Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins@Red Sox 6/18 12:35PM

• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Game-time forecast: Sunny. Winds blowing out to right field at 10-20 m.p.h. Temperature around 85.

The Lineups are coming soon... It's an early start today and Gardenhire probably hasn't woken up yet. ChiTown will post them right here.

Bri, it's not Gardy who hasn't woken up yet ... it's Chi. But I'm getting there. At least enough to post these:

Twins:
SP, Gibson

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Morales DH
Parmelee RF
Escobar 3B
Fryer C
Florimon SS

(And after looking at that, maybe I'll go back to bed.)

Red Sox:
SP, Lackey

Holt RF
Bogaerts 3B
Pedroia 2B
Ortiz DH
Napoli 1B
Nava LF
Pierzynski C
Drew SS
Bradley CF

----------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. The Rubberband - 32-37... 5 games back of .500... The majority of us knew that the Rubberband couldn't last forever... Is this it for the rubberband? I don't know but the offense is killing the rubberband right now. It's the offense... It isn't the pitching. Has the offense done enough damage to it to render it useless from here on out? I don't know but it will probably take the offense getting it together to get the rubberband back together. So come on people now... Smile on me Brother.

2. Slumps - We are pretty happy with the performance of Danny Santana, Eduardo Escobar and Kurt Suzuki this year and lately. Joe isn't Joe like but he is 7/24 in his last 7 games and his OPS is 2nd on the team over the last 7 games. Just when it seems like Gardy has settled on an everyday lineup... (minus Plouffe of course). We are seeing the wheels come off in key places. Oswaldo Arcia is 2 for his last 32. Both of those hits came June 11th in Toronto. Take that game out and he is 0 for 27 surrounding June 11. Not just 2 for 32 but I'm swinging and missing at everything 2 for 32. Since his pinch hit home run after coming back from a back injury... Brian Dozier is 0 for his last 10. Josh Willingham is 1 for his last 15. Kendrys Morales is 3 for his last 20. Sam Fuld is 2 for his last 13. That's 5 people... 4 people in key spots in the lineup who do not have more hits than Eric Fryer has in the past 6 games and Eric Fryer has only played 1 game. 3 People on the bench could fill in for these Slumping Twins. 1 of them Nunez has been injured... 1 of them... Parmelee hasn't been played since X-mas and the other 1... Florimon probably shouldn't be counted on to break the team out offensively.

3. Repeat performances -- Kyle Gibson has been the opposite of our offense lately. Kyle Gibson hasn't allowed a Run in 15 straight innings. Taking it a little further... In his last 4 starts since May 28th... Kyle Gibson has hung a zero in 24 out of 26 innings. In the two innings where he allowed a run... Both came in Milwaukee. In the 4th inning... It took a bunt single and ill advised throw to advance a runner on a LuCroy single to give up an extra base to produce two runs and in the 5th inning it was a two run shot by Mark Reynolds. Otherwise you are seriously talking about a 26 inning scoreless streak. Can Gibson shut out the Red Sox... Maybe... It's a lot to expect but the point is this... Gibson is rolling right now and that's awesome. If the offense doesn't get it going... He'll need to be awesome.

4. John Lackey -- He's 35 years old from Abilene Texas... That put him smack dab in the middle of the part of Texas that doesn't count. Abilene is a city just kinda stuck in the middle of miles and miles of open range. To get to interesting places like Dallas or Lawton Oklahoma from Abilene you have to drive until you can't see straight but the temporary blindness is OK because there is nothing to run into if you drift off the road. Lackey is fastball slider guy for the most part but that's good enough for a 3.24 ERA.

5. Emergency Rooms -- A friend of mine drove himself to the Emergency Room last night. I stopped by to see him... He's doing good... He wasn't having a heart attack but he thought he was having one. He said the scariest part was finding a parking spot and then walking across the entire parking lot to the Emergency Room. No Valet Parking!!! They may want to consider that. Because you'll never know when someone eats a burrito too fast.

