Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Ok Nolasco now its your time!

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,178 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

Hughes, Gibson and Correia (!!!!) have all been pitching pretty darn well lately, in Hughes and Gibsons cases they quickly look to be legit top of the rotation type studs for the near future.

We all know the struggles Nolasco has had this year, yes he has been unlucky no doubt, but his FIP and xFIP still sit at 4.50 and 4.05 respectufully.

Time for Nolasco to step up and start pitching like a mid rotation guy we expected. If he can step up and pitch like a number three, dare I say I really like our rotation moving forward?

Hughes is a #1 for this team, Gibson is a pitching close to a #1 level as well. Nolasco at #3 and whoever the hot hand is between Pino/May/Meyer #4 with Correia actually keeping us in games as a possible average #5

Me likes our chances moving forward.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#2 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

So Nolasco didn't exactly pitch the lights out last night, but he only gave up the 2 homers and was in line for the win before Perkins decided he wanted it instead. That being said, hopefully he is able to build off a decent performance and become the starter we all hoped he would be when he was signed.

#3 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

I was thinking that Nolasco always underachieved in the National League, why wont the same pattern hold true in the American League?

Except that the American League is superior offensively which will further esculate his numbers. High 4's, low 5's is maybe what we should expect going forward.

#4 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:46 AM

Nolasco is ok for 5 innings. After that he just mails it in.

#5 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

The 3 guys I wanted to sign were Hughes, Kazmir and Garza. I never trusted Nolasco. How good a rotation would we have with those 3 plus Gibson and Coreia (and next year Meyer). Oh well maybe we can trade Nolasco at some point.

#6 benchwarmerjim

benchwarmerjim

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

For me, the thing about Nolasco is that its few and far between he gets a quick inning. Most innings is a meat grinder for him and by the time the 5th inning rolls around he is cooked.

#7 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:04 AM

For me, the thing about Nolasco is that its few and far between he gets a quick inning. Most innings is a meat grinder for him and by the time the 5th inning rolls around he is cooked.

Does anyone know how his stats look in terms of pitches per inning? I know this isn't a hard and fast stat about wearing down, but I was just curious.

#8 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:26 PM

How long until this guy starts getting some heat for his performance so far?

#9 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

I am almost getting to the point where I think we should send him to the minors to see if he can figure it out down there. He hasn't pitched much like a major leaguer except for a few starts and were coming on 15th or so start of the season. If another team wants to take over his contract then power to them we can be freed and go after a different pitcher this offseason. I am surprised by how bad he has been. I really liked this signing last offseason.

#10 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

How long until this guy starts getting some heat for his performance so far?

You're new here aren't you?

Edited by Sconnie, 26 June 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#11 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Nolasco has been the worst (like now) or almost the worst in MLB for average against all year. It currently sits at .322. He makes a whole team a .322 hitter. A whole team!

#12 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:48 PM

Nolasco has been the worst (like now) or almost the worst in MLB for average against all year. It currently sits at .322. He makes a whole team a .322 hitter. A whole team!

No doubt.

Seems like almost every start he's also unlucky with some horrific fielding play. In the first inning today, Aybar had an "RBI double" that was a dropped pop up by Florimon.

I actually wonder if Nolasco himself wouldn't be a trade candidate at the deadline - he might really want to get out of here. Who knows.

#13 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:24 AM

Yeah Dazzle got to do his flip-down rant talking about the Florimon drop after the game. Hard to disagree with him. Of course, Pujols wouldn't have scored on the play if he'd not already stolen 2nd LOL.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,896 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:27 AM

I don't see anyone taking Nolasco right now. He's not being helped by having a SS playing in CF either... That said, they guy has always been streaky... and in a frustrating way too. He gets those Ks, but the results aren't always there.