Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/22): The Streak Continues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...treak-Continues

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

The Blue Jays seem to be specializing in making Buffalo's roster look like Baltimore's did at one point not so long ago.

#3 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Alcohol Infused

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

The Blue Jays seem to be specializing in making Buffalo's roster look like Baltimore's did at one point not so long ago.

Maybe they can add to their collection of former Twins by acquring Jared Burton for a bag of balls and/or a DQ Dilly Bar for me.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'm not sure what else Mitch Garver has left to prove in CR. He now has a .411 OBP on the season with an .898 OPS.

#5 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

a DQ Dilly Bar for me.

Make sure they send enough for everyone

#6 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

I'm not sure what else Mitch Garver has left to prove in CR. He now has a .411 OBP on the season with an .898 OPS.

How is his defense? Stuart Turner is playing well in Ft Myers at the moment. I think they're letting the catchers play everyday to develop rather than putting them both on the same team.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,000 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

How is his defense? Stuart Turner is playing well in Ft Myers at the moment. I think they're letting the catchers play everyday to develop rather than putting them both on the same team.

Excellent question. And one that I posed to our resident Cedar Rapids Kernels expert, SD Buhr quite recently. Mr Buhr seems to be of the opinion that Garver handles his catching duties quite well for Low A ball. And therein lies the rub. Garver is too old for this level and I am of the opinion that his development is being hampered by not being challenged more by his own peer/age group.

Sharing of the catching duties is par for the course in the minors, and Garver's bat potentially plays well as a part-time DH. But you're right, the Twins likely want two of their best catching prospects on separate teams. But they did play together last year at E-Town, and Garver caught in 5 less games than Turner, but played more games overall, counting his turns as the DH. Clearly, Turner is thought to be the better prospect behind the plate and he outperformed Garver at E-Town, as he jumped straight to High A ball....but there's no denying that Garver has responded to the challenge with the year he's having with the Kernels.

#8 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have been wondering on Garver as well...

What's the feeling on Koch (age 25) and Knudson (age 26) at AA? May sound weird, but due to Garver's bat maybe playing better than Turner's, would/could a jump to AA be of value?

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,429 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

I have been wondering on Garver as well...

What's the feeling on Koch (age 25) and Knudson (age 26) at AA? May sound weird, but due to Garver's bat maybe playing better than Turner's, would/could a jump to AA be of value?

Koch is a hitter. Knudson is a very good defender. They're both well liked/respected in the organization.

Garver's numbers and Turner's numbers (offensively) just can't be compared. Turner's a year younger and at a higher level. I think Garver deserves that opportunity to move up to Ft. Myers, but I don't know how he would compare offensively to Turner. Having him skip FM, I don't think makes sense.