Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Roster Moves coming...

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

If they would just DFA Floriman, and add another MI to the 40 man, they'd have the ability to send that player up and down.....I'd think. Right now, they seem paralyzed with fear of losing one of the worst players in MLB (which I find funny, in an odd way). When people say it doesn't matter who is on the 40 man.....this is the kind of thing that makes it matter, roster flexibility. They don't have that enough right now. Too many guys w/o a real future on the 40 man, and too many RP and MI without options available to be sent up and down. I hope that this problem begins to fix itself soon, once they realize they are out of it this year and start dealing/cutting guys in the last year of their deals. (not holding my breath on that.....)

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#22 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

I believe Florimon is gone. Hope Polanco gets sent to New Britian as he deserves this promotion. You handle the rest internally, do not worry about organizational filler.

#23 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

Polanco clearly showed that he deserves the promotion when he goes back down he should be in NB. Has Rosario been playing 2nd base? If so it would be good to get him and Polanco playing together to develop as a double play combo.

#24 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard']I think before the weekend it looked like an easy choice to send Florimon and Polanco down when Nunez and Plouffe were ready to return.

But now that it's Monday and those guys are eligible to return, there still hasn't been any moves announced. It sounds like Polanco and Florimon both took the flight with the team to the Cities.

Cut back from 13 to 12 pitchers but whether they do it or not is a different story. As much as the pitching has struggled it is the offense and the inability to get a clutch hit that has been the struggle. I would cut Guerrier and out right him off the 40 man roster, he is 35 and doesn't really have a role on this present Twins team. He is not a strike out guy and he really isn't a situational or long man reliever either so his role is really diminished on what he can contribute in my opinion. Gardy may like him and trust him based on the past but his present pitching doesn't really add up to anything that can help this Twins team win.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,762 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Polanco has been promising but proven nothing IMHO. His full body of work is more telling than a handful of major league at-bats.

#26 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Didn't Polanco NOT cover 2nd base on a routine play? Doesn't that show he needs to work on the basics of shortstop defense? He needs more instruction and time in the minors. The major league roster is NOT the place for learning basic defense. He may certainly have a future with the major league club, but the future is not now.

#27 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,358 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm not sure about the order but Florimon needs to go down for performance reasons and Polanco needs to go down for development reasons.

When Plouffe comes off... Whoever stays up until Nunez is back... will be insurance and not starting. So it doesn't matter to me who goes down first. We are talking about a short stay.

CF continues to be a problem area. If Polanco could play there in a pinch... I think today we should send down Mr. Florimon first.

But eventually they should both go down. Polanco in NB makes sense to me.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#28 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,810 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:51 AM

Big fan of your plan, Jeremy.

Me too, there are relief pitchers Id like to see gone more, but it's not realistic to think the Twins will DFA anyone. Frankly, the just don't do it. Pino has been a fine stop gap, but hasn't made the case that he's a better alternative to Darnell. Maybe Polanco makes case this week to be the starting short stop... Wouldn't that be a great problem to have?

#29 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

Kris Johnson deserves a start....Florimon needs to be released. Burton might be the odd man out of a 13 man pitching staff

I was hoping for a little context to the Johnson piece. Are you factoring age or wait into that? Outside of ERA, the k's, FIP, BB, and WHIP favor May.

#30 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,810 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:57 AM

I'm not sure about the order but Florimon needs to go down for performance reasons and Polanco needs to go down for development reasons.

When Plouffe comes off... Whoever stays up until Nunez is back... will be insurance and not starting. So it doesn't matter to me who goes down first. We are talking about a short stay.

CF continues to be a problem area. If Polanco could play there in a pinch... I think today we should send down Mr. Florimon first.

But eventually they should both go down. Polanco in NB makes sense to me.

If Polanco is going to sit the bench, then agreed, he needs to play and a promo to AA seems in order.

#31 Sconnie

Sconnie

Tatertots R good

• Members
  • 1,810 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

I was hoping for a little context to the Johnson piece. Are you factoring age or wait into that? Outside of ERA, the k's, FIP, BB, and WHIP favor May.

May is on the DL

#32 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Didn't Polanco NOT cover 2nd base on a routine play?

This might be splitting hairs, but: I believe the issue was that he didn't force the runner back towards first during the rundown. He should have run the runner back towards the bag, but instead made an immediate throw to Dozier - which resulted in the rundown collapsing. In the end, your premise is still valid though. He's a bit rough around the edges and could use a little more practice in the lower levels.

#33 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Didn't Polanco NOT cover 2nd base on a routine play? Doesn't that show he needs to work on the basics of shortstop defense? He needs more instruction and time in the minors. The major league roster is NOT the place for learning basic defense. He may certainly have a future with the major league club, but the future is not now.

I thought I remember thinking this too...but maybe not? Do you recall which play?

I know in the rundown that caught Adrian Beltre off of 1st...but that was Esocar or the Pitcher not coming in behind him at 2nd. Not a great throw and he needed to run Beltre down a little closer to 1st...but nonetheless, would have been fine if someone had been backing him up at 2nd base.

#34 LewFordLives

LewFordLives

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Is there any chance Arcia gets sent to Rochester? He's a complete mess at the plate. I don't know that running him out there night after night is the best thing for him or the organization.

#35 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,420 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:30 AM

May is on the DL

Since I saw the comment on the first page, I thought it was made before May was announced on the DL. As my grandma used to say, I stand corrected.

#36 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

May is on the DL

[FONT=Verdana]

Since I saw the comment on the first page, I thought it was made before May was announced on the DL. As my grandma used to say, I stand corrected.

[/FONT]

Only until July 3. They could send Pino down tonight and call him up for Saturday's game

#37 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Is there any chance Arcia gets sent to Rochester? He's a complete mess at the plate. I don't know that running him out there night after night is the best thing for him or the organization.

Replaced by whom?

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 5,258 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

Replaced by whom?

Well Florimon of course.

#39 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

Replaced by whom?

As long as they're calling up young guys, how about Kepler?
Just kidding.

If Arcia goes to AAA, the "outfielder" coming back up would have to be Herrmann/Colabello or Hicks, who's actually an outfielder, but probably least likely to be called back up now of those three.

#40 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:00 PM

DFA Florimon and put one of the other MI guys on the 40 man.