Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v White Sox, 6/22 @ 1:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#1 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Game-time forecast: Partly cloudy with a 40-percent chance of rain. Winds blowing in from center field at 5-10 m.p.h. Temperature near 80.

White Sox:
SP, Danks

Eaton CF
Beckham 2B
Abreu 1B
Dunn DH
Ramirez SS
Gillaspie 3B
Sierra RF
De Aza LF
Flowers C

Twins,
SP, Hughes

Santana SS
Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Morales DH
Arcia RF
Suzuki C
Escobar 3B
Fuld CF

--------------------------------

Brian's up. Take a good cut, young man! Well, man.
----------------------------------------------------------
LOL... Swing Hard in case you hit it... Right?

Things to Think About:

1. Let's go Streaking -- Bring your Green Hat... C'mon everybody we're going streaking. The Twins are on a roll and our pitchers are the butter on that roll. Despite early in the game complaints about Kevin Correia yesterday from some of the Game Thread faithful. Correia wiggled out of some stuff and he's been having a nice stretch of wiggling... Just two earned runs allowed in the last 3 starts over 18 innings. So many have been waiting for a Rochester arm to take his place. I have a feeling that it isn't going to happen unless Correia gets hurt. Back to the naked people running down the street. The Twins have had 7 decent starts in a row on the mound. If they could only time hitting with that pitching... The Twins could be pretty scary right now.

2. #5-4-3-2-1? -- Many people like to take starting pitchers and put them into tiny little boxes. This guy is a #4... This Guy is a #2... This guy is a #5 but projects to a #1. I understand what you are doing when you do that but at the same time... I don't understand why you do that. What is Phil Hughes? In years past with the Yankees... statistically he was a #9... This year with the Twins he's a #2 posting a 3.09 ERA and 1.10 WHIP... So what is he? I don't care... He's the Ace of this staff and in the context of this team. You rotate 5 pitchers typically and they all have to keep your club in ball games. I like what Phil Hughes is doing and to me he's our #45.

3. John Danks -- Today Hughes faces off against John Danks and Mr. Danks has been on a bit of a roll himself. His last 5 starts have been solid... Giving up just 6 earned runs in 35.2 innings. He's 29 years old... left handed and he hails from Round Rock Texas which is a suburb of Austin. The city of Round Rock was named after an actual rock that sits in the middle of Brushy Creek. In case you are all wondering... The Rock isn't perfectly round. It looks more like a badly shaped English Muffin Rock. However... they do things different in Texas and the city council refused to call the City "English Muffin Rock Texas". One council member was quoted as saying "We ain't gonna call ourselves after no Tea sipping princy boys". Back to John Danks... He is married to a musician... Ashley Monroe of the Pistol Annies. As far as I can tell... She's stands on the other side of Miranda Lambert... Holds a microphone and sings every once in awhile. Around the house she can be heard singing "War Pigs" by Black Sabbath while doing dishes. "Balls to the Wall" by Accept while showering and "Blind in Texas" by W.A.S.P while taking long walks. Danks mixes his speeds very well and when he is spotting all his pitches... He can be difficult.

#4 -- All Star Game -- It's starting to look like Kurt Suzuki is the most likely Twins selection for the upcoming All-Star game on our turf. Brian Dozier has been great yet fading a little but Dozier has some serious tough competition at 2B while Suzuki does not. Glen Perkins is also an all star consideration and it's quite possible that he will be a home town selection being a Minnesota boy. He's earned it but it doesn't hurt to be from Minnesota this year... And Phil Hughes is also a consideration. I believe TC Bear will be the obvious selection at mascot.

#5 -- Monkey DNA -- I was reading... It's rare but there are times when I read things and do some learning. According to what I'm reading... Chimpanzee's have 98% similar DNA as humans do. I read that and I let it roll around in my head a little while... 98%!!! That's a big number... Well... My first thought is this... It sure makes that 2% rather important and I want mine protected. I'd hate to have surgery or something... only to have the Doctor accidentally remove my 2% non-monkey DNA.

Edited by Riverbrian, 22 June 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#2 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Suzuki with four straight days behind the plate. I'm surprised.

"Mediocre breaking balls are a gift from God." - Kirby Puckett

#3 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

not moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Suzuki with four straight days behind the plate. I'm surprised.

Yeah, me, too. Is this an issue of not trusting Fryer?

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

Yeah, me, too. Is this an issue of not trusting Fryer?

I think it is an issue of Suzuki playing very well. If he doesn't show some obvious sign of needing a day off, Gardy is going to ride the hot hand.

#5 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

This isn't an issue about not trusting Fryer, they now have the ability to play their hot hitting catcher without worrying about playing time to develop a young player.

The team has struggled lately to score runs, the extra hitter is needed. And no they don't need to worry about developing Fryer. This is why he was on the roster to begin with, to provide competent back up catching while preserving roster flexibility for the future. He is there to burn through his options / service time so they don't have to 40 man roster another young catcher before he is ready or needs to be protected.

#6 CRArko

CRArko

Visiting Castle Anthrax

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationCamelot? 'Tis a silly place.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Rain off and on. So far not threatening. Just a bit gloomy.
Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Zoooooooom Boing Ni!

#7 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

While waiting for our National Anthem and first pitch and instructions that the broadcast is owned exclusively by some clowns in Cooperstown, some thoughts on the pace of play.

Rewatched the Sept. 30, 1967, game with the Red Sox and it's amazing how fast the game went. No graphics, no exploding scoreboards, no mascots, yet the viewer knows what's what. So as a fan, fast play is a treat. When I umpired, I know I could do a better job when play didn't drag, as well. (And, it's no secret, the fast-working pitcher got more strikes called from me. Imagine that.)

My question: Wouldn't players behind the pitcher want him to work faster, too? Wouldn't coaches be coaching that, as well? (I know I did.) OK, that's two questions.

#8 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

While waiting for our National Anthem and first pitch and instructions that the broadcast is owned exclusively by some clowns in Cooperstown, some thoughts on the pace of play.

Rewatched the Sept. 30, 1967, game with the Red Sox and it's amazing how fast the game went. No graphics, no exploding scoreboards, no mascots, yet the viewer knows what's what. So as a fan, fast play is a treat. When I umpired, I know I could do a better job when play didn't drag, as well. (And, it's no secret, the fast-working pitcher got more strikes called from me. Imagine that.)

My question: Wouldn't players behind the pitcher want him to work faster, too? Wouldn't coaches be coaching that, as well? (I know I did.) OK, that's two questions.

I'm sorry, not to get personal, but that is pretty shady.

I really don't understand why an ump can't just call a ball a ball, and a strike a strike. Let the athletes do their job, and the umps can worry about their own job.
If the umps don't like the pace of play, and feel the need to basically extort the pitcher to play at the pace they want them to play, then find a new career.

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

I really don't understand why an ump can't just call a ball a ball, and a strike a strike. Let the athletes do their job, and the umps can worry about their own job.
If the umps don't like the pace of play, and feel the need to basically extort the pitcher to play at the pace they want them to play, then find a new career.

When I ump... If a player had odd colored shoes... They wouldn't get a call.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:16 PM

DP... Doctor Prescibed?

#11 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

I have a 15-ish yr old extra fridge in the garage. Darndest thing...it worked fine, but needed a defrosting and a good cleaning. Upon spending a decent part of Saturday cleaning it thoroughly...it decided to quit working.

That's what I get, I guess.

Mrs Chief and I are going refrigerator shopping later.

#12 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

lurker

• Members
  • 682 posts

DP... Doctor Prescibed?

Don't Pout.

#13 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

I agree with you... A pitcher who works quickly is a plus for the defense staying sharp. I think too much is made of it at the pro level because players should be able to stay sharp at all durations but... They don't always... Even at the pro level. If a pitcher wants his best defense behind him... Step to the rubber and throw.

#14 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

I have a 15-ish yr old extra fridge in the garage. Darndest thing...it worked fine, but needed a defrosting and a good cleaning. Upon spending a decent part of Saturday cleaning it thoroughly...it decided to quit working.

What kinda gas milage did you get with it? I'm assuming its 99' Amana... When it starts leaking oil... You probably should replace it.

#15 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

I think Joe is gonna take the 1st pitch.

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:24 PM

Walk, walk. Shades of April!

#17 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

The Twins did not swing at the first 13 pitches thrown. Cool.

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Aggressive Baserunning by the speedy Santana!!! Love it!!!

#19 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

That's Ok... Run scored

Although I'm not sure what Dozier was doing other that trying to be a decoy in case he wanted to throw home.

#20 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Bad baserunning cost the team a run.

#21 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

So new one for the house and older one to the garage?

(Actually, I've seen this phenomenon before .... it's as if the ice and dirt were holding it together.)

#22 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:32 PM

But didn't Dozier commit a fundamentally bad baserunning play? You never run from second to third when the ball is hit in front of you ... Then Morales singles, which would have scored Dozier.

But he got to second by headsup baserunning ...

#23 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

That's Ok... Run scored

Although I'm not sure what Dozier was doing other that trying to be a decoy in case he wanted to throw home.

Maybe, but I think it was a mistake.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

But didn't Dozier commit a fundamentally bad baserunning play? You never run from second to third when the ball is hit in front of you ... Then Morales singles, which would have scored Dozier.

But he got to second by headsup baserunning ...

Yeah it wasn't good... I assume he didn't notice where Ramirez was positioned and went to third on instinct. Thinking it was in the hole or the 3B getting to the ball leaving the base open.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

So new one for the house and older one to the garage?

(Actually, I've seen this phenomenon before .... it's as if the ice and dirt were holding it together.)

No, the one in the house is relatively new and relatively expensive. We'll find something cheap for the garage to keep the, uh, refeshments cold. That and the freezer space is what we need.

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:36 PM

Maybe, but I think it was a mistake.

It was... As a coach... I always tell my players... If you are on second base... You have to know where everybody is positioned. You have to look behind you and know where the SS is.

#27 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:38 PM

No offense taken. Even the pros admit that the slow moving pitcher often doesn't get the close calls. And after letting the catcher know to get some giddyup in his teammate, and the pitcher blows him and me off, well, too bad.

BTW, I was a top-rated official in the amateur ranks.

#28 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

No, the one in the house is relatively new and relatively expensive. We'll find something cheap for the garage to keep the, uh, refeshments cold. That and the freezer space is what we need.

Refreshments, watermelon and nightcrawlers .....

staples of all garage refrigerators.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,467 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Get a Big Screen TV for the wall and you'll be ready to officially move in.

#30 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm not so sure Santana would have scored if Dozier hadn't tried to go to third
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.