Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Morneau to DL

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Who would the Twins call up to take Justin Morneau's spot? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Who would the Twins call up to take Justin Morneau's spot?

1. Aaron Bates (3 votes [12.00%])

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

2. Ray Chang (10 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. Brian Dozier (6 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

4. Darin Mastroianni (2 votes [8.00%])

Percentage of vote: 8.00%

5. Ben Revere (2 votes [8.00%])

6. Rene Tosoni (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Someone Else? Who? (2 votes [8.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

It sounds like the Twins will put Justin Morneau on the Disabled List on Monday. No word on who would be called up. Remember there is still room on the 40 man roster, so who do you think it will be? My vote is Ray Chang because I think the team needs a backup infielder who can play all three positions. He's also hitting about .300. Brian Dozier could get the call, but again, that would need to be in a full time role. Could be Darin Mastroianni, who has hit well with the Red Wings, but the Twins have outfielders. Aaron Bates hasn't hit a lot yet, but he had a solid big league camp and has big league time if the team feels the need to have a RH 1B to play along with Chris Parmelee (and Joe Mauer). Could be Ben Revere or Rene Tosoni to play in the outfield, but both of them would need to play daily. Who do you think?

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

Regardless who gets called up, there is something to be said for this team, for yet another time, waiting to put a player in the DL and just end up playing short handed, esp. during a time in which they are short handed because they have 13 pitchers. Last season when that stuff was happening, it was attributed to Bill Smith. Ryan needs to get some heat for it this season... Chang does make sense and it would be good to see him up. My vote was for Aaron Bates because he deserves it and he will be replacing a 1B/DH.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 5,839 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

The lack of improvement in handling the DL is one example of group think, and stagnation from refusing to bring in anyone with new ideas. I'd vote catcher, as Mauer moves to 1B.
Lighten up Francis....

#4 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 556 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Chang makes sense - I believe he can actually play all 4 IF positions

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

They probably could use a 14th pitcher, preferably one with backup catcher skillz.

#6 ltwedt

ltwedt

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:41 PM

Someone needs to take the heat with this goofy handling of the DL - why wasn't Morneau put on teh dl last week, when he felt it was bad enough to leave the team and travel back to MN for a checkup? No wonder the players on the field look like they are in a daze - their bosses don't have a clue about personnel decisions. Is there anyone in AA that we could call up to give Ryan-Gardy a bit of advice? Maybe the Twins need some new medical personnel. Just say'n

#7 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

I voted Chang, but that would make the most sense. It will probably be Revere because he's Gardy's boy. The catcher was already called up, get used to seeing him behind the plate.

#8 Mike in SD

Mike in SD

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I'm with Reusse, Sean Burroughs. (Never mind that vote for Darin Mastroianni​.)

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

I think they should go down to AA and promote Florimon. He's hitting very well there, has speed and a good glove. They need a backup IF and there are spots on the 40-man.

#10 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

The Twins have no deriction at all.

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:13 PM

Their biggest need is a middle infielder, they have no one on the 40-man except Nishi, they have no one at all in the organization who is ready and as good as Luke Hughes as a backup (Dozier needs to play everyday, so he would mean pulling the plug on either Carroll or Casilla and I don't see that happening right now). So if they add someone like Chang to the 40-man just for the sake of doing something they will face the same dilemma (as with Hughes) if they need to take him off later. If they bring up an outfielder who is on the 40-man then Plouffe remains Gardy's heartburn backup in the infield. Dropping Hughes is looking more and more like a screwup to me. Bring back Bill Smith, I don't recall roster issues with him. I'll vote for my adoptee Mastro since he does the least harm, being on the 40-man already.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 05 May 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#12 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Give Chang a shot...

#13 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'd like to see Matt Carson get a shot. He's redundant when it comes to what he offers in the field, but he's a right-handed hitter with power. Let's see if his power plays at Target Field.

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:10 PM

An entire week with a 13 man pitching staff and a 24 man roster. Are they too cheap to DL. Morneau because they'd have to fly someone all the way to the west coast? Is this even a major league team anymore?

#15 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

I think the Twins have been pretty bad at managing when to move players to the DL, but in this case I don't really mind the wait. Look at the guys people are talking about to replace him (I know Dozier got the call), but mentioning Bates, Florimon, Chang, etc... really are any of those guys going to help the Twins offense the way Morneau would if he's able to play healthy? The possible callups are so bad, I think the Twins were right to wait, it's not like these guys are going to be of much help anyway. Not worth the possible loss of Morneau for 10 days if he can play IMO. Even Dozier at this point isn't going to be much of an upgrade over Carroll or Valencia. I would have agreed if there was someone crushing in the AA or AAA that could have played OF-1B, but that guy doesn't exist. It is what it is.

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

It sounds like the Twins will put Justin Morneau on the Disabled List on Monday. No word on who would be called up. Remember there is still room on the 40 man roster, so who do you think it will be?

My vote is Ray Chang because I think the team needs a backup infielder who can play all three positions. He's also hitting about .300.

Brian Dozier could get the call, but again, that would need to be in a full time role.

Could be Darin Mastroianni, who has hit well with the Red Wings, but the Twins have outfielders.

Aaron Bates hasn't hit a lot yet, but he had a solid big league camp and has big league time if the team feels the need to have a RH 1B to play along with Chris Parmelee (and Joe Mauer).

Could be Ben Revere or Rene Tosoni to play in the outfield, but both of them would need to play daily.

Who do you think?

I'm confused. I thought it was going to be Dozier. Didn't they already do that? So confused . . .

Chang spent a tiny bit of time at first for the Boston (?) affiliate in AA (?) (not sure) in 2010, I think, so he could actually backup all four spots if absolutely needed (LH pitcher, for instance).

Also, wasn't Chang the guy Span mistook Nishioka for at the beginning of spring training last year? On principle, he should be called up just to make that funnier. Chang is better than Nishioka.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Is B-Dozy coming up for somebody else?

#18 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Is B-Dozy coming up for somebody else?

I don't think so. I don't think it had been announced yet when Seth posted this.

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:48 PM

I don't think so. I don't think it had been announced yet when Seth posted this.

Oh, duh. Note to self: look at the damn original post time.