Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Top 10 Prospects: Post-Draft Edition

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 815 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:22 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...t-Draft-Edition

#2 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

No Vargas, Romero, Gonsalves, Burdi, Diaz, Walker, Kepler.....

There's a lot of talent here. Let's hope a bunch of it translates to the majors.

#3 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...t-Draft-Edition

I have a question about Kohl that would help me figure out where he should be ranked. How many sliders is he throwing? I have heard none, I have heard a few? If he is only throwing 5-10 sliders per outing or less, I think his numbers are phenomenal.

He has never focused solely on baseball until this year and we have taken his best pitch away from him. And he has a 2.67 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 6.2 K per 9 and only one HR. If the slider is as good as advertised, he could probably mow batters down with it, but to put up these numbers primarily through two pitches is very encouraging to me.

I would put him ahead of Gordon and Berrios if he is really throwing only a few sliders.

I could be talked into Meyer over Sano too. I am high on Sano, but potential ace versus a great hitter that is not going to hit for average of provide much value defensively.....

Edited by tobi0040, 10 June 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:50 AM

That looks about right. You could argue that May could be a slot or two higher. I think I'd put Burdi 10th.

#5 jsimssd72

jsimssd72

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

That looks about right. You could argue that May could be a slot or two higher. I think I'd put Burdi 10th.

I agree I would put Burdi over Thorpe just based on possible arrival time to help the MLB team. Burdi could be a quick riser with his two quality pitches and into the Twins Bullpen before we know it.

#6 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:41 AM

Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight; I wish I May, I wish I Meyer, have the wish I wish tonight.

#7 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

As a Dominican, I don't Sano can go to the Arizona Fall League

#8 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:19 PM

I think your top 10 is made up of the right people. We could quibble about rankings. For example, I would rank Gordon (who hasn't played an inning yet) behind Berrios. I could see May a couple of notches higher.

The Twins' farm system is so well stocked that I couldn't put a college reliever in the Top 10

#9 cmb0252

cmb0252

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

I still have Stewart at #4 with Gordon sliding in at #5. I don't see the point of getting worried after 55 innings about one stat, in low A, for a 19 year old who had never focused on baseball before vs older competition. Kid has premium stuff.

#10 ShouldaCouldaWoulda

ShouldaCouldaWoulda

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:09 PM

Would it make more sense for the Twins to bring up both May and Meyer and put them in the bullpen for the rest of this season? That way they can pith the whole season and not worry about being shut down early. Seems like they would be more valuable that way. Then, the Twins could possibly even start them in AAA next year to stretch them out if they needed to buy more time on their clocks. They also would not have to cut bait on any of our starters right now that we overpaid for, but instead get rid of our worst two bullpen arms.

#11 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

Would it make more sense for the Twins to bring up both May and Meyer and put them in the bullpen for the rest of this season? That way they can pith the whole season and not worry about being shut down early. Seems like they would be more valuable that way. Then, the Twins could possibly even start them in AAA next year to stretch them out if they needed to buy more time on their clocks. They also would not have to cut bait on any of our starters right now that we overpaid for, but instead get rid of our worst two bullpen arms.

Meyer will probably get some BP time this year - he's on a pitch and innings limit but May doesn't have that problem. He's a workhorse. He's pitched 150 innings each of the last 3 seasons + some AFL time last year. He could pitch 200 innings this year and not be a concern.

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

I still have Stewart at #4 with Gordon sliding in at #5. I don't see the point of getting worried after 55 innings about one stat, in low A, for a 19 year old who had never focused on baseball before vs older competition. Kid has premium stuff.

I have no concerns over Stewart - love him and think he's a top 35-40 prospect in all baseball. Just like Gordon more.

#13 Sam Morley

Sam Morley

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

Everything that I've read about Stewart this season indicates that he has been foregoing his slider, which is his strikeout pitch, to develop his change.

Are there any good scouting videos on Gordon out there? The one on MLB.com just shows him hitting some grounders. It would be nice to see what he looks like in the field, and maybe taking some cuts in BP.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 03:46 PM

As a Dominican, I don't Sano can go to the Arizona Fall League

He can IF his team there allows him to... Not sure if they would or not, probably would.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

Your list looks a lot different that mine, and not only on the top ;)

(Polanco is a ShortStop until further notice. Not a 2B, btw, has not played a single inning at second this season)

I still do not get what Vargas needs to do to get consideration from certain people. He is hitting .319/.394/.505 in New Britain at an age 1.5 years younger than the average EL age (he is 23). For comparison's sake, Justin Morneau's career line in New Britain was: .293/.351/.475 (most at age 22.)

