Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Wimmers has UCL tear

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

Second first round pick pitcher with it. They call it "partial" (last time they used that term was with Neshek) No news about surgery or not
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

You simply can't make it up...how depressing!

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just more bad, unfortunate news. Considering I was initially told elbow "soreness"... UGGH!

#4 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I know I'm not the first to say this, but they really outta get these kids Tommy John surgery for their 21st birthday. A very large surprise cake, a keg, and an appointment to Lewis Yocum's Tommy John surgery room.

Edited by Neinstein, 05 May 2012 - 06:38 PM.

"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,619 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sad, it most likely sets Wimmers back another year. I was hoping for a big comeback for him this year.

#6 JA

JA

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

This is very disappointing news. The worst part may be the "partial tear" part. Give him the surgery, and let's move on.

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Has anybody collected statistics for all MLB organizations, for the various kinds of major injuries like this? I don't follow any other team closely enough to know if a UCL is a once-every-three-years thing for an organization, or if everybody loses two or three prospect pitchers this way every year?

#8 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Alex Wimmers the latest #1 draft pick by scouting director Deron Johnson that is a complete bust. Wimmers, Gibson, Michael, and Hicks...Nice resume Deron you could not get a job cutting grass for any other organization..Anybody hopeful for draft this year forget about it.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,568 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Has anybody collected statistics for all MLB organizations, for the various kinds of major injuries like this? I don't follow any other team closely enough to know if a UCL is a once-every-three-years thing for an organization, or if everybody loses two or three prospect pitchers this way every year?

There was an article some place earlier this season saying that about 50% of SPs at some point will have UCL tears and will have to have TJ surgery. So it is not the Twins' plague only This amazes me on 2 counts:

a. Back in the "old days" (and I am thinking 80s and 90s) not too many people had TJ surgeries (even though starters threw more Ps per year)
b. Back in the old days people used to get cortizone injections left and right and were able to perform after a day or too. I haven't heard of any Twins having a Cortizone injection lately... I think the last one was either Crede or Hardy
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

Alex Wimmers the latest #1 draft pick by scouting director Deron Johnson that is a complete bust. Wimmers, Gibson, Michael, and Hicks...Nice resume Deron you could not get a job cutting grass for any other organization..Anybody hopeful for draft this year forget about it.

It's a bit early to call any of those guys a bust. Hicks is having a good season at AA, Gibson is healing from TJ but was a good pitcher when healthy, Micheal has been a pro for about a month.

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

There was an article some place earlier this season saying that about 50% of SPs at some point will have UCL tears and will have to have TJ surgery. So it is not the Twins' plague only

Yeah, I think that was in a SI article talking about the Rangers.

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

50% of starting pitchers will require TJ surgery? I wonder what Dr. Mike Marshall would have to say about that.

#13 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

The Twins medical staff screws up another........Guaranteed they will have him try to rehab only to find out that didn't work next spring and he will have the surgery and be out til 2014. This is just par for the course when your dealing with the worst front office and medical staff in the bigs.

#14 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

I updated my "adopted prospect" page accordingly. Sucks for Wimmers; sucks for Twins fans.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#15 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have heard no news on Wimmers. He has not pitched in a game since the first week of the season, and he has been in Ft. Myers rehabbing for a few weeks now. Optimism is waning.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar