Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game 27 - Twins @ Mariners - 5/6/12

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Uff da. Nine hits in the past four games? These games are getting unbearable. Fortunately, for those who are in the Central time zone, you don't have to stay up until midnight to watch opposing pitchers celebrate their one-hitters - this one is on at 3:10 locally.

Here is today's Murderer's Row via the Twins twitter feed:

Lineup vs SEA: Span CF, Carroll SS, Mauer C, Willingham LF, Doumit DH, Parmelee 1B, Valencia 3B, Komatsu RF, Casilla 2B, Blackburn P.

Couple of notes:

(1) Mauer is 1-for-13 since taking the foul ball off of his left knee and has not yet hit a line drive in 15 plate appearances this month.

(2) Twins lineup does not much experience with Mariners starter Hector Noesi. Willingham has the most plate appearances (4) and doe not have a hit against him.

(3) That nine hits in four games stat is actually a record according to Elias:

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that is the fewest amount of hits over a four game span in modern Major League history (that is, since 1900)...Minnesota surpassed the previous four-game low of 10 hits, done by the California Angels in 1963 and again by the Cincinnati Reds in 1993.

Ouch.

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,268 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

Coincidence on Mauer, or causation? And people wonder why some want Mauer at a new position
Lighten up Francis....

#3 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

More on Mauer...the lone Hitachi was a soft bleeder up the middle that was ruled a hit when mishandled by the SS

#4 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

(3) That nine hits in four games stat is actually a record according to Elias:
Ouch.

Thanks for that tidbit. I expect we'll be researching the worst five-game hitting stretch after today's game, what with Hector Noesi's dominating 7.83 ERA and all.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

Oh my God, Blackburn. Paging P.J. Walters . . . anybody.

#6 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

Coincidence on Mauer, or causation? And people wonder why some want Mauer at a new position

Playing him anywhere else greatly devalues him, though there is a tipping point where maximizing his at-bats, in terms of his career, does become more valuable.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Playing him anywhere else greatly devalues him, though there is a tipping point where maximizing his at-bats, in terms of his career, does become more valuable.

Precisely. I do think his usage this year has been generally good, though he probably should be given a few more days off.

#8 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

Agreed. In terms of days off this year, I think the organization's poor communication last season along with some members of the media disdain have boxed him in with the fan base.

#9 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

5-0. wow, if it wasnt for that 3 run inning on Friday night, we would have one heck of a streak going!

#10 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,115 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

Yay, a run.

#11 Dumahim

Dumahim

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

I keep seeing shadows of birds flying above the field. I wonder if they're vultures.

#12 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

It's pretty awful to think that the Twins may avoid a sweep only due to one of the most bone-headed plays I've seen in a long time.

#13 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

You got it right Alex. We played well enought to go 0-6 this road trip. We were outplayed and outpitched every game. We got lucky the other night and were given a win. I keep thinking we have hit bottom, but just like last year it just keeps getting worse.