Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins@Tigers 6/15 12:08:47PM

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,119 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

Game Time Temp 73 and Rain will fall elsewhere on the planet.

Twins SP: Ricky Nolasco

1. Santana SS
2. Mauer 1B
3. Dozier 2B
4. Willingham LF
5. Morales DH
6. Arcia RF
7. Suzuki C
8. Fuld CF
9. Escobar 3B

Tigers SP: Rick Porcello

1. Kinsler 2B
2. Hunter RF
3. Cabrera 1B
4. V. Martinez DH
5. J.D. Martinez LF
6. Jackson CF
7. Castellanos 3B
8. Avila C
9. Saurez SS

Things to Think About:

1. Voodoo Dolls -- Saturday the 14th was unlucky for the Twins. Ugly game to watch on it's own but with Plouffe going down with an injury and his backup Eduardo Nunez also going down with an injury and the game took a couple steps beyond a simple ugly baseball game. The front office is looking into the obviously connected injuries and discovered a voodoo doll in the Rochester locker stall of Deibinson Romero. The evidence was obvious... Doll #24... had a needle stuck through the left oblique and doll #9 had a needle stuck through the right hamstring. Voodoo is quite common in the Dominican Republic so it all makes sense and the scary part of this discovery was that these dolls were not alone. Doll #30 was holding a cookie in his right hand... Doll #21 would not stay centered... it would face slightly to the right and slightly to the left but never centered... Doll #7 had a snake clamped on to his arm and Doll #35 was completely headless. The Twins opted to call up Pedro Florimon while Romero's dolls were confiscated.

2. Rick Porcello -- He's been pitching in the majors for a long time but he is only 25 years old. He hails from Morristown New Jersey. Morristown is famous because General George Washington and his troops camped there for 5 months during the Vietnam War. Fast Forward to today and Morristown is known as the hometown of Peter Dinklage. Rick was drafted in the 1st round of the 2007 draft... 27th overall. Tiger fans were screaming at the front office because they were clearly dragging their feet advancing Porcello. After 125 agonizing innings at High A Ball pitching in Lakeland Florida. The Tigers finally caved to the pressure and gave him a place on the opening day roster in 2009 at the age of 20. While he was clearly beyond what is normally considered a prospect. He managed to pitch just well enough to stay in the majors despite never producing an ERA below 4.00. With Porcello... It's all about the sinker and the talent of the infield behind him.

3. Pedro Florimon -- He's back... and if Nunez doesn't get better soon... He may even play someday. I know... I make myself laugh with comments like that.

4. The Rubber Game -- The Twins had better want this one. The AL Central is a log jam and winning a series against the division leader is important. Even in June... I know... I make myself laugh with comments like that.

5. Father's Day -- I'm a father... My Oldest Son is out of town and my youngest son is recovering from Nose Surgery. So it'll be a quiet Father's day for me. At least it better be... Because... My son needs to sleep off the meds. To all the Father's out there... Those kids need you for balance. Mom sometimes forgets your schedule while Dad sometimes forgets your name. Mom won't let you play video games while Dad won't let you play his video games. Mom likes new clothes while Dad has clothes. I remember helping my son with a college paper... He needed to understand the difference between potential and reality. He asked me what's the difference between the two. I told him to ask his mother if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars. He was confused but he did and she said... "For a million dollars... I suppose I would". My son came back and told me the answer but he still didn't get it. As a Father I was then able to teach me son that "we potentially have a million dollars but in reality your mother is a prostitute".

Edited by Riverbrian, 15 June 2014 - 11:01 AM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

So I take it the broken nose required the surgery? Hope he feels better soon. In the meantime, I'm sure you're catering to his every whim. :)

And OMG, I laughed at the Voodoo Dolls.

Happy Father's and Son's Day!

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

5. Father's Day -- I'm a father... My Oldest Son is out of town and my youngest son is recovering from Nose Surgery. So it'll be a quiet Father's day for me. At least it better be... Because... My son needs to sleep off the meds. To all the Father's out there... Those kids need you for balance. Mom sometimes forgets your schedule while Dad sometimes forgets your name. Mom won't let you play video games while Dad won't let you play his video games. Mom likes new clothes while Dad has clothes. I remember helping my son with a college paper... He needed to understand the difference between potential and reality. He asked me what's the difference between the two. I told him to ask his mother if she would sleep with Brad Pitt for a million dollars. He was confused but he did and she said... "For a million dollars... I suppose I would". My son came back and told me the answer but he still didn't get it. As a Father I was then able to teach me son that "we potentially have a million dollars but in reality your mother is a prostitute".

