Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Catcher's influence on pitchers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, are there any stats that measure the impact catchers have on pitchers? Is it even possible? Do you think there is any difference in how our staff pitches when they are pitching to Doumit or Butera instead of Mauer? If every time Butera caught a starter this year and it was a QS and a win, would people be willing to give him any credit for it, and accept him as a valuable catcher despite his wiffle bat?

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,804 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:57 AM

I'm not aware of any stat but yeah it makes a big difference in my opinion. Calling a game is an art form. You have to know how to set up batters and exploit Weakness. Catcher should prep for each hitter, and those who take that seriously will be a huge influence on a pitchers numbers.

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:36 AM

Just out of curiosity, are there any stats that measure the impact catchers have on pitchers? Is it even possible?

Do you think there is any difference in how our staff pitches when they are pitching to Doumit or Butera instead of Mauer? If every time Butera caught a starter this year and it was a QS and a win, would people be willing to give him any credit for it, and accept him as a valuable catcher despite his wiffle bat?

http://goo.gl/HeSC9
It appears that as Riverbrian intuits, the impact a catcher can have is on pitch selection, and thus influence things like groundball ratio. The article notes that this skill is independent of how good of a defensive catcher a player is. The article does point out that catcher ERA is not a reliable tool.

#4 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'm not aware of any stat but yeah it makes a big difference in my opinion. Calling a game is an art form. You have to know how to set up batters and exploit Weakness. Catcher should prep for each hitter, and those who take that seriously will be a huge influence on a pitchers numbers.

The pitcher still has to execute, hit his spots as they say.