#2 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

From what I remember, UZR uses a very, very simplistic method of accounting for shifts. If the defense is deemed to be in a shift, the play is ignored (or something like that). When deemed not to be in a shift, defenders assumed to be in standard/typical defensive zone.

#3 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,416 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

How does UZR take into account superior defensive positioning?

Ibanez's catch of Escobar's potential double, in the 6th inning, made me think about this. Dick was saying what a good catch it was for a 42yo. And it was certainly out of his "zone," but the catch was 100% due to good positioning. So does Ibanez get credit for a "out of zone" catch or does UZR account for this?

He gets credit for a catch made in a zone that doesn't see a lot of catches and because many balls are simple routine catches and the weighting involved on those that are not. His UZR will become untrustworthy like almost everybody else's.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".