Ranking a high school kid who has holes in his play (plate discipline and contact) number four in this loaded system, is pretty tough to accept...

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:47 PM

I am soon posting mine, and it looks a little different than both of yours. But Thrylos is right about Vargas. Maybe not quite that high, given the difference between starting pitching and 1B/DH, but it is pretty obvious that Vargas is a top 10 prospect. I think that we might be able to look at Morales as the stop-gap for what Vargas might actually be. There are some similarities there.

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:20 PM

I think that we might be able to look at Morales as the stop-gap for what Vargas might actually be. There are some similarities there.

indeed :) I think that I've heard that somewhere too:

Kennys will likely replace Kendrys as the full time DH in 2015

looking forward to your list Shane
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:04 PM

There isn't a huge difference in value between CF and 2B. Especially when most analysis said that Rosario played a tolerable 2B.

VARGAS!

#19 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=Thrylos;241427Ranking a high school kid who has holes in his play (plate discipline and contact) number four in this loaded system, is pretty tough to accept...[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. I am excited about Gordon, but new doesn't always mean better. He and Kohl were drafted basically in the same place and Kohl seemed farther along, i.e. Gordon needs his hit/power tool to develop. I think we are making way too big of a deal about Kohl's 6.5 K per 9, given his age, the fact that he has never been a full time pitcher, is not using his best pitch, and has pretty amazing numbers outside of the K's.

#20 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Not excited about Fuld at all. Would prefer to keep Hicks out there but what would Rosario have to do to get promoted to Twins center fielder in the next 6 weeks or so?

#21 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

I still do not get what Vargas needs to do to get consideration from certain people. He is hitting .319/.394/.505 in New Britain at an age 1.5 years younger than the average EL age (he is 23). For comparison's sake, Justin Morneau's career line in New Britain was: .293/.351/.475 (most at age 22.)

I would guess most folks who visit this site are excited about Vargas

If the #5 pick in the most recent draft isn't in your top ten prospect list well...something was wrong with your pick. And 11 or even 12 on this list isn't a sign Vargas isn't getting consideration. Its just a sign of a system that is stacking up nicely from top to bottom

#22 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:06 PM

As it pertains to how we rate prospects and Top players as fans........

Edited by lightfoot789, 10 June 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#23 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

1) If AB Walker were to hit for 30 HRs and 110+ RBI in the (pitcher friendly) FSL - which he is on pace for (BTW) - But hit only .278 and held an OBP of .300 - Would he crack the Top 10 Prospect Rankings?

Consider the new draft signees who might replace him in the current standings and also the fact that he is only 22 years old this season.

2) If you lead the league in HRs and RBI throughout each of your minor league stops (Rookie / A / A+ / AA / AAA) and your teams remain in 1st place at those stops - Would you eventually become a believer? or remain a skeptic because of the OBP?

3) Does being a winner ever become a factor?

4) Would Joe Mauer be considered a HOFer if he played 1st base throughout his career considering the other American League 1st basemen throughout his years? Would OBP and Average have been enough for Fans to consider him a STAR? Would his lack of production (HRs & RBI) have hurt him?

#24 TheBigGuy7273

TheBigGuy7273

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Rosario has played a lot of CF to my knowledge since he returned, is he an insurance policy in the case of injuries? or sub-par play. Santanna is playing his tail off, but we all know he will come back to earth at some point, and we know that Hicks should probably be sent down. As much as I think Rosario could be up, I doubt it until september, and even at that, Is he on the forty man? I can see him being in Rochester at or shortly after the all star break, but that being said it will be in the OF, and second base i think is becoming more of an after thought, with how well Dozier and Escobar and Santanna are playing, Nunez in the fold. I think they feel much more comfortable with keeping him in the OF, yet still giving him time at 2nd.

#25 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 12:05 AM

1) If AB Walker were to hit for 30 HRs and 110+ RBI in the (pitcher friendly) FSL - which he is on pace for (BTW) - But hit only .278 and held an OBP of .300 - Would he crack the Top 10 Prospect Rankings?