Edited by Riverbrian, 18 June 2014 - 09:40 AM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

So come on people now...smile on me brother...everybody string hits together, try to drive in one another right now.

#3 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Riverbrian! Great Things to Think about!

#4 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:08 AM

So come on people now...smile on me brother...everybody string hits together, try to drive in one another right now.

Thanks, Chief, I needed that.

#5 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

Wow, the bottom 2 are like a black hole in the Twins lineup, Fryer and Florimon?

I guess we better hope that Gibson throws a shutout.

Edited by kdrupp09, 18 June 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:12 AM

Wow, the bottom 2 are like a black hole in the Twins lineup, Fryer and Florimon?

Does it matter? The whole line-up has been a black hole lately.

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

"If everybody else does their job, (they) don't have to hit."

#8 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Lineup could hardly do worse than the ones from the last coupla games I'm willing to kick the tires

#9 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Does it matter? The whole line-up has been a black hole lately.

What i've seen of black holes in literature and such, they can be pretty violent. Though "swing if it's outside your event horizon" doesn't have the ring of sound baseball advice...

Anyway, it sounds like good weather, and hopefully it'll be a good game.

#10 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Twins media emergency kit.

If the rubber band breaks you use the lipstick!

Posted Image

Edited by Winston Smith, 18 June 2014 - 09:52 AM.

This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

2. Slumps - 3 People on the bench could fill in for these Slumping Twins. 1 of them Nunez has been injured... 1 of them... Parmelee hasn't been played since X-mas

and the other 1... Florimon probably shouldn't be counted on to break the team out offensively.

Only, just, "Probably"? Let's not go out on a limb or anything, RB https://encrypted-tb...2u3NiXA74IOqxkw

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

Lineup could hardly do worse than the ones from the last coupla games I'm willing to kick the tires

I kinda hope Gardy's more willing to kick a few rears into gear.

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Well, Parmelee couldn't do much worse than Arcia, Florimon is replacing Fuld, so there is only a small loss there and Fryer is hitting .600. I put a pair of rose colored glasses on this morning.

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:00 AM

"If everybody else does their job, (they) don't have to hit."

Bringing up another bat rather than another glove is looking more and more like the option the Twins should have chosen. Red Sox need a bat in the lineup due to injuries and all-around slumping, they bring up Brock Holt and Garin Cecchini, the Twins, in the identical predicament, bring up Fry-Daddy and P-Flo. :angry:

#15 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:01 AM

What are the Twins going to do with Nunez? Is he available?

#16 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,517 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

#17 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:17 AM

They just got him... but I suppose you could get him for the right price....:P

#18 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,239 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:32 AM

Good; then we can move Esco back to short and maybe send back PFlo back down.

#19 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

I'm on board with this lineup too. Some guys need a break. It's like the old getaway day lineup you used to see from Kelly. Sometimes it works.

#20 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:37 AM

Wow, Fryer and Florimon in the same lineup.

#21 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:13 AM

I should be out pulling weeds.

#22 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

The F and F boys in the 8-9 spots.....there's a ban in there just waiting to be had, even in a game thread.

#23 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm on board with this lineup too. Some guys need a break. It's like the old getaway day lineup you used to see from Kelly. Sometimes it works.

This lineup definitely screams getaway that's for sure.

#24 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

This is one of my favourite versions of Abilene

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=CcAHzvzmYpg

#25 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Here comes the harmless double.

#26 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

If it ever makes sense to start Florimon, it would make sense today given Gobson's ground ball tendency.

#27 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

If it ever makes sense to start Florimon, it would make sense today given Gobson's ground ball tendency.

The last play in the first inning showed that. I do not think Santana, Nunez, or Escobar would have had that.

#28 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

A strike out per inning? Nice work, Gibson!

#29 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

3 strikeouts in 2 innings.

#30 Kirby_Waved_At_Me

Kirby_Waved_At_Me

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Even better!