Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Game Thread: Twins@Tigers 6/14 3:08PM

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 8,863 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Forecast: 70 Degrees and No Rain scheduled.

Twins SP: Sam Deduno

1. Santana SS
2. Fuld CF
3. Mauer 1B
4. Willingham LF
5. Morales DH
6. Arcia RF
7. Plouffe 3B
8. Fryer C
9. Escobar 2B

Tigers SP: Anibel Sanchez

1. Kinsler 2B
2. Hunter RF
3. Cabrera 1B
4. V. Martinez DH
5. J.D. Martinez LF
6. Jackson CF
7. Castellenos 3B
8. Avila C
9. Suarez SS

Things to Think About:

1. 3:08PM -- OK... What's the deal? Who is making up these start times. Whoever it is... They are trying just a little too hard to be creative. 3:05 and 3:10 is a nice even start time... 3:08 is just odd(yeah I know it's technically even). If they ever list a start time as 3:08 and 47 Seconds. I'll probably start following a new sport.

2. Sam Deduno -- I'm a loud believer in Sam Deduno and there are times this year that I have been rolling against the tide. My support is not wavering however he has failed to reach 6 innings in his last 4 starts and he will need to increase his IP if he wants to remain a starter in the future. Sam... if you are reading this... Just trust your stuff and attack the strike zone. The walks are your biggest bugaboo. Curb those things and you'll be surprised how happy you are and everyone else is. I stopped walking at night and I'm much happier.

3. Anibel Sanchez -- He's 30 years old and he hails from Maracay on the Caribbean Coast of Venezuela. Bullfighting is popular in Maracay... If you don't know anything about bullfighting... It's a rather simple sport. A matador dresses himself in sparkly Wal-Mart clothing while holding a red blanket. The color Red upsets the bull and he charges. The Matador then attempts to dance the with the bull while stabbing it with a variety of objects. Lances, short spears, needles, pencils, Q-Tips, long fingernails and icicles are thrust into the ball. Eventually the animal and half the audience is bored to death and they all lay down and die. Sanchez has been troublesome to those he has been pitching against. His 2014 ERA sits at 2.24... His WHIP is Below 1. He's actually one of my favorite pitchers to watch because you never know what he's gonna throw in any count. He commands a variety of stuff. I suspect that's why his numbers are very good.

4. Eduardo Escobar -- I know there is a bunch of TD'ers who expect regression. Maybe he will... But last night he convinced me that he's a ball player. That at-bat in the 9th against a struggling Joe Nathan was a thing of beauty. It's something that gamers do. He was fouling off some pretty good pitches to draw a bases loaded walk. We needed an insurance run and he got the job done in a key moment. Tomorrow he may regress to face falling but today... I don't care... Escobar combined with Gibson were all it took for a big victory... He's my SS. (Oops... He's playing 2B again today).

5. The Age of Babies -- A friend has a two year old... You look at the him and you'd obviously guess that he was two years old. But... while small talking and out of things to say... I asked... "How Old"? She replied "25 Months". I immediately wondered why she didn't simply say 2 years old. It was my turn to say something but there was a long pause in the conversation as I was doing math in my head... Finally I said... "We'll... I'm 585 Months old". I figured it was her turn to do the math... So I said... "No calculators... Good seeing you... I'll talk to you later"... And I walked away.
A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

5. The Age of Babies -- A friend has a two year old... You look at the him and you'd obviously guess that he was two years old. But... while small talking and out of things to say... I asked... "How Old"? She replied "25 Months". I immediately wondered why she didn't simply say 2 years old. It was my turn to say something but there was a long pause in the conversation as I was doing math in my head... Finally I said... "We'll... I'm 585 Months old". I figured it was her turn to do the math... So I said... "No calculators... Good seeing you... I'll talk to you later"... And I walked away.

How old are most kids when they stop appending "and a half" when necessary? I'm very sure it's before age 49, and I don't recall a college senior informing me she was 22 and a half, but not exactly sure when the cutoff really is.

PS, it's helpful to know I don't need to check online before 3:07:47.

#3 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Interested to see Fryer ... Deduno's personal catcher is everyone but Suzuki. (That's not a rap on Zuk -- just the reality of unpredictable Sammy).

So we have 2 bullfighters in Sanchez and Escobar? (Both from Maracay). Let's hope the one with the stick takes it to the one with the ball.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

4. Eduardo Escobar -- I know there is a bunch of TD'ers who expect regression. Maybe he will... But last night he convinced me that he's a ball player. That at-bat in the 9th against a struggling Joe Nathan was a thing of beauty. It's something that gamers do. He was fouling off some pretty good pitches to draw a bases loaded walk. We needed an insurance run and he got the job done in a key moment. Tomorrow he may regress to face falling but today... I don't care... Escobar combined with Gibson were all it took for a big victory... He's my SS. (Oops... He's playing 2B again today).