Consider the new draft signees who might replace him in the current standings and also the fact that he is only 22 years old this season.

2) If you lead the league in HRs and RBI throughout each of your minor league stops (Rookie / A / A+ / AA / AAA) and your teams remain in 1st place at those stops - Would you eventually become a believer? or remain a skeptic because of the OBP?

4) Would Joe Mauer be considered a HOFer if he played 1st base throughout his career considering the other American League 1st basemen throughout his years? Would OBP and Average have been enough for Fans to consider him a STAR? Would his lack of production (HRs & RBI) have hurt him?

Three batting titles with .405 OBP and .863 OPS don't exist in any other catcher except Mike Piazza as far as I can think of. I believe it stacks up well with many 1st basemen in the HOF. Rod Carew for example is in the Hall as a 1st baseman. Of course it doesn't stack up very well with Cabrerra but many HOFers don't either. Because of his problems the last couple years people forget just how good Mauer was in the prior decade. His HOF resume would look quite nice if he can put up another 6 years of career average. His OBP, average and OPS are really good so yeah, he was a star. His RBI totals suffered a bit from batting behind the likes of Punto, Casilla, etc. He was really a very good #2 hitter who was just a good #3 hitter. If he doesn't get his game back I would put him more in the Tony Oliva fringe candidate. Still great. Having caught for 8 or so years will only help.

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

[quote name='lightfoot789'] 1) If AB Walker were to hit for 30 HRs and 110+ RBI in the (pitcher friendly) FSL - which he is on pace for (BTW) - But hit only .278 and held an OBP of .300 - Would he crack the Top 10 Prospect Rankings?

2) If you lead the league in HRs and RBI throughout each of your minor league stops (Rookie / A / A+ / AA / AAA) and your teams remain in 1st place at those stops - Would you eventually become a believer? or remain a skeptic because of the OBP? [/QUOTE]

I don't think so because I believe that most people are doing these rankings on perceived future contributions to the MLB club and if Walker can't get on base in A ball, he certainly won't at the MLB level. I'd suspect he'd get eaten alive in AAA in fact.

[quote name='lightfoot789'] 3) Does being a winner ever become a factor? [/QUOTE]

Nope. Showing the tools needed to succeed at the MLB level is more important, and he's not doing that. Being able to get on base is probably one of the biggest indicators of upward success. Even if it wasn't, the Twins clearly value it and may hold him back simply for this reason.

[quote name='lightfoot789'] 4) Would Joe Mauer be considered a HOFer if he played 1st base throughout his career considering the other American League 1st basemen throughout his years? Would OBP and Average have been enough for Fans to consider him a STAR? Would his lack of production (HRs & RBI) have hurt him? [/QUOTE]

No, but mostly because the other stud 1B also have great OBP skills. Cabrera, Pujols, Fielder, Teixeira, Votto, these guys all get/got on base at a tremendous rate as well.

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 07:49 AM

If the #5 pick in the most recent draft isn't in your top ten prospect list well...something was wrong with your pick.

And/or your system is deep. I think that both were the case here. The Twins did not pick the best player available. That would be Jackson. Also I don't even think that Gordon is the Twins' too prospect at SS. That would be Polanco. I think that Gordon is a top ten prospect in this system but no way a top five.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

1) Walker - probably not. I don't care about OBP that much but the problem it suggests - lack of plate discipline - is something that would probably be fatal to him at AA.

2) The power is nice but I'd still be worried about plate discipline.

3) Not really. Lots of players have played on winning teams and not made the majors.

4) I think he would. People forget how good of a bat he has, period. It wasn't "he's good for a catcher." It was an elite bat. His career OPS+ coming into this season, which doesn't take into account position or league, was as good as or better than many other great hitters, including Teixeira, Howard, Adrian Gonzalez, David Wright, Griffey, Longoria, Kaline, etc. And I think it would be fair to say that his numbers would have been slightly better if he didn't have the wear and tear of catching in those seasons on him - and his counting stats would have been better. I guess that's a long way of saying that Mauer's hitting ability was always HOF caliber regardless of position.

#29 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

[wrong thread]
Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
Spring Training Regular since 2011.

#30 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'd be surprised if the twins didn't have the consensus top ranked farm system after the season. only santana will have for sure graduated from last year's top ten, and possibly meyer.