Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Leader Board (Pitchers)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...oard-(Pitchers)

#2 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Fangraphs has BB%, K%, K%-BB%, and BABIP readily accessible.

#3 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I was just glancing through his Adopt-a-Prospect writeup since I'm not familiar with him, but Brandon Peterson is having quite a season. He seems like another one of our now numerous hard-throwing closer types. How does he rate compared to some of the better-known guys like a Tonkin or Zach Jones as far as future potential?

#4 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Seth. Lots of fun to read these first half summaries. They should result in second half promotions for some.

#5 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

I was just glancing through his Adopt-a-Prospect writeup since I'm not familiar with him, but Brandon Peterson is having quite a season. He seems like another one of our now numerous hard-throwing closer types. How does he rate compared to some of the better-known guys like a Tonkin or Zach Jones as far as future potential?

I'm really not informed on how to project prospects, but since Peterson is my AaP, I thought I'd give my two cents.

A couple weeks back, I wondered how he compares to other recent relief prospects, and in researching the stats, there are a lot of similarities to Tonkin. They're different builds in that Tonkin has a few inches of height on him, but their peripheral stats have some similarities at similar levels/ages. Tonkin joined the Twins organization out of HS, and Peterson out of college, but they both split time at A/A+ during their age 22 season.

Both players seem to have (IMO) high BABIP in their age 22 season (.321 for Tonkin, .333 for Peterson), but Peterson has benefited from putting up a goose egg in the HR column.

I also haven't seen any of his games, so I don't know if there's anything else to his arsenal besides a low to mid-90s FB and a nice slider.

#6 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:35 PM

Throwing in my two cents since Brett Lee is my AAP...Brett has been on the DL the month of June so he doesn't make Seth's list (he has 46.2IP). He has an ERA of 2.62, a WHIP of 1.22 and BB/9 of 1.8. His strike outs are down. The other three make Seth's cut-off. That tells me that the Twins have a few more prospects that missed Seth's list cause of injury or just being below cutoff points. That's not to mention guys like Gonsalves who will get chance in second half.

This is best Twins minor league pitching prospects have looked in years--IMHO.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,490 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

I talked to Brett a couple days ago and he says he's targeting a July 10 return to the Miracle. May be be a couple of rehab appearances with the GCL.

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

Not a negative to players in the lower minors, but so encouraging to see how many of these names are at AAA. And a couple just below at AA.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Pitching is a strength in this organization all of the sudden, but they need to trim the tree from the top, to be effective