Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/23): Berrios, Roberts Lead Miracle

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:09 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...ts-Lead-Miracle

#2 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:19 PM

No one is really sure why Berrios is still in Fort Myers and he's probably solidified his status as a mid-season Top 50 prospect in all of baseball.

Unless of course its a list by Keith Law. But everyone has their opinion I guess.

#3 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:21 PM

I saw in the box score that Eric Farris had 3 outfield assists.

Its a shame that New Britain had that terrible start to the season. They were 10 games under .500 at one point if I'm not mistaken.

#4 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

Unless of course its a list by Keith Law. But everyone has their opinion I guess.

While I get the concern of Law's of being an "extreme fly ball" guy, I do think that works out ok at Target Field.

I would like to make the Berrios/Pedro comparisons, but Pedro was pretty close to 1:1 GO/FO. Pedro's fastball was only around 90 (which came as a surprise to me) according to Fangraphs.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

[COLOR=#3E3E3E]No one is really sure why Berrios is still in Fort Myers and he's probably solidified his status as a mid-season Top 50 prospect in all of baseball.[/COLOR]

Well this time, we know for sure it's not for lack of "consistency." Dean, Duffey, Rogers and Vasquez are "blocking" him in New Britain. Vasquez is 32, it seems that he should move on to Rochester in a long-relief role there or in New Britain, or as a replacement for Diamond. It seems like a waste to have him taking starts instead of Berrios.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

I agree that Berrios has done enough to move up, but I am curious to those who are reading these comments, how would you expect Berrios to perform in AA New Britain? I think he'd be OK, but I thought Lewis Thorpe's control would help him in Cedar Rapids.

I think it'll happen soon.

#7 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

Seth, in response, I think most any young pitcher might take a game or so to adjust to the next level, AA or otherwise. But personally, Berrios, in my opinion, has an almost warrior type attitude and work ethic. I wouldn't be surprised to see a rise in numbers, of course, but an almost equal level of dominance.

Call me giddy to see!

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:47 PM

Good to see Nate Roberts back at it. If only he can stay healthy now.

#9 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

I'm not expecting dominance at New Britain, although it wouldn't exactly surprise me. But I do wonder what is left for Berrios to learn in Ft. Myers.

#10 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:34 PM

Always been fascinated by Nate Roberts' numbers...never seen him play though.

Best case scenario for him...would be ______ ?

#11 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:35 PM

And Cederoth is starting tomorrow (or today)!

Gordon...gotta demote the guy...another 0-fer! ;)

#12 f.k.saito

f.k.saito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

If berrios is on the Futures Game roster, I want him to pitch as World team's starter.

#13 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

Seth, thanks for all your reports. In response to your question, I haven't the foggiest idea, though I hope for continued dominance. The real point is that he has earned the opportunity whatever the outcome. At this point the Twins are almost to the point where they are cheating him.

#14 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:14 AM

I just noticed in looking at his last 10 games that the first of these was the "bad" one. In the last 9 games he's 7-1 with an ERA of 1.24 and never given up more than 2 runs in any game. Crazy, crazy numbers, yet here he sits.

#15 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:54 AM

Seth, thanks for all your reports. In response to your question, I haven't the foggiest idea, though I hope for continued dominance. The real point is that he has earned the opportunity whatever the outcome. At this point the Twins are almost to the point where they are cheating him.

He's super young and its not even July. Lets wait a bit before we condemn the twins. They have been aggressive with some prospects this year so I am willing to wait and see.

#16 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:11 AM

While I get the concern of Law's of being an "extreme fly ball" guy, I do think that works out ok at Target Field.

I would like to make the Berrios/Pedro comparisons, but Pedro was pretty close to 1:1 GO/FO. Pedro's fastball was only around 90 (which came as a surprise to me) according to Fangraphs.

Pedro threw mid-90s when he was young. Injuries sapped his velocity, I believe shortly before Pitch f/x was introduced.

Target Field is good for flyball pitchers, but based on his current rates Berrios would project to be among the most extreme flyball pitchers in MLB (hitters put more balls in the air as the levels advance).

