Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Kernels Nuggets: Thorpe Notches First MWL Win

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...e-Wins-for-Game

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

Based off stat lines alone I would say Thorpes been pitching tentatively. Too many walks for the kid.
Great Updates
Any update on Rosario & Landa?

#3 MWLFan

MWLFan

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Was there last night and Thorpe looked good. A lot of ground balls and he was really changing speeds with fastballs in the low 90's and the his off speed stuff dropping to the low 70's. For the most part the Clinton hitters were kept guessing and off balance. As Seth pointed out his one bad inning was really extended by a wicked bad hop that was right at Altobelli for a easy out and took a bounce a good 7 feet over his head. Shame as it would have got Thorpe out of the inning with minimal damage. If you have not gotten to Cedar Rapids to catch a game you should go! Great stadium, good food, my 15 year old loves the 1 pound hamburger piled high and our gluten free friends were impressed with the selections they had, also a really nice beer selection and not a bad seat in the house for really good prices. We had seven seats behind home plate for 10 each under the over hang. Gotta love minor league ball.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

No new updates. Randy Rosario had Tommy John surgery a month or more ago. Yorman Lands had shoulder surgery last week.

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Was there last night and Thorpe looked good. A lot of ground balls and he was really changing speeds with fastballs in the low 90's and the his off speed stuff dropping to the low 70's. For the most part the Clinton hitters were kept guessing and off balance. As Seth pointed out his one bad inning was really extended by a wicked bad hop that was right at Altobelli for a easy out and took a bounce a good 7 feet over his head. Shame as it would have got Thorpe out of the inning with minimal damage. If you have not gotten to Cedar Rapids to catch a game you should go! Great stadium, good food, my 15 year old loves the 1 pound hamburger piled high and our gluten free friends were impressed with the selections they had, also a really nice beer selection and not a bad seat in the house for really good prices. We had seven seats behind home plate for 10 each under the over hang. Gotta love minor league ball.

I have 3 seats behind the plate tonight. I can't wait to see their game. I've only heard good things about the field.

That would be pretty neat if I got to see Burdi pitch tonight!
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Really nice to see some positive comments about your experiences in CR. Obviously, I'm pretty biased, but I think GM Doug Nelson and his crew do an outstanding job providing a fan-friendly experience.

Food suggestion: A few weeks ago they opened up a food stand down the 1B line on the concourse called the Dugout. It features made to order food, including one of the best grilled tenderloins that I've had anywhere.

Not working the game tonight for MSR, which means I don't have to wait until I get a story posted before my first beer.

Also looking forward to seeing Burdi for the first time. Well, first time seeing him pitch anyway... I did buy his Autism Awareness jersey Friday night and met him after the game to have him sign it (Also came away with JD Williams' jersey).

Now we just need to keep the rain away.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 Twins Daily Admin

Twins Daily Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 202 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:36 PM

I'm bummed I didn't make it down there with you guys. Sounds awesome.

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Really nice to see some positive comments about your experiences in CR. Obviously, I'm pretty biased, but I think GM Doug Nelson and his crew do an outstanding job providing a fan-friendly experience.

Food suggestion: A few weeks ago they opened up a food stand down the 1B line on the concourse called the Dugout. It features made to order food, including one of the best grilled tenderloins that I've had anywhere.

Not working the game tonight for MSR, which means I don't have to wait until I get a story posted before my first beer.

Also looking forward to seeing Burdi for the first time. Well, first time seeing him pitch anyway... I did buy his Autism Awareness jersey Friday night and met him after the game to have him sign it (Also came away with JD Williams' jersey).

Now we just need to keep the rain away.

Man SD, you wet my appetite for Kernels baseball as well as ballpark food!

How far away is Omaha anyway? I should have made it last season, but even with this being a bit of a down season, there is still good baseball, good prospects to watch, and good experiences to be had. I should try to plan a trip this summer with my father for some Kernels baseball.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,980 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:36 PM

Man SD, you wet my appetite for Kernels baseball as well as ballpark food!

How far away is Omaha anyway? I should have made it last season, but even with this being a bit of a down season, there is still good baseball, good prospects to watch, and good experiences to be had. I should try to plan a trip this summer with my father for some Kernels baseball.

Omaha can't be more than about 3 hours, right? That's less than the cities, right? And, I know that it is less than the 12 or so hours I have ahead of me the next couple of days... but I will say that it's just great to see these guys play and start developing your own opinions.

#10 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

No new updates. Randy Rosario had Tommy John surgery a month or more ago. Yorman Lands had shoulder surgery last week.

!!!!
Those are updates for me. Ive been in and out of the internet of late. Yikes.
thanks I guess....

#11 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Omaha can't be more than about 3 hours, right? That's less than the cities, right? And, I know that it is less than the 12 or so hours I have ahead of me the next couple of days... but I will say that it's just great to see these guys play and start developing your own opinions.

Omaha is actually more like 4 hours from Cedar Rapids - maybe half an hour closer than the Twin Cities - but it's all interstate highway so it's an easy drive as long as you don't hit Des Moines at the wrong time.

But yes, Doc, I think you'd find it worth the trip a time or two each year. Just don't bring all the dang rain with you when you come, like Seth did!

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~