Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Waiver wire opportunity missed?

sarcasm
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

I see on MLB Trade Rumors that Brad Eldred was demoted by Detroit to Toledo. Did the Twins not have a chance to grab him on the waiver wire? Seems like an opportunity to snare another prospect from this divisional rival has been missed. Eldred can play first base and a little right field, and at only 31 he is just entering his prime. He hardly ever strikes out, whiffing in only 25% of his plate appearances, a mere half of Clete Thomas's rate. Terry Ryan's gotta pull the trigger when a chance like this arises.

#2 Gernzy

Gernzy

• Members
  • 435 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

We had a chance to get him but decided to pass.
I bent my wookie...

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

at only 31 he is just entering his prime

As a matter of fact, he is exiting his prime. Was never a prospect and at 300 PAs in the majors he has been hitting at the Mendoza line. Can hit mistake pitches out of the park in AA and AAA but MLB pitchers have fooled him and made him strike out in about 40% of his PAs (heck, that's his MiLB K rate too :) ). The Twins just got a similar player but 26 years old (Matt Rizzotti) in AAA.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 @_2244

@_2244

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Do you really want the Twins to be going after 30-something journeymen from other teams scrap heaps at this point?

I don't.

#5 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 982 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Is he any better than Aaron Bates? Is it worthwhile to have him tke playing time from Parmelee. If Morneau and Doumit play 1st (and Mauer) then the Twins end of waivering him. 1st asemen, at least journeymen, are not hard-to-find at the moment.

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I see on MLB Trade Rumors that Brad Eldred was demoted by Detroit to Toledo. Did the Twins not have a chance to grab him on the waiver wire? Seems like an opportunity to snare another prospect from this divisional rival has been missed. Eldred can play first base and a little right field, and at only 31 he is just entering his prime. He hardly ever strikes out, whiffing in only 25% of his plate appearances, a mere half of Clete Thomas's rate. Terry Ryan's gotta pull the trigger when a chance like this arises.

A 31 year old "prospect"? Entering his prime? Half of Clete Thomas is still not good.

#7 bteichr

bteichr

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I smell sarcasm.

#8 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

The difference between satire and sarcasm is the difference between surgery and butchery. — Edward Nichols

My folks always hoped I'd be a surgeon.

Do you have your own shop or do you work in the meat department of a major chain grocer?

#9 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

Do you have your own shop or do you work in the meat department of a major chain grocer?

Nifty example of sarcasm. Thanks.

I found it more satirical.

#10 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Abreu bats .300 for Doyers!

#11 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Seems like an opportunity to snare another prospect from this divisional rival has been missed.

He's not really a prospect when he's 31 years old.

He hardly ever strikes out, whiffing in only 25% of his plate appearances, a mere half of Clete Thomas's rate.

That's still a high strikeout percentage in my book. Miguel Sano strikes out in 27% of his PAs and it's considered one of his biggest problems.

#12 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

I smell sarcasm.

Yeah, funny how many people missed it.

#13 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Good Job Ashbury John. Maybe you should pitch for the Twins. I have never seen so many swings and misses to a thread before.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

It was a beauty, I feel shame.

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,860 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:31 PM

I gotta agree with Ashbury John. I don't call him "in his prime" anymore and the guy does strike out a lot but so does Adam Dunn. This guy is a long ball hitter and been a consistent power hitter in the minors for awhile. Send Parmelee down and give Eldred a try. See what happens. You can always cut him if it doesn't work out. I'd like to see him get a good MLB run to prove himslef or the opposite of prove himself.