That's partly why it's strange Berrios hasn't been promoted - is it really a good thing for Berrios, who is completely dominant right now, to be shielded from his main weakness? He basically doesn't have to worry about allowing home runs there. Obviously a different kind of pitcher, but look at Baxendale - flyball pitcher dominates FSL and then is blown up in the EL.

I think Berrios would be fine overall in AA, but he would be punished for bad pitches much more frequently. He's too good for the FSL and keeping him there makes no sense.

#17 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:57 AM

Love the picture of Berrios with this article. Pretty epic.

#18 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

That's partly why it's strange Berrios hasn't been promoted - is it really a good thing for Berrios, who is completely dominant right now, to be shielded from his main weakness? He basically doesn't have to worry about allowing home runs there. Obviously a different kind of pitcher, but look at Baxendale - flyball pitcher dominates FSL and then is blown up in the EL.

I think Berrios would be fine overall in AA, but he would be punished for bad pitches much more frequently. He's too good for the FSL and keeping him there makes no sense.

I agree that he is ready to move up as was Baxendale last year. Just know that it does not mean greatness at the next level. Every level is an adjustment and a different one for each player. Some play OK at high "A" and soar at "AA" (Vargas) and some excel at high "A" (Baxendale / Sano) and flutter (or at least without same dominance) at "AA". Each guy has their own adjustment monitor. Buxton was not good in GCL and OK in Appalachain League - The next year he was National Player of the Year. I beleive that some things can be worked on at any level and does not require being held back. Sometimes weaker competition can ony make you worse (JD Williams in Cedar Rapids - 2014). Promotions are needed but not to be over judged by new results (good or bad).

Edited by lightfoot789, 24 June 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:59 AM

I don't think anyone is assuming he will dominate in AA. We are saying he is no longer challenged at A ball. I am a believer that you get better by facing difficult challenges, which does not seem to be the case right now.

#20 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:15 AM

He's super young and its not even July. Lets wait a bit before we condemn the twins. They have been aggressive with some prospects this year so I am willing to wait and see.

Exactly.

#21 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

Don't you think this has all been debated among the field staff? It could be something as simple as Berrios and his current pitching coach working on something. Why the angst about this on June 24th? It's not like he's incapable of getting better there.

#22 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:47 AM

Berrios is a stud pitcher - great to see his hitting is coming along too :D

TWINS DAILY PLAYERS OF THE DAY
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Twins Daily Minor League Pitcher of the Day – Nate Roberts, Fort Myers[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#3E3E3E]Twins Daily Minor League Hitter of the Day – Jose Berrios, Fort Myers
[/COLOR]

#23 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Always good to see a Nate Roberts sighting. Chronologically he's WAY too old for Ft Myers but he hasn't really played much since 2012.

Edited by DJL44, 24 June 2014 - 09:11 AM.
typo

#24 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Love the picture of Berrios with this article. Pretty epic.

Its his Google+ profile picture.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

Not to mention that the preference of groundballs vs flyballs is not universally in favor of groundballs, Bill James being one who believes flyballs are preferable.

A fan who thinks the Twins projected future infield's defense looks sketchy would be another

#26 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:05 PM

Good to see Nate Roberts back! He's always one of my favorite guys to follow when he's playing. Wish there was something they could pin down for the reasons he's always been hurt. He's definitely not afraid of getting plunked by pitches, which some might cite, but I'm pretty sure all his injuries have been various leg-ailments. I think he could have been on the verge of helping the Twins by now if he had been reasonably healthy thus far (never thought he needed to repeat the MWL, even with injuries). Love his game.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,029 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Pedro threw mid-90s when he was young. Injuries sapped his velocity, I believe shortly before Pitch f/x was introduced.

Target Field is good for flyball pitchers, but based on his current rates Berrios would project to be among the most extreme flyball pitchers in MLB (hitters put more balls in the air as the levels advance).

Is this as simple as a "first things first", let's let him focus on one priority at a time, thing? Meaning, perhaps he moves up soon right after a start for the home fans in the Futures Game....?

#28 HansGruber

HansGruber

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Law was a bit quick to dismiss him because of his home ball park in A+ ball. The ball park doesn't create a 4.67 k/bb ratio and his splits are identical. Not to mention Berrios is only 20. Seems like a reach on Law's part, but it's just one man's opinion.