Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Breaking: Scott Diamond and Brian Dozier to join the Twins

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,308 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Details to follow
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Just saw that on the Red Wings twitter feed. The call on Dozier... interesting...

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

A little surpised by Dozier, but let's see how that plays out!! Good for both of them!

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

So Hendriks + another pitcher?

#5 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

So Hendriks + another pitcher?

Hendriks and Morneau to DL, most likely.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hendriks and Morneau to DL, most likely.

Yeah that's what I hear too. Still 13 Ps
-----

#7 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

At this point, almost any possible callup would feel like a good thing.

#8 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

both have played well and have earned a shot. It would be nice to see someone come up and really make an impact. Earn a spot and force their way into the everyday lineup.

#9 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

So where does Dozier get his first start. SS on a day where we give Carrol the day off or 2b, 3b?

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

The idea of Dozier or Carroll starting at 3B is just crazy to me... I'd guess Dozier at SS and Carroll at 2B primarily with Casilla as the utility guy. Also wouldn't be surprised if all three of them (Carroll, Casilla and Dozier) play two out of every three games.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,308 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:18 PM

The idea of Dozier or Carroll starting at 3B is just crazy to me... I'd guess Dozier at SS and Carroll at 2B primarily with Casilla as the utility guy. Also wouldn't be surprised if all three of them (Carroll, Casilla and Dozier) play two out of every three games.

Maybe... Other than the fact that Lexi has been the best Twins' IF based on a couple different measures and his bat has been better than Carroll's. I can see a rotation of sorts, but I'd rather see Dozier at SS, Lexi at 2B 2/3 days with Carroll filling in on one or the other spot, or at third the third day. He is 38. No future with the Twins, let's play the ones who do have a future.
-----

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Casilla's batting average has been better than Carroll's, but Carroll's on base percentage has been better.

#13 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

Let's play the ones who do have a future.

I'm pretty sure Carroll will be around next year. It's hard to say the same about Casilla. If you're talking long-term future... well, who really knows...

#14 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Time for Maloney and.Gray to go also. Slama has definitely earned a shot, probably Manship too.

#15 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Time for Maloney and.Gray to go also. Slama has definitely earned a shot, probably Manship too.

Gray has an era of 2.38. Why not keep him at least until he gets to 2.39?

#16 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Amen to that

#17 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Why Gray? He has the best ERA on the team right now, 2nd to Burton in Batting avg against and H/9, 2nd to Duensing in HR/9. The ONLY thing he seems to be struggling with is that he's walking too many guys, but they don't seem to be coming around to score. Right now, I'd keep him over pretty much everyone in the bullpen other than Burton. Disclaimer: Stats haven't been updated to include tonight's game

#18 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Gray has an era of 2.38. Why not keep him at least until he gets to 2.39?

At 2.38, he STILL has the best ERA on the team.

#19 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Why Gray? He has the best ERA on the team right now, 2nd to Burton in Batting avg against and H/9, 2nd to Duensing in HR/9. The ONLY thing he seems to be struggling with is that he's walking too many guys, but they don't seem to be coming around to score. Right now, I'd keep him over pretty much everyone in the bullpen other than Burton.

Disclaimer: Stats haven't been updated to include tonight's game

Gray gave up a run tonight -- which raised his era to 2.38. He has now given up 3 runs in 11.1 innings pitched.

Maloney also gave up a run tonight -- which raised his era to 8.18. He has now given up 10 runs in 11 innings pitched.

#20 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Proud to say that I called these moves. I think Carroll goes to a utility role with Casilla staying in the lineup. I would expect Carroll to get consistent time at 2nd, short and 3rd.