If you thought that AB vs. Nathan was a thing of beauty, you should have watched Eduardo fight off those post-game questions from Jamie Lee Curtis last night....and sort-of in "English"....gotta give the guy credit for giving it a shot....and the big smile and celebration at the end of the interview translate in any language.

#5 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Is it time to be a bit worried about Dozier's back?

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

I was worried from the moment he was quoted that he had sought "treatment" from a Detroit chiropractor.

#7 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

Bulls are colorblind, they charge the flapping of the cape.

#8 drunksam

drunksam

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

Last I read he saw a chiropractor, did it not help?
Better looking with the lights out.

#9 Mauerpower

Mauerpower

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

With the exception if dozier being out, I'm pretty happy/excited about the line up today.

#10 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

Dozier is supposed to be available off the bench.

Last year he had a similar tightness and missed 3 games (I think). Apparently his lower back doesn't like playing on artificial turf so its a good thing that the Twins have gotten back to nature.

#11 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:27 PM

What are the reports on Dozier? Is he improving or did he have a (dreaded) setback? He is, no doubt, the team's best player and they could use him real soon (like today).

#12 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:28 PM

Bulls are colorblind, they charge the flapping of the cape.

I've read they're upset at the sparkly WalMart clothing, since most in their country are too poor to shop at WalMart, and must make do with unsparkly Peso Generalisimo duds.

#13 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

I've read they're upset at the sparkly WalMart clothing, since most in their country are too poor to shop at WalMart, and must make do with unsparkly Peso Generalisimo duds.

I can't click El Like-o to that one, sorry. :)

#14 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:35 PM

Hunter's leg cramp is gone? Hmm. Maybe today's performance is one small data point in the no sex before the game hypothesis. I will be watching to see if, for example, Hunter runs through any stop signs or overthrows any cutoff men.

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

I will be watching to see if, for example, Hunter runs through any stop signs or overthrows any cutoff men.

These are baseball references, I trust? Or part of your hypothesis?

#16 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

No, we should wait a couple days to start worrying, and then we'll reassess.

#17 Willihammer

Willihammer

ice cream correspondent

• Members
  • 2,822 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

What? Too controversial? He got leg cramps making love to his wife. I assume that is why he sat out yesterday. And assume he is in today because he didn't aggravate the condition.

#18 longtimefan

longtimefan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

I just hope the offence shows up today (ours), I have a hunch we are going to need about 6 runs to win today, lets have one of those 2 run homers in the first again!!!!!!:s-ctf:

#19 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

jim rome show, beaten to death by espn1500.

#20 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

jim rome show, beaten to death by espn1500.

Ah, missed that reference. +1 to Willi for the post, +1 to you for the needed explanation.

I should have just gone with "Runs through stop signs? Overthrows the cutoff man? Giggety."

#21 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Queen.

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationChiTown, where else?

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

If TJ surgery hasn't already been scheduled, I think he will be okay to play soon.

#22 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

If TJ surgery hasn't already been scheduled, I think he will be okay to play soon.

The surgeon removed a herniated disc, but is day-to-day on sewing him back up.

#23 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

#24 alskntwnsfn

alskntwnsfn

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

Here's a fun exercise, take the days lineup and rearrange it without biases, basically put a few table setters at the top and then rank the next best 7 starting with number three.

1. Santana SS 1. Santana
2. Fuld CF 2. Escobar
3. Mauer 1B 3. Willingham
4. Willingham LF 4. Morales
5. Morales DH 5. Arica
6. Arcia RF 6. Mauer
7. Plouffe 3B 7. Plouffe
8. Fryer C 8. Fryer
9. Escobar 2B 9. Fuld

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:12 PM

Fuld's back. Good to have a centerfielder in the lineup. Without one of those, there's too much chance of balls landing between LF and RF and rolling all the way to the wall.

#26 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

Who are you today, Mr. Sam I Am?

#27 alskntwnsfn

alskntwnsfn

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

So, when Dozier does come back, can we please just do a platoon with Plouffe/Escobar at 3B? Assuming no else goes down and we need another backup CF. That's gotta happen, right?

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

Torii gets some good carom action in the LF corner. Somewhat of a Slow Mule Race to see whether Willingham gets to it in time to prevent the triple. Josh wins this time.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Who are you today, Mr. Sam I Am?

Not a real mystery to the batters as yet. Four swings. No misses, though one was a nubber.

/ JD Martinez however was a different story, with two bad swings, and a nice called strike perhaps aided by Fryer.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 14 June 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#30 alskntwnsfn

alskntwnsfn

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Just think how much Mauer would be struggling if he didn't have fresh legs.