The Lineups are coming soon... It's an early start today and Gardenhire probably hasn't woken up yet. ChiTown will post them right here.
Bri, it's not Gardy who hasn't woken up yet ... it's Chi. But I'm getting there. At least enough to post these:
(And after looking at that, maybe I'll go back to bed.)
Things to Think About:
1. The Rubberband - 32-37... 5 games back of .500... The majority of us knew that the Rubberband couldn't last forever... Is this it for the rubberband? I don't know but the offense is killing the rubberband right now. It's the offense... It isn't the pitching. Has the offense done enough damage to it to render it useless from here on out? I don't know but it will probably take the offense getting it together to get the rubberband back together. So come on people now... Smile on me Brother.
2. Slumps - We are pretty happy with the performance of Danny Santana, Eduardo Escobar and Kurt Suzuki this year and lately. Joe isn't Joe like but he is 7/24 in his last 7 games and his OPS is 2nd on the team over the last 7 games. Just when it seems like Gardy has settled on an everyday lineup... (minus Plouffe of course). We are seeing the wheels come off in key places. Oswaldo Arcia is 2 for his last 32. Both of those hits came June 11th in Toronto. Take that game out and he is 0 for 27 surrounding June 11. Not just 2 for 32 but I'm swinging and missing at everything 2 for 32. Since his pinch hit home run after coming back from a back injury... Brian Dozier is 0 for his last 10. Josh Willingham is 1 for his last 15. Kendrys Morales is 3 for his last 20. Sam Fuld is 2 for his last 13. That's 5 people... 4 people in key spots in the lineup who do not have more hits than Eric Fryer has in the past 6 games and Eric Fryer has only played 1 game. 3 People on the bench could fill in for these Slumping Twins. 1 of them Nunez has been injured... 1 of them... Parmelee hasn't been played since X-mas and the other 1... Florimon probably shouldn't be counted on to break the team out offensively.
3. Repeat performances -- Kyle Gibson has been the opposite of our offense lately. Kyle Gibson hasn't allowed a Run in 15 straight innings. Taking it a little further... In his last 4 starts since May 28th... Kyle Gibson has hung a zero in 24 out of 26 innings. In the two innings where he allowed a run... Both came in Milwaukee. In the 4th inning... It took a bunt single and ill advised throw to advance a runner on a LuCroy single to give up an extra base to produce two runs and in the 5th inning it was a two run shot by Mark Reynolds. Otherwise you are seriously talking about a 26 inning scoreless streak. Can Gibson shut out the Red Sox... Maybe... It's a lot to expect but the point is this... Gibson is rolling right now and that's awesome. If the offense doesn't get it going... He'll need to be awesome.
4. John Lackey -- He's 35 years old from Abilene Texas... That put him smack dab in the middle of the part of Texas that doesn't count. Abilene is a city just kinda stuck in the middle of miles and miles of open range. To get to interesting places like Dallas or Lawton Oklahoma from Abilene you have to drive until you can't see straight but the temporary blindness is OK because there is nothing to run into if you drift off the road. Lackey is fastball slider guy for the most part but that's good enough for a 3.24 ERA.
5. Emergency Rooms -- A friend of mine drove himself to the Emergency Room last night. I stopped by to see him... He's doing good... He wasn't having a heart attack but he thought he was having one. He said the scariest part was finding a parking spot and then walking across the entire parking lot to the Emergency Room. No Valet Parking!!! They may want to consider that. Because you'll never know when someone eats a burrito too fast.
Edited by Riverbrian, 18 June 2014 - 09:40 AM.