I'm getting my thoughts out early today so I can concentrate on the USA/Germany and Portugal/Ghana. ChiTown is going to post the lineups right here.
Things to Think About:
1. Timing -- The course of a season can be determined by who and when you play them. Sometimes we tend to focus on the team we cheer for and forget about the opponent. This is mistake because both teams are trying to win baseball games and sometimes it isn't what the Twins do wrong but what the other team is doing right. Ask yourself if the Twins were just hot when they swept 4 games from the White Sox or if the Twins were cold as the Angels knocked the ball around the park these last two games. The Angels have won 5 games in a row... It's just not a good time to be playing the Angels. Sometimes... you have to step back and factor in the opponent. If the Angels are hitting... It doesn't mean our pitching sucks. Or if we are hitting it doesn't always mean that we are great. Baseball just isn't that simple.
2. Jered Weaver -- The Angels have Southern California guys all over their rotation. The Weaver clan is from Northridge in the San Fernando Valley. The San Fernando valley is like a giant hole in the mountains. Kind of like Melissa McCarthy fell over and created the valley. If those mountains surrounding the valley ever decided to work together and move inward at the same time... The Carnage would be horrible and CNN would certainly cover the event and Fox News would blame Obama. The first thing the mountains would need to do is shed all roads. This would force people to escape on foot and it would cause a bottleneck around Burbank. Or the mountains could close that gap in the Burbank area and then fill the entire valley with Hot Lava like a soup bowl. That should take care of all the Valley residents quickly. Totally... Like... Whatever... As If. Glunn should be safe in Beverly Hills but he will probably be able to hear the screams. What were we talking about? Oh Yeah... Jered Weaver... He's pretty good but as a Baseball Coach I would never let a young kid watch him pitch. Mechanically he just does it wrong. His Strike Foot consistently lands to the right side of the rubber and this forces him to throw across his body every time. Don't get me wrong... it creates a different angle for batters to look at and this makes him somewhat difficult but it's also a reason why his fastball lacks zip. He owns a cross body no hitter against the Twins. Lets hope the Twins get at least one hit today.
3. Depth -- This should really be thought #1 today... With all of the concern expressed by Gardenhire over not having a backup catcher at times. Unless I'm missing someone... No one has been flown to Anaheim to serve as a backup at 2B, 3B, SS and CF. I'm pretty sure that Fuld, Dozier, Escobar and Florimon will be in the lineup today because they have nobody else. With an injury to any of those 4 players today. The Twins will have to throw someone at 3B with absolutely no 3B experience... Mauer or Fryer or Hammer. If Fuld gets hurt... Parmelee in CF. I don't blame the Twins front office for lacking IF depth today. Everybody got hurt at once and the Twins have done quite a bit to supply IF depth this year... Although... I'm not sure why someone wasn't placed in an airplane last night when Santana came off the field. I do continue to point fingers at the Twins for the lack of organizational depth at CF.
4. Why Not Us -- This was a front office statement after signing Kendrys Morales... I agree and I say it all the time... Why not Us??? However... Let's get it going... The Tigers have won 6 in a row and the Twins are currently 7 games back and 4.5 back from the last wildcard spot. The Twins need to get it going and it will be helpful to get some players back from the DL and get out of L.A.
5. Marriage -- I work with someone who has been dating this girl for a little less than a year. She stopped by work this morning and I chatted with both of them for a bit. During the course of the small talk... The subject of marriage came up and I mentioned that I will have been married for 24 years next month. She looked at her boyfriend and said "I'm hoping to get married one day". He replied... "You're terrific... You are going to make a great wife... I hope you meet someone wonderful". I laughed out loud and she punched him.
Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 26 June 2014 - 12:18 PM.