Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (6/16): May Annexes June 16th

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:00 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...nexes-June-16th

#2 twinsfaninsaudi

twinsfaninsaudi

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

Who is pitching for Rochester on Wednesday and Thursday? I'm in the area and may go to one of the games.

#3 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

It was originally Pino (Tues), Meyer (Wed) and Darnell (Thur). Now Gilmartin is pitching Tuesday and the feeling is that everyone is being bumped back a day... and that its possible that Darnell pitches Thursday for the Twins.

#4 Larsbars08

Larsbars08

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

Is it possible that Berrios goes up to AA to take Gilmartin's spot in the rotation?

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

How does Logan Darnell profile in the majors?

His minor league strike out, walk and ground ball rates suggest that he might be able to develop into a Brian Duensing type career.

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:13 AM

His minor league strike out, walk and ground ball rates suggest that he might be able to develop into a Brian Duensing type career.

That would be a good comp.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

Is it possible that Berrios goes up to AA to take Gilmartin's spot in the rotation?

Gotta think so, although on the broadcast of Berrios' last Miracle game, the thought from the announcer was that management supposedly would keep Jose with the Miracle in a possible first-half pennant-clinching situation (First half ends on Wednesday) at the very least, before he would move up to New Britain.

#8 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:03 AM

I think Wheeler would be ahead of Berrios in the promotion line, but that's just my opinion.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

Sounds like Darnell is replacing Deduno.

I'm a bit higher on Darnell than most in that I think he can be a pretty solid number 3. His K rate has been climbing as he's reached tougher competition, so I'm not sure that using his minor league numbers are appropriate here. The guy can miss some bats. Looking forward to seeing him pitch in MN.

#10 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:34 AM

Sounds like Darnell is replacing Deduno.

I'm a bit higher on Darnell than most in that I think he can be a pretty solid number 3. His K rate has been climbing as he's reached tougher competition, so I'm not sure that using his minor league numbers are appropriate here. The guy can miss some bats. Looking forward to seeing him pitch in MN.

Have we gotten any indications on the potential corresponding roster move? I don't think the Twins will try to sneak Deduno through waivers, is there another pitcher who can go down to make sure the Twins can keep Deduno?

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

Gotta think so, although on the broadcast of Berrios' last Miracle game, the thought from the announcer was that management supposedly would keep Jose with the Miracle in a possible first-half pennant-clinching situation (First half ends on Wednesday) at the very least, before he would move up to New Britain.

And I think that's only fair. The team works so hard to try to get to the playoffs. What's one more start. I also agree that Wheeler is likely the next in line for promotion.

#12 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:10 AM

I think Wheeler would be ahead of Berrios in the promotion line, but that's just my opinion.

Only because this team more often than not promotes based on seniority rather than results. Wheeler is definately deserving of a promotion, but Berrios has been better.

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,491 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

Wheeler is also 3 years older, pitching well and was in Ft. Myers all of last season too. He should move up.

#14 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

Why is no one complaining about May throwing 120 pitches. That would be a lot for an established pitcher in the MLB. It makes no sense in AAA.

#15 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:26 AM

Just guessing here, but I imagine they'll be able to find room in New Britain's rotation for both guys before too awful long.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#16 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:54 AM

Why is no one complaining about May throwing 120 pitches. That would be a lot for an established pitcher in the MLB. It makes no sense in AAA.

He's a different kind of prospect - he's thrown 150 innings or more the last three seasons. Durability is a big part of his make up. He should be throwing 110 or more pitches at this point. 120 is nothing to get worried about.

Also, he should be called up before Darnell.

#17 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

Thielbar still has options if they want to bump someone from the bullpen. Otherwise they could just release Jared Burton and keep Deduno.

#18 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,133 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Oh, there's hubbub about it. You're just not looking in the right places.

#19 2wins87

2wins87

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think he's a potential innings eating #4 or #5 type, and he could of course move into a long relief LOOGY role if that doesn't stick.

I got a chance to catch his last start. I was along the third base which was not the best view, but he seemed to be going mostly fastball/changeup. His fastball was sitting between 86 and 89 according to the ballpark pitch speed (not sure if there's a bias on it), and I saw him hit as high as 91 a couple times. His changeup seemed to be a bit off that night; it sat around 80 or 81 but he was missing with it a lot and I don't remember seeing a lot of swings and misses on it. I also noticed him mixing in a curveball around 78 mph which was probably his better secondary offering that night. I remember at least one swinging K on the curve (which earned everyone in the stadium a free taco), and the opposing batters didn't seem to be able to get real solid contact on it. He's got a pretty compact delivery and it looks like he hides the ball behind his head until the last moment which could add a little deception.

I personally think he's got the stuff to make a career in the majors, providing decent value filling out the back of a rotation.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:38 AM

Thielbar still has options if they want to bump someone from the bullpen. Otherwise they could just release Jared Burton and keep Deduno.

Just in reading the postgame tea leaves, when a reporter was fishing for compliments for Thielbar for striking out the side last night (sandwiches around some control issues and hittability), Gardy didn't offer any sign of recognition for Thielber for "getting after it" or "battiling his tail off", while he made certain to praise Burton for his effort (as rare as it has come this season). But the Twins do need another lefty in the pen.

#21 NealcpLA

NealcpLA

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

Exactly! Whoever allowed him to stay in and throw 120 pitches...THIS guy, the #1 pitching prospect for the team...the future, should be fired immediately...and no nonsense about "old school" and "sucking it up". If this season in MLB should be teaching us, with it's nearly unheard of rash of TJ surgeries is what the abuse of young pitcher's arms is costing...

#22 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Because he was cruising.

9, 13, 12, 21, 9, 13, 13, 13, 17.

That's how many pitches he threw per inning. That is by no metric you could possibly think of, a "harsh" workload. If he had thrown another inning with 20+ pitches, I think his night would have been cut shorter. I hate that the "total pitches" is looked at in this regard, instead of pitches per inning. This is why Justin Verlander (not necessarily this year) routinely throws 100+ pitches, because he always keeps the pitches/inning low. In 2013, he had 4 starts (out of 34) where he DIDN'T throw 100+ pitches, and threw 110+ in 21 of those starts.

I'm not saying May is Verlander, but total pitches is not what is worrisome, especially when the pitches per inning are kept low (say around 15/IP). It is my opinion that it is far more harsh on an arm if a guy is throwing multiple innings worth of a lot of pitches. If he's throwing as many as May did last night, no big deal.

Just for fun, I asked May what he thought about throwing that many pitches, his response:

https://twitter.com/...761122540298241

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#23 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:20 AM

Old school or not, it's awfully hard to take a pitcher out who is cruising through a 2-hit shutout. You just might get the Jack Morris stare (even if the outcome is not in question).

#24 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Wheeler is also 3 years older, pitching well and was in Ft. Myers all of last season too. He should move up.

Well that's what I meant when I said the Twins often promote based on seniority. It doesn't change the fact that although Wheeler has pitched very well, Berrios has pitched better.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Cross-posted from the main forum:

Rochester looks like they are in a brutal stretch of games. No off days between June 11 and July 14, with two doubleheaders in there (including one this coming Saturday). 34 games in 32 days.

It would not surprise me if they went with a 6 man rotation, or at least kept 6 starters on staff for awhile (if Pino slides back to the pen next week).

Any thoughts from the TD minor league gurus?

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:01 PM

Cross-posted from the main forum:

Rochester looks like they are in a brutal stretch of games. No off days between June 11 and July 14, with two doubleheaders in there (including one this coming Saturday). 34 games in 32 days.

It would not surprise me if they went with a 6 man rotation, or at least kept 6 starters on staff for awhile (if Pino slides back to the pen next week).

Any thoughts from the TD minor league gurus?

Assuming someone (Darnell) gets called up only for a guest start with the Twins, now that Gilmartin is with Rochester, the Wings have those 6 guys, plus Diamond can go back into the rotation at any time as the 7th starting option.

#27 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

Assuming someone (Darnell) gets called up only for a guest start with the Twins, now that Gilmartin is with Rochester, the Wings have those 6 guys, plus Diamond can go back into the rotation at any time as the 7th starting option.

I forgot about Diamond... but maybe it's best to do that anyway.

Rochester will need the 6th guy on Saturday, so if we take someone from them, Diamond will have to start then.

Doesn't look like a great opportunity for a quick guest start, unless we want to disable Nunez or we're ready to cut Parmelee. And if we're ready to do that, they could just call up Darnell now anyway as an extra arm out of the pen for awhile and leave Deduno alone (that's what they did with Darnell earlier in the year).

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

I forgot about Diamond... but maybe it's best to do that anyway.

Rochester will need the 6th guy on Saturday, so if we take someone from them, Diamond will have to start then.

Doesn't look like a great opportunity for a quick guest start, unless we want to disable Nunez or we're ready to cut Parmelee. And if we're ready to do that, they could just call up Darnell now anyway as an extra arm out of the pen for awhile and leave Deduno alone (that's what they did with Darnell earlier in the year).

They could have Deduno take over one of the pen slots and option someone out temporarily (Thielbar?). But Parmelee and Nunez moves seem just as likely.

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,913 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

They could have Deduno take over one of the pen slots and option someone out temporarily (Thielbar?). But Parmelee and Nunez moves seem just as likely.

Any optioned player would have to stay down 10 days, which is why I though Parm or Nunez moves were more likely.

If they are just looking for an extra pitcher, though, I'd almost rather seem them make the move immediately for a reliever and let Deduno start on Thursday. Parmelee or an unable to play Nunez aren't going to help this team the next two days, and an extra pitcher Thursday thru Sunday isn't as valuable as one Tuesday thru Sunday.

#30 D.S.Baseball

D.S.Baseball

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

That would be a good comp.

What is the the news on Alex Wimmers....?