Well then...

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

I don't recall the last time Mauer hit a ball in the air to right field. San Francisco maybe?

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,119 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

So I take it the broken nose required the surgery? Hope he feels better soon. In the meantime, I'm sure you're catering to his every whim. :)

And OMG, I laughed at the Voodoo Dolls.

Happy Father's and Son's Day!

He had a bell that he'd ring if needed something. He was using too much during Twins games so I hid it.

He's doing much better now. He doesn't need the meds as much anymore and he's starting to act more like himself. The bandages are still in place to remind you that he isn't quite normal yet.

Everything is good... I still expect him to attend college.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

He had a bell that he'd ring if needed something. He was using too much during Twins games so I hid it.

He's doing much better now. He doesn't need the meds as much anymore and he's starting to act more like himself. The bandages are still in place to remind you that he isn't quite normal yet.

Everything is good... I still expect him to attend college.

And he can write his first English 101 paper on what I did during my summer vacation.

#7 Sconnie

Sconnie

King of his Castle

• Members
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:23 AM

3. Pedro Florimon -- He's back... and if Nunez doesn't get better soon... He may even play someday. I know... I make myself laugh with comments like that.

In general RB, you make laugh too, but this one isn't funny in the least.

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

Adventures in the Outfield, Day 2

#9 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:27 AM

Somebody explain to Arcia how sunglasses work. I've been pretty impressed with his improvement since last year, but I'm rethinking my position.

#10 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

Adventures in the Outfield, Day 62

ftfy.

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,119 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

I hate when runs score like that. It's should be Nil-Nil.

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

I hate when runs score like that. It's should be Nil-Nil.

At least Arcia has the capabiity of hitting a HR to make up for his gaffe.

#13 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:33 AM

So was the first inning run one of the "earned" variety?

#14 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

So was the first inning run one of the "earned" variety?

Yup. "Earned." Double, ground ball, K, "double." No "errors" involved in the run scoring.

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Jackson = Fast

Willingham = Slow

Not a good combo.

#16 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Dat outfield defense though

#17 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:40 AM

This is the outfield defense the a Twins expect to win games with this year. No worries for Nolasco though. It won't hurt his FIP.

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Can we take the word "victimized" out of Bremer's vocabulary???

#19 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

That one's tough to blame Willingham on, IMO. Crazy bounce out of that corner and as an outfielder you have no idea how that ball's gonna come out of there.

I put that one on Ricky Nolasco giving up a screaming line drive.

#20 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

The Twins opted to call up Pedro Florimon while Romero's dolls were confiscated.

I saw news reports about the first part but nothing about the second. Are you sure you didn't make that part up?

#21 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

That one's tough to blame Willingham on, IMO. Crazy bounce out of that corner and as an outfielder you have no idea how that ball's gonna come out of there.

I put that one on Ricky Nolasco giving up a screaming line drive.

Yeah, I watched it again.

Fact is that Nolasco has been hurt by some shaky outfield defense.

Other fact is that Nolasco has not pitched well.

#22 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Pa Ingalls gave the same illustration in "Little Town on the Prairie."

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

I don't recall the last time Mauer hit a ball in the air to right field. San Francisco maybe?

I reviewed the game thread before coming up to speed on the PBP. You had me hoping, with this wording.

#24 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,119 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:45 AM

I saw news reports about the first part but nothing about the second. Are you sure you didn't make that part up?

You know me well enough to know that I'm pretty stone faced.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,611 posts

Pa Ingalls gave the same illustration in "Little Town on the Prairie."

I read some of the books and watched most of the TV series. Are you sure you didn't make that part up?

#26 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Now would be an excellent time to stop giving up runs.

#27 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

I read some of the books and watched most of the TV series. Are you sure you didn't make that part up?

He mixed up Pa Ingalls with Little Joe.

#28 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,043 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

You'd think they were still accustomed to playing in the Dome.

#29 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

He mixed up Pa Ingalls with Little Joe.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2XWt_KVDvGOz1thG9M7f_LF98lty__NxiqvrC5t0FsKX5ugXy4w

//posted mostly cause i'm growing bored watching nolasco try to get through the bottom of the second.//

#30 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

Strggles, struggles, struggles! Already this club doesn't deserve to win this game.