Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Walker wins HR Derby

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

At the FSL All Star game, Adam Walker dominated and won the home run Derbyshire.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

If I'm reading correctly, he had a round of 36.

#3 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I was wondering too...

Found this:

"The derby features eight participants, including Bradenton Marauders outfielder Josh Bell, and will be broken into two rounds. Each hitter will have three minutes to hit as many home runs over McKechnie's regular wall (worth two points) or an auxiliary fence placed in the outfield (one point)."

http://www.bradenton...e-friendly.html

Either way, the kid continued to impress. Perhaps a poor man's Jose Abreu (a lesser .260 AVG .314 OBP .600 SLG)....

[COLOR=#000000]
Read more here: http://www.bradenton...l#storylink=cpy
[/COLOR]

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Aside from winning the HR Derby, walker also went 3-5 with a home run in the game itself and was named MVP.

#5 Doug Y

Doug Y

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Has anyone seen him play? Can he translate to MLB pitching? We have seen Chris Parmelee and Chris Collabello dominate at lower levels, but until you see him in person, you can't always tell if he can hit a MLB fastball or breaking stuff. Too early to tell?

#6 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:36 PM

Has anyone seen him play? Can he translate to MLB pitching? We have seen Chris Parmelee and Chris Collabello dominate at lower levels, but until you see him in person, you can't always tell if he can hit a MLB fastball or breaking stuff. Too early to tell?

I think more people should ask the pitchers in the leagues he plays against what they think of him? Are they fearful or do they expect to make him swing and miss? He can hit a good pitch or bad pitch 400+ feet when he gets a hold of it. His swing plane definitely varies.

Must see video - (Must watch on conventional Desk Top or Lap Top / No "I Pads"). Should show highlights of only Walker hitting the ball if played on correct computer.
http://www.youtube.c...ube.617kUQFl_FQ

Play the Adam Brett Walker Kernel Highlights Video (29 clips)

Edited by lightfoot789, 17 June 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

He just can't get on base. His OBP is under .300 and he's only taken 19 BB compared to 73K. I love the power, but he's not going anywhere if he can't make more contact and draw more walks. One would think the best power hitter in the league would get pitched around, but the numbers indicate that he wants to swing at everything.

#8 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

Watched some of those vids lightfoot posted - boy he has an easy swing.

#9 KirbyHawk75

KirbyHawk75

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:56 AM

He just can't get on base. His OBP is under .300 and he's only taken 19 BB compared to 73K. I love the power, but he's not going anywhere if he can't make more contact and draw more walks. One would think the best power hitter in the league would get pitched around, but the numbers indicate that he wants to swing at everything.

Thanks for the excellent feedback.. Sounds like he has a ways to go. Has potential though.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:08 PM

I haven't seen him play, but all his scouting reports remind me of Vlad Guerero for some reason... Not sure if that's a good comp or not, but he was a free swinger with some serious power.

#11 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:47 PM

I haven't seen him play, but all his scouting reports remind me of Vlad Guerero for some reason... Not sure if that's a good comp or not, but he was a free swinger with some serious power.

I like the Vlad comparison, but Walker will have to improve his contact rate to be closer to Vlad. Vlad hit good and bad pitches hard. If he improves his pitch recognition..........Wow!

Just found this online:
Walker at HR Derby

#12 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:04 PM

I couldn't find game highlights. He has a quiet swing but ball seems to jump off the bat IMO