Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Burdi's Arrival, A Month of Kernels' Silver Linings

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:33 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...nels-Nick-Burdi

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

I'd hate to pile onto your club's woes, but I really hope Burdi doesn't stay there long. Perhaps only a handful of outings before heading off to Ft. Myers.

Though hopefully the Kernals would get Gonsalves or even Cederoth before too long.

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:13 AM

I suspect this is a place where Twins brass can see where Burdi measures up. Is he challenged or immediately dominant? The answer will determine when he moves up.

I also suspect Van Steensel is nearing the point where he'll be considered for promotion. Just depends on what the bullpen situation in Ft Myers is, I guess.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

I think expectations locally were such that everybody knew it would not be a line up that measured up to last year's, but yes, it's been a letdown to this point.

I do think there is more talent in CR than what they've shown. The starting pitching, outside of Stewart, was simply expected to be much better than it has been. I'm not sure there's a lot of help in that area still to be had outside of perhaps Gonsalves. By and large, the guys here now are going to have to simply pitch better.

Not sure on Williams. He got off to a hot start his first couple games and then faltered.

I'll be surprised if we see Gordon this year. More likely he starts in CR next year, as Buxton did. Then again, he's starting a level higher than Buck did, so who knows?

I do know the Twins like Engelb Vielma, the current CR shortstop, and I imagine they want him to get regular ABs.

I know it's too soon, but I'll ask anyway, with Gordon in the pipeline, does Engleb look like a future utility type, or do the Twins run both of these guys at SS up the organization simultaneously at the same level? What would it take for Vielma to force Polanco back to long-term at 2nd Base?

#5 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

I know it's too soon, but I'll ask anyway, with Gordon in the pipeline, does Engleb look like a future utility type, or do the Twins run both of these guys at SS up the organization simultaneously at the same level? What would it take for Vielma to force Polanco back to long-term at 2nd Base?

I'd hope Polanco's development or position is impacted not at all by Vielma. Few things bother me as much as the notion that no-hit shortstops are an acceptable lineup option, especially when they are a no-hit shortstop in A ball.

#6 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

I'm a bit disappointed Burdi was sent to CR, but as you say, I don't expect he'll be there long if he shows dominance right out of the gate.

I'd hope they would take the same approach at Fort Myers with him as well.

#7 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Disappointed? Burdi's starting out at a higher level than anyone else the Twins drafted.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

Some probably want him going straight to the Twins. I'm with SDBuhr on this one. It'll be a good gauge. It's already been a long season. Remember they start practicing right after January begins in college and games start in mid-February. I think slow-and-steady is the appropriate timeline for the rest of this season.

#9 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Disappointed? Burdi's starting out at a higher level than anyone else the Twins drafted.

This year sure. But I consider Burdi to be a different type of prospect, and should be treated as such. He's a pure reliever, and has big-league stuff right now.

(for reference about starting at a certain level) Alex Wimmers was a starter, and also thought to be the most MLB ready in that draft, and began his career in A+.

Not much of an issue if they move him quick, but doesn't change the fact it still disappoints me some!

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#10 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:39 AM

Alex Wimmers was a starter, and also thought to be the most MLB ready in that draft, and began his career in A+.

That example doesn't exactly bolster your argument

#11 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

I am hoping that Burdi makes it though Cedar Rapids and Fort Myers this year and next year starts at AA and is available after the arbitration date and a spot opens on the roster. so 4-5 weeks in each A ball team. then 2-3 months in AA then BAM. It'll be time for the Burdi to fly.
http://t3.gstatic.co...GdUuwDjnmhAimmQ

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd hope Polanco's development or position is impacted not at all by Vielma. Few things bother me as much as the notion that no-hit shortstops are an acceptable lineup option, especially when they are a no-hit shortstop in A ball.

Is the jury now in that Vielma is the second coming of Florimon?

#13 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

That example doesn't exactly bolster your argument

It doesn't? Why? Because since that season he has struggled? That's not relevant at all to the argument I'm making.