#21 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

I've always been a Valencia fan, but he has really looked lost at the plate the last few games. Ok this season. Gardy has never been real happy with his fielding. I think he is the odd man out with the promotion of Dozier. When he came up in 2010, I really hoped that he would claim the position as his and not give it up for 10 years. He played much worse in 2011 and I think there has been another drop off so far this season. As most everyone agrees, Lexi has probably played the best of the three and Carrol has been about as good as expected. Even with his low avg, he has been getting on base and you can tell Gardy likes the quality of his at bats. He has fielded his position as good if not better than expected. The guy that needs to sit and earn his way back on to the field is Danny. [h=1][/h]

#22 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

With the Twins deciding to keep 13 pitchers and with Maloney's current struggles, would it make sense for the Twins to send him through waivers and bring up Guerra, who is pitching the best he has in like his entire career? I also liked Danny when he arrived, but if the Twins can have Sano keep his weight down and improve his fielding, Sano actually might be our next solution at 3rd base.

#23 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Gray got way over 3 tonight...

Time for Gray and Maloney to go

Slama and any lefty.....French ? Up to biggs... (robertson, Oliveros, Devries, Guerra, Gutierrez) need more time.

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. *Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8.Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-AAA) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+) 15.Nick Burdi (RP-A)  Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#24 adjacent

adjacent

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Gray got way over 3 tonight...

Time for Gray and Maloney to go

Slama and any lefty.....French ? Up to biggs... (robertson, Oliveros, Devries, Guerra, Gutierrez) need more time.

Not necessary another lefty. There are already 2 very good lefties in the bullpen. I would say Slama and Guerra, although maybe is too early for Guerra.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

I gave them the benefit of the doubt on 13 pitchers when Blackburn and Liriano were skipped. But its gone on for weeks now and is just more evidence of how truly idiotic they can be regarding roster management. Major league teams do not intentionally handicap themselves to this extent. 13 pitchers, no Morneau for a week, AND Butera. Sheesh.

#26 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,567 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:47 AM

I gave them the benefit of the doubt on 13 pitchers when Blackburn and Liriano were skipped. But its gone on for weeks now and is just more evidence of how truly idiotic they can be regarding roster management. Major league teams do not intentionally handicap themselves to this extent. 13 pitchers, no Morneau for a week, AND Butera. Sheesh.

Yeah that's bugging me big time.

As for Dozier arriving... Jamey Carroll is 53 years old. He should regularly fill in at 2B, SS and 3B. Dozier and Casilla should play.

#27 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

Not sure what it will be after 4 games, but I am guessing Dozier gives Casilla, Carroll, and Valencia a day off and then another day with Valencia DHing (Carroll moves to third), then maybe Dozier's off and either some sort of cycle starts again or by that time Casilla will show that he will return to be terrible . . .

#28 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Yes Dozier has to play virtually everyday or it makes no sense. Casilla should be the utility guy, I think the Mauer to the 2 hole will have to wait until Morneau gets back cuz I think you need Willy to bat 4th.

Span
Carroll
Mauer
Willy
Doumit
Valencia
???
Dozier
???

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,829 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'm anxious to see what Dozier can do .... but I hope we wait awhile before proclaiming him a savior or as a long-term starting replacement for Carroll or Casilla. It seems like Twins fans have a tendency to laud these call-ups early .... only to suffer big disappointments in the long run. I hope Dozier does well. I hope he and Carroll and Casilla make the decision-making difficult (and if Dozier can play a good third base, all the better) but I hope that people keep a sense of perspective.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

On his show this morning, Gardy said that Dozier is his shortstop and that he will figure out the playing time at 2B between Casilla and Carroll. I woudl also encourage everyone to have some control on their expectations for Dozier. He's got about a .720 OPS in AAA right now. If he can post an OPS of .680-700 this season in the big leagues and make the plays with the glove, I'll be very happy. I think an .800 OPS from Dozier would be best case scenario in a couple of years. But I do worry about how not only the Twins media but the Twins manager is touing him as a guy who is going to come up and be a huge difference maker and create all this offense. I think he can be a good player, but I fear what people's expectations are for him.