They put him in Fort Myers after that draft because of his perceived readiness, and he absolutely dominated in his short time there before the seasons end. This was for a starter, which I would have more concerns about than a reliever.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#14 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:53 AM

I think it's premature (and inaccurate) to call Vielma a no-hit SS in A ball. He's hitting .262 and has 11 XBH. Not an "offense first" SS, by any means, but considering he had an awful time hitting in the cold of April, he's been putting the bat head on the ball pretty well since then (.304 BA since May 1). And he just turned 20 this past Sunday.

Given the issues the Twins have had at SS for, oh, the past couple decades or so, the last thing I'm going to be concerned about is having too many potential MLB level shortstops at Class A+ and below right now. These things tend to work themselves out as guys reach higher levels.

I will say that it's been a long time (maybe in forever) since I saw a guy in CR as good at SS defensively as Vielma has been.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

Vielma moved up a level this year and his bat has gotten better this year. This is an important sign. He still needs a lot of work with the bat, but he isn't stagnating at all.

#16 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

He seems to be doing okay for a guy who just turned 20.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

I think it's premature (and inaccurate) to call Vielma a no-hit SS in A ball. He's hitting .262 and has 11 XBH. Not an "offense first" SS, by any means, but considering he had an awful time hitting in the cold of April, he's been putting the bat head on the ball pretty well since then (.304 BA since May 1). And he just turned 20 this past Sunday.

Given the issues the Twins have had at SS for, oh, the past couple decades or so, the last thing I'm going to be concerned about is having too many potential MLB level shortstops at Class A+ and below right now. These things tend to work themselves out as guys reach higher levels.

I will say that it's been a long time (maybe in forever) since I saw a guy in CR as good at SS defensively as Vielma has been.

Great to hear, JC. I saw Polanco last year, and I really liked what I saw at CR, but let me ask again, as I'm sure you just missed my previous post:

[COLOR=#333333]I know it's too soon, but I'll ask anyway, with Gordon in the pipeline, does Engleb look like a future utility type, or do the Twins run both of these guys at SS up the organization simultaneously at the same level? What would it take for Vielma to force Polanco back to long-term at 2nd Base?[/COLOR]

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

I think that the Twins should roll with Polanco at SS as much as they can. His ceiling is (much) higher than Gordon's. I like Vielma a lot and I think that Gordon is a similar player. But Gordon still has taken about 8 official swings with a wooden bat.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,348 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

I think that the Twins should roll with Polanco at SS as much as they can. His ceiling is (much) higher than Gordon's. I like Vielma a lot and I think that Gordon is a similar player. But Gordon still has taken about 8 official swings with a wooden bat.

As I stated, I really liked Polanco last year when I saw him, but he has suffered from the error bugaboo in Ft Myers. I was under the impression that Gordon's ceiling was almost unlimited- and that there was an outside expert opinion that Vielma was the best athlete in the entire organization not named Buxton...... it will be quite interesting to see how this all plays out in the next 2-3 seasons.

#20 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

As I stated, I really liked Polanco last year when I saw him, but he has suffered from the error bugaboo in Ft Myers. I was under the impression that Gordon's ceiling was almost unlimited- and that there was an outside expert opinion that Vielma was the best athlete in the entire organization not named Buxton...... it will be quite interesting to see how this all plays out in the next 2-3 seasons.

Yes it will. I have not seen Gordon play yet (other than film that does not tell you much, like how and where he moves when a ball is hit at the outfield, whether he is napping on the bases etc.) It is a good problem for the Twins to have (as long as they don't turn any of them into centerfielders.)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#21 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

sorry jokin, I thought I had answered your question.

You're right about it being too soon to know since all 3 guys are still at A+ and below. I don't consider Vielma a utility type at this point. He's grown some and certainly has plenty of room to get bigger, since he just turned 20.

I'm not sold on Polanco at SS long term, but I agree there's no point in moving him off SS at this point because he still has potential to play there.

Not sure what Gordon will be like, but with so many scouts saying he can stick there, I'd tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I like having 3 potential MLB level shortstops in the pipeline.

#22 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

I like having 3 potential MLB level shortstops in the pipeline.

Me too. I never heard of Vielma until I read this thread. So I need to go find out who is this guy. Someone needs to adopt him as a prospect and post stuff about him.

#23 rukavina

rukavina

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Vielma's 19 years old. He is doing well for his level of competition